PDA

View Full Version : Best Sit-Down at Hollywood Studios

disney1026
05-06-2015, 11:53 AM
We typically leave this park in the afternoon, but for our upcoming trip we want to stay for Fantasmic. What are your recommendations for the best sit-down (1 table credit) restaurant at this park. We have two young kids and have already eaten at Sci-Fi. We'd like to try something else, but I keep seeing just mixed reviews about the various restaurants.

Thanks!

CleveSJM
05-06-2015, 11:58 AM
We really like Prime Time. Fun atmosphere, good service, basic menu everyone likes.

DisneyWorld1971
05-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Mama Melrose is our favorite!! We eat here all the time.

Zippy 1
05-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Another vote for Prime Time Cafe! We had a blast there. Can not wait to go back. You have to be willing to play along with the wait staff - but what fun:mickey:

taleasoldastime
05-06-2015, 12:14 PM
I vote Mama Melrose. I had a great experience there on my last trip!

Sylvia
05-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Another vote for 50s Prime Time. Definitely fun for all ages and delicious food. :mickey: :mickey: :mickey:

Strmchsr
05-06-2015, 01:29 PM
The only sit down I don't like at DHS is Brown Derby and that's just because I don't like "froo-froo" food. But Mama Melrose, Prime Time, and SciFi are all fun places to eat.

#1donaldfan
05-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Prime Time has good food and a lot of fun. Mamma Melrose is good too without the fun.
Brown Derby....did it once and glad it's over !!

linedropper
05-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Ate at Mama Melrose once and we loved it. We also like breakfast at ABC studios, simple and never crowded. Prime time is the best!

Steve:mickey:

KylesMom
05-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Our favorite has always been Mama Melrose :wine:

VacationDisney
05-07-2015, 08:57 AM
We like Mama Melrose. :mickey:

AvonleaCF
05-07-2015, 09:53 AM
I had a bad experience at Prime Time last time I was there and won't be back for quite some time. I was dining solo and I was completely rushed. The waitress asked for my dessert order after I had taken 2 bites of my meal (I told her to come back when I was done). And then she delivered the check with the dessert. And she wasn't fun or engaging. The food was good, though; I'm still dreaming about the sundae. I just won't go back for a couple of years. I would try Mama Melrose.

Spang88
05-07-2015, 11:08 AM
In my experience I would agree with the other replies- I don't think you can go wrong with Mama Melrose and PrimeTime.

I would also recommend the Fantasmic dinner package to pair with the restaurants. You may have to eat just a little earlier than typical dinner time, but we like the preferred seating and the fact that you do not have to worry about getting their early to avoid missing the show because of long lines. Its great if you go during a crowded park day. We usually pair Brown Derby and use that as our 2 credit meal (we have one day where we do not need a table meal). We have done it with the other restaurants as well.

Evil Genius
05-07-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm not certain how or why everyone here is so down on the Hollywood Brown Derby. It's one of our top places to eat in the entire resort!

More specifically now though, we love the Brown Derby Lounge. No ADR needed, a great lighter menu along with the entire Brown Derby menu...and the location is terrific!

IloveJack
05-07-2015, 09:02 PM
In my opinion, Prime Time has some of the best food on property. Of course, that could be because I'm from the South, and it tastes like home. We also really enjoyed Mama Melrose, but I don't think my kids would like this one, and Sci-Fi has great ambience, if run-of-the-mill grill food. Really, you can't go wrong with any of the three.

azcavalier
05-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Done Mama Melrose once (but going back in September), and we've done the Prime Time a few times (but it's been years). Our *must-do* is the Sci-Fi. Totally Americana, but quite good food.

deedee73
05-08-2015, 11:16 AM
I also would recommend the Fantasmic package. It is available as lunch or dinner. It is offered with Hollywood Brown Derby, Mama Melrose, & Hollywood & Vine. I like the package bc we hate waiting in line when we could be riding. It is a better use of our times & our seats have always been good.
We have eaten at HBD several times but I'm not so kids would like that much. Hollywood & Vine had a large selection to choose from. We love Sci-fi too. As for the others, we haven't been to those so I can't comment except that Mama Melrose had gotten some great reviews lately.

Pooh Fan
05-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I vote Prim Time. Very fun. My kids love it.

Spang88
05-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I also would recommend the Fantasmic package. It is available as lunch or dinner. It is offered with Hollywood Brown Derby, Mama Melrose, & Hollywood & Vine. I like the package bc we hate waiting in line when we could be riding. It is a better use of our times & our seats have always been good.
We have eaten at HBD several times but I'm not so kids would like that much. Hollywood & Vine had a large selection to choose from. We love Sci-fi too. As for the others, we haven't been to those so I can't comment except that Mama Melrose had gotten some great reviews lately.

Good point, forgot that Prime Time was not part of Fantasmic package. And I agree with you, I think it makes our use of time much more efficient.

garymacd
05-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I have eaten at all the restaurants in DHS and like them all, but I can't help praising Brown Derby.

Two years ago, our daughter was married and instead of having a Disney World Wedding with another reception back home, they decided on a group honeymoon where all family were invited. Not all attended, but we still had 23 people attend and had a great time.

I spent a lot of time and effort organising the event especially the dining arrangements. We made the arrangements and invited the whole party to attend the daily meals (on DDP) so we could catch up on everyone's daily activities and adventures.

Unfortunately, our group lunch reservation at Brown Derby was lost. You can imagine how many layers of dental enamel were ground off my teeth that day.

The Manager and staff of the Brown Derby made every effort to accommodate all 23 of us and managed to pull it all together and had us seated in the same area with an almost continuous table.

The food was excellent, even the kids had food they enjoyed, the staff were so accommodating. The tip was enormous!

Davy Crockett
05-13-2015, 10:19 AM
There's a limited TS offering at HS to begin with, but I agree with most of the others here and say either Prime Time (probably more fun for the kids) or Mama Melrose (in my opinion a little better food quality). Being that you've already experienced SciFi.

PantherPete
05-14-2015, 09:08 PM
50's Primetime. Ask to be served by Byron and order the S'mores.

Maddie
05-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Another vote for Mama Melrose or Primetime. When I was a kid I loved Primetime I thought it was a blast! The food is mediocre I would say but I can be a bit of a food snob :chef::wine: Mama Melrose's food was a little tastier! Both good choices though!

tjstrike
06-02-2015, 06:07 AM
I only see one mention on here for Hollywood & Vine, is it not very good ? Was thinking of eating there and doing the fantasmic package.

DizneyRox
06-02-2015, 06:18 AM
I only see one mention on here for Hollywood & Vine, is it not very good ? Was thinking of eating there and doing the fantasmic package.
BINGO!

Would never consider eating there again... One of the worst dining experiences I've ever had on property.

tjstrike
06-02-2015, 06:27 AM
BINGO!

Would never consider eating there again... One of the worst dining experiences I've ever had on property.

Bad food, bad service or both ?

DizneyRox
06-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Bad food, bad service or both ?
The food was worse than the service for sure. Atmosphere also leaves little to be desired. It was loud and the buffet was pretty gross. There were a couple items I passed on after watching the actions of some of the guests in front of me.

50's may also be hit or miss from recent reports. The food has always been fairly good, but quality has gone down since the dining plan became popular. But I feel many of the standouts have suffered. 50's or Sci-Fi would be my choices for a TS at the studios if I had to eat there. There are quite a few TS locations within walking distance though, and everything over at World Showcase as well...

joonyer
06-02-2015, 08:24 PM
This past Christmas week (very crowded season), we had an excellent meal at Mama Melrose. Great food, very good service. We used the DDP and the Fantasic package. I'd certainly recommend it. We always enjoy Sci-Fi DIne In, too, but the food at MM is higher quality.

Cinderelley
06-03-2015, 11:26 AM
I always choose Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Dinner Package. I must warn you though, the reserved seating is not as good as it used to be.

Tinkerbella16
06-04-2015, 05:31 AM
I love 50's Prime Time! I have not been there in quite some time, but we have an ADR for dinner during our Nov trip! Very excited to go back. I do like Sci-Fi for the atmosphere, but wasn't thrilled with the menu.