PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPass vs Memory Maker

MrPeetrie
04-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Another post had me posit this question:

Without showing my age or lack of tech-savvy ness too much, can somebody explain what is Memory Maker and why it needs to be paid for? I thought PhotoPass was free. Is this something else? Is it something worth paying for? What is the difference between the two?

Cass&KenziesMom
04-30-2015, 08:55 AM
With Memory Maker you can download all of your pictures and print them yourself for very cheap. It also includes any ride photos and photos from Character Meals. Just the ride photos and Character meals made it so worth it for us the last time we purchased it. If you just do the regular PhotoPass you have to pay for each print individually.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-30-2015, 09:08 AM
(I think I'm going to write a sticky on this ... Disney has made this quite confusing!)

PhotoPass is the "service" where Disney photographers will take your picture. You can scan your Magic Band, or a photopass card, both of which will allow you to view & edit your photos.

Memory Maker is a product that allows you (for one price, $169 in advance or $199 regular price) to download all of your photos, edited photos, ride photos and videos. You can then share and print the pictures as you'd like.

If you only want a picture or two, you can choose to order them individually, for about $20/print.

Is it worth it? We always get Memory Maker (and the old version, PhotoPass Plus). We like the ride photos, we like being able to add the Disney borders and touches, and we like having all of us in the picture. It is pricey, so for many people using their own camera (and Disney photographers will take a picture with your camera as well) is perfectly fine ... and cheaper. :photo:

Stu29573
04-30-2015, 09:49 AM
We have two parties going at the same time (although I'm paying for both). How do you link the two in Memory Maker?

azcavalier
04-30-2015, 11:44 AM
We have two parties going at the same time (although I'm paying for both). How do you link the two in Memory Maker?

If you have them as your Family and Friends in My Disney Experience, meaning that you have your Fast Passes and ADRs together and visible in MDE, then it will be linked to the entire group.

We did this in January. My family (five) and my sister's family (six) went together. Our five had APs, but her's had to buy Magic My Way passes. We had all FPs together, and I could manage all of that from MDE. We bought the Memory Maker, and any time anyone in the party rode a ride, it added those photos to the website. And it was synced to everyone's MagicBand, so whenever we would stop and have a Disney photographer take a photo, the kids would take turns having their MagicBands scanned. They loved that.

Stu29573
04-30-2015, 12:05 PM
If you have them as your Family and Friends in My Disney Experience, meaning that you have your Fast Passes and ADRs together and visible in MDE, then it will be linked to the entire group.

We did this in January. My family (five) and my sister's family (six) went together. Our five had APs, but her's had to buy Magic My Way passes. We had all FPs together, and I could manage all of that from MDE. We bought the Memory Maker, and any time anyone in the party rode a ride, it added those photos to the website. And it was synced to everyone's MagicBand, so whenever we would stop and have a Disney photographer take a photo, the kids would take turns having their MagicBands scanned. They loved that.

Very cool!
Thanks!

TheGarretts
04-30-2015, 04:56 PM
With the Memory Maker, we ended up with a lot of ride photos (including a few of other people :thumbsup:) It was great to not even have to stop and look at the displays to decide if we liked them or not.

Priority Four
05-01-2015, 11:38 AM
How does Memory Maker work on ride photos? That is what do you have to do for your photo to be added to the Memory maker account? Scan something?

brownie
05-01-2015, 05:02 PM
How does Memory Maker work on ride photos? That is what do you have to do for your photo to be added to the Memory maker account? Scan something?

As long as you're wearing your Magic Band, the ride photos for everyone linked to your party will show up in your Memory Maker account. No need to scan anything or stop at the photo booth at the end of the ride.

Priority Four
05-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Awesome. Just purchased. Do I need to link something? I did get a confirmation email

brownie
05-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Awesome. Just purchased. Do I need to link something? I did get a confirmation email

It should all be connected through your My Disney Experience account.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Probably not. When you log into your MDE account, you should see it as part of your reservations. If you don't, then you can link it, but it should appear automatically.

Priority Four
05-04-2015, 10:24 AM
I see it on MDE now. You guys are so helpful! Thanks Mucho!

drosenbe
05-06-2015, 09:47 PM
We would never do the old photopass plus, It was just not worth it, but with digital photos, We did the Memory Maker on our last trip and it was great!. Every photographer takes 5 or 6 shots (at least) so over the course of 6 days, we had well over 300 photos, plus the ride videos that they take on ToT and 7DMT

re: ride photos. Some of the photos from one the rides were not us (and those people were ugly :D ) It took a very nice phone call to WDW for a cast member to find us in the system.

re: ride photos: in a little creepy story, one time my wife and i walked onto a ride, with no magic band nor fast pass, and our picture from the ride showed up in our account! They're watching you...always watching!!

Goofy4TheWorld
05-08-2015, 11:53 AM
re: ride photos: in a little creepy story, one time my wife and i walked onto a ride, with no magic band nor fast pass, and our picture from the ride showed up in our account! They're watching you...always watching!!

Was the MagicBand still in your or your wife's possession, perhaps in a purse or bag?

i'm grumpy
05-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Which rides have video? And which have pics? What about character meals?

Thanks!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-19-2015, 01:44 PM
7 Dwarves Mine Train & ToT have the videos.

The following rides have photos: Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Dinosaur, Expedition Everest.

Although it seems to be changing, as far as I know, the following meals have photographers outside (and you'll get the digital copy on your Memory Maker): ◾1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana (breakfast), Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, Chef Mickey's, CRT, Tusker House (breakfast - just a photo, Donald meets inside now), Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue, Akershus (with Belle).

i'm grumpy
05-22-2015, 10:34 AM
We tried for 2 days to order this and now we can't get the discounted price. Guess we won't bother. :(

deedee73
05-22-2015, 11:15 AM
What was the problem - website? Perhaps if you call customer service they could help you in ordering & maybe adjusting the price.

i'm grumpy
05-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I could only find the page to upload pics. When I found the order page it was still discounted, but we wouldn't get all our pics. Sis was using a calling card and the minutes were up. Oh well should have tried sooner.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm sorry - they are really strict on the "3 days before" for the discounted price. You have to wait the 3 days before you'd get the pictures. Sometimes, if you're not taking photos the first day, it can be still worth it.

You can still order it at regular price, and get all of the photos, but it does cost more (of course).

DisneyGiant
05-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Add me to the camp that thinks the Memory Maker is a great value - especially now that it is coordinated with the magic band.

Our upcoming trip will be the first time I'll get videos - I'm looking forward to that!

crltkcagle
05-26-2015, 11:47 PM
Wait wait wait. So you're telling me I don't have to do anything to get my ride pics anymore? No Standing in line and I don't even have to scan anything? I just wear my magic band ,get on the ride and my pics show up on memory maker? Am I reading this right?

joonyer
05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Wait wait wait. So you're telling me I don't have to do anything to get my ride pics anymore? No Standing in line and I don't even have to scan anything? I just wear my magic band ,get on the ride and my pics show up on memory maker? Am I reading this right?

Yes, It's pretty amazing, and maybe a little bit scary/creepy. With those Magic Bands on, Disney is watching you, always watching. :paranoid:

crltkcagle
05-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Always watching! Lol that is pretty awesome though!

i'm grumpy
06-17-2015, 10:33 AM
We bought a few prints. We did not get a lot of pics taken. They did not take a group pic at 'Ohana and only got pics of one the kids! :confused: We only had 1 ride video, TOT.

honeybear
06-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I already said the next time I was going to Disney I was going to get the Memory Maker. I think it is a great deal.

i'm grumpy
06-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I forgot to mention the prints were on sale, 30% off. :)

Paiges
07-26-2015, 06:19 PM
We are meeting up with some family that will purchase their tickets at the gate and I believe, will not have magic bands. However, we are linked on MDE. How can we make sure their photos are included in our Memory Maker? I am guessing they need to link their tickets to their MDE account, and get a photo pass card?

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-26-2015, 09:40 PM
If they get a photo card, you will be able to load it into your MDE. Or, they can load it, and since you're linked, they can just share the pictures with you.

I'm not sure if they need to link their tickets, unless they want to make FP+ for the next few days.

TheVBs
07-27-2015, 01:57 PM
I remember having to scan one of our magic bands for the ride pictures to be on our memory maker pkg last year. Glad to hear that they've changed it so you don't have to!

Airblue1
07-30-2015, 04:38 AM
If you like photo pass photos, no brainer. Otherwise NOPE!!

i'm grumpy
07-30-2015, 11:22 AM
I was surprised they didn't send an email about our access expiring. I might have purchased more pics.

SurferStitch
07-30-2015, 11:58 AM
I could only find the page to upload pics. When I found the order page it was still discounted, but we wouldn't get all our pics. Sis was using a calling card and the minutes were up. Oh well should have tried sooner.

I'm confused... did you already have pics in your Photopass account when you tried to purchase Memory Maker? Were you already in WDW or home from the trip?

You can only get the discounted price if you pre-purchase Memory Maker at least 3 days prior to the start of your trip. All original pics taken by the photogs, plus all ride and character meal pics, AND any modified pics will be included.

i'm grumpy
07-30-2015, 01:33 PM
We hadn't left yet. I couldn't find the website and by the time she got someone on the phone it was too late to get the discount. We didn't get many pics, so it wouldn't have been a good deal anyway. We just purchased a few pics.

CarrieAllie
08-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Don't be too weirded out by it. When untagged photos pop up, the people editing the images can look for where you may have had a photo taken previously to find your pass info to link it to, so that you get your photos even if a pass (or band) wasn't scanned. ;)