PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged

i'm grumpy
04-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Between the outrageous flight prices and the new fast pass mess, sis is about ready to say forget it. :(:mad:

faline
04-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Ick! I'm sorry.

You could tell her that you know one person (me) who actually liked FP+ better than "old" FP. :)

Goofeygal
04-26-2015, 04:48 PM
I also like the new FP+ better.

VAdizneefan
04-26-2015, 05:20 PM
FP+ really isn't as bad as people online make it sound. It can actually be pretty handy.

Keep an eye on flight pricing and wait for a drop or consider an alternate airport, if possible.

More than anything else, you should never be discouraged before a vacation! Don't let everyone get you down, stress you out, or make you rethink your trip. Just have fun!! :mickey:

Cass&KenziesMom
04-26-2015, 05:30 PM
I was just about to suggest an alternate airport. A lot of times if you fly out/into a smaller airport your prices will be lower. Also look around for tips on finding cheaper flights. I don't remember where I read it but there are certain days that are supposed to be cheaper for booking flights.

BrerGnat
04-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Well don't look at airfare on Sundays, for starters. It is the most expensive day to book flights.

Try late night Tuesday or Wednesdays.

Fly on Tuesday or Wednesdays for the lowest fares. Use a site like Kayak to compare options (although Southwest won't show up on there).

There are tons of ways to get cheaper airfare, so don't give up.

Also, FP+ is not that bad Don't stress too much about that.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-26-2015, 06:18 PM
I also found the FP+ better than I thought it would be. Although I still like spontaneity the best :D

I also have been finding airline prices and timelines little discouraging for possible fall travel. I'm just going to continue watching and hoping.

BrerGnat
04-26-2015, 06:26 PM
I also have been finding airline prices and timelines little discouraging for possible fall travel. I'm just going to continue watching and hoping.

Start looking 6-8 weeks out. No sooner. 6 weeks is the sweet spot.

Melanie
04-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Well, I'm going to have to agree with her on the FP+, and I've given it plenty of chances. It's awful, IMO.

But good advice here on airfare. I almost always fly mid week if I can.

joonyer
04-26-2015, 10:19 PM
The FP+ system could certainly use some improvements. But, our experience this past Christmas trip was much better than I expected, given all the negativity I had read online.

Airline prices on the other hand . . . . :pout:

Mrs Bus Driver
04-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Fly mid-week, go southwest, go off season and lock in those tickets 6 months out. :mickey:

i'm grumpy
04-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone. The 3 closest airports are just beyond outrageous. The other is 3 hours north and still pricey. A CM told her we could book the FP+ without park tickets. I knew that wasn’t right because I read here it isn’t possible.

BrerGnat
04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone. The 3 closest airports are just beyond outrageous. The other is 3 hours north and still pricey. A CM told her we could book the FP+ without park tickets. I knew that wasn’t right because I read here it isn’t possible.

No, you can't book FP without tickets. But, honestly, if you aren't going at a super busy time, don't worry too much. There are only 2 of you, right? My friend and I went last October (over a Saturday, Sunday, Monday). We made our FP+ reservations 10 days prior to arrival. We got everything we wanted at times that worked for us. We only had to wait in line for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train but it was only 50 min, so not a huge issue. And when my husband and I went over marathon weekend in January, we made our reservations like 3 days out. Also got what we wanted.

Honestly, it's not the end of the world. It becomes much more annoying when you have a large party to have to coordinate.

baldburke
04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Here's another positive vote for the new FP+ system.

Yes you do have to pick your park 60 or 30 days out (depended on your stay), but we're already booking dining 180 days out so we sort of have an idea of what we want to do anyway.

But the system itself is fairly flexible. Attractions and times can be adjusted on the fly through the app and there are kiosks with lots of CMs to make changes too.

Yes it could still use some tweaking but we didn't find it to be worse than the old paper system. And it certainly wouldn't keep us from visiting WDW!

We all know a WDW visit isn't cheap so hopefully you can work out your details. Good luck!

i'm grumpy
04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
3 adults, 2 kids. Around Memorial Day. :covered: And no smart phones.

BrerGnat
04-27-2015, 03:49 PM

THIS memorial day? And you don't have plane tickets yet? And no smart phones? Eek! Now I see why you are discouraged. Sorry to say you won't find decent airfare at this point. You may need to just go old school and plan for long lines.

Can you go another time? Later in summer, maybe?

azcavalier
04-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah, can't help with airline prices.

FP+, like everything else, has it's pro's and con's. But think of it this way....imagine that WDW didn't have any system at all like the Fast Pass....that it was just like the good ol' days when you just had to wait in the same stand-by line as everyone else. And then Disney came out with the FP+ system. We'd all love it! I can pick rides and just show up and ride them at certain times without the big lines? Awesome!

The thing that bugs me the most is that they try to "sell it" as allowing you to be more spontaneous. Which is a blatant falsehood. THAT'S what I hate most about it.

1DisneyNut
04-27-2015, 05:17 PM

That many people, around a holiday and no smart phones. lol That is probably not going to go so well. You don't absolutely have to have a smart phone but with the way everything is done at WDW these days, it will be a huge disadvantage not having one and you might find yourself wasting tons of time in the kiosk lines instead of enjoying yourself.

Here's another positive vote for the new FP+ system.

Yes you do have to pick your park 60 or 30 days out (depended on your stay), but we're already booking dining 180 days out so we sort of have an idea of what we want to do anyway.

We are just the opposite. FP+ is a pain that shouldn't be there.

We despise the ADR's for dining. We rarely ever eat at any of the table service restaurants because of the 180 day ADR's. We tried it with free dining once and on another trip scheduled a few ADR's and both times cancelled them all and just went counter service. It was annoying having to worry about timing and logistics all afternoon and whether we had time for another ride or needed to head to our ADR's. We look at it like this: we can eat at restaurants anytime with many of them being better than the similar counterparts at WDW. We go to WDW for the attractions and entertainment.

We find the pre-planning for FP+ to be just as annoying and puts us in a similar position where we are worrying about making FP+ times. It puts stress into a vacation where vacations are supposed to be a time for relaxing and leaving stress behind.

Cass&KenziesMom
04-27-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm guessing you're way too far to consider driving and option?

i'm grumpy
04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Nope, no tickets. They kept changing the end of the school year and it starts back mid-Aug.
And way too far to drive. May as well just forget it. :(

minnie04
04-28-2015, 10:31 AM
can't help with the air fare part, but the FP+ once you learn the ins and outs it really is a great thing to have. It makes your day run alot smoother. :mickey: Good luck with the air fare I hope you're able to pull it off. If not look towards 4th of july weekend. You have more time to plan and get better fare and good fast passes too..

NJGIRL
05-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Well, I'm going to have to agree with her on the FP+, and I've given it plenty of chances. It's awful, IMO.

I have to agree with Melanie. I dislike it .....a lot.

Speedy1998
05-22-2015, 01:07 PM
I was just about to suggest an alternate airport. A lot of times if you fly out/into a smaller airport your prices will be lower. Also look around for tips on finding cheaper flights. I don't remember where I read it but there are certain days that are supposed to be cheaper for booking flights.

We did this a few years back. At the time a round trip flight into Orlando for 4 of us was $1,500; a round trip flight for the same day at roughly the same time to Tampa was $350 for the 4 of us. From Tampa we got a one day one way rental from Alamo, and I was able to drop the car off at the MK parking lot location.

Cinderelley
05-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Well, Memorial Day weekend is here. I hope you were able to find a way down there. If not, maybe you can plan for next year.

i'm grumpy
06-01-2015, 01:35 PM
I have to agree with Melanie. I dislike it .....a lot.

We went!! :minnie::mickey3: The aiport that is usually high was the best deal and 1 hour away.

I can officially say I hate FP+!! :mad::down:

Will try to post more later.

Melanie
06-01-2015, 01:55 PM
We went!! :minnie::mickey3: The aiport that is usually high was the best deal and 1 hour away.

Very interested to hear your experience. Please do post!

Cinderelley
06-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I am so happy to hear that you went. :D

faline
06-01-2015, 05:12 PM

Glad you got to go!! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm glad to hear you were able to go. I urge anyone thinking of flying to keep checking airfare. It was running around $300 for the time frame I wanted and I kept putting it off. I was looking to fly out of Boston, but could do Providence too. I checked Boston a couple of weeks ago, it was still around $300 with a layover both ways. Then I checked Providence and it was $226 with nonstop! Needless to say, we booked immediately to make sure it didn't go up right away.