PDA

View Full Version : Is the Yeti still not working?

pego79
04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
My hubby was curious as we were watching a Disney World show this morning if the Yeti in Expedition Everest is working yet. He has never been to Disney World before and I was explaining to him that the Yeti is a really cool feature of that ride but stopped working a while ago. He was perplexed as to why Disney wouldn't fix something like that if it's such a cool feature... I told him we've all been wondering that for a while now! :confused:

MNNHFLTX
04-25-2015, 11:07 PM
I'll let those more knowledgeable than I explain why the arm of the Yeti stopped working and why they haven't been able to fix it. They've installed clever strobe-like lighting to make it appear that he's moving, but I can confirm that as of last month, the Yeti is still down.

DANAM
04-25-2015, 11:21 PM
I watched the same thing this morning on the history channel. They mentioned something about building everything at the same time. So I assumed since the built the Mountain around the yeti they had no way to get it out. But why repairs can't be made I don't really understand. That clip made it look really cool and we went shortly after it first opened and my husband said it did actually look like that. Its a shame they don't get it back up and running.

DizneyFreak2002
04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Yeti is not fixed... There are plans to fix it, but no one wants to pay for it... And the plans they have actually involves no down time.. Imagine that huh? :)

Mrs Bus Driver
04-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Yeti is not fixed... There are plans to fix it, but no one wants to pay for it... And the plans they have actually involves no down time.. Imagine that huh? :)
Ya know if it was up to me (assuming I was a Disney executive) I would have it fixed for Avatar opening. Just think Avatar, night time show and Yeti that works AK would be packed. :mickey:

1DisneyNut
04-26-2015, 09:40 AM
From what I remember reading, the Yeti itself is actually operable. The problem is the steel frame structure and foundation that supports the Yeti was not designed substantial enough for the constant forces of the moving Yeti which led to stress fractures. If you had seen it in motion, you would realize it swings its arms and moves fairly quickly which creates substantial forces, especially since the yeti is quite massive.

There are 3 structures in expedition everest: the ride, the yeti and the mountain that covers it all and they are all separate. The yeti being surrounded by the web of steel supporting the other structures makes it difficult to access for repairs and upgrades.

They should be able to make the repairs without shutting down the ride if they can get to the areas necessary without having to remove pieces or affect the other two structures. I have no idea if that is possible or not so we would have to wait and see. My guess is, they are at least concerned that they might possible have to shut the ride down for an undetermined amount of time once they got in and started working. With Animal Kingdom not having much else to offer and being skipped over by guests already, they don't want to risk having to close Expedition Everest.

I would think that at this point, they are waiting to get Avatar Land open and running so guests will have their attention drawn in that direction and won't miss EE if it does have to go down.

DizneyFreak2002
04-26-2015, 10:28 AM
The yeti being surrounded by the web of steel supporting the other structures makes it difficult to access for repairs and upgrades.

Not true... They can access it easy...

They should be able to make the repairs without shutting down the ride if they can get to the areas necessary without having to remove pieces or affect the other two structures.

As stated, they have a plan, a plan which would require not shutting down the ride...

pego79
04-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!!! I guess it makes sense that they may not be able to get to it to make the repairs it needs, and it also makes sense that they're waiting until Avatar Land opens to divert attention elsewhere. I remember riding it right after it opened and it was such a cool feature of the ride, so hopefully they can get it fixed at some point soon!!! :mickey:

WDWdriver
04-27-2015, 08:57 AM

As stated, they have a plan, a plan which would require not shutting down the ride...

Hmmmm. I'm going with 1DisneyNut on this one. He is essentially correct in his description of the mountain structures. The three structures (mountain, ride track and yeti base) are each massive, and do not touch each other.

Most of the interior is a cavernous space containing a network of steel support beams and columns (I've been in there many times). There are several access platforms and metal stairways at the upper levels. There is a single enclosed stairway going up 14 flights from the floor level to a level near the top of the "B" lift. There is no elevator.

While most of the interior appears spacious, the portion of the ride path containing the yeti structure is relatively narrow. In that area there is only room for the huge yeti structure, the track, and a walkway. The yeti itself looms above.

So if the yeti base has to be rebuilt, which seems to be the case, then there must access for heavy equipment and vehicles. There would also likely be a considerable amount of debris associated with the removal of the old base, followed by the building of a new steel and concrete structure (I'm not an engineer, so one of you engineers out there might want to comment on this).

I don't see how all of this can be accomplished without shutting down the ride for an extended period of time. And the ride CMs are being told the same thing unofficially (no one is saying anything offically). EE is obviously a major attraction with high appeal for AK visitors. The thinking among the CMs is that the ride shutdown and repairs will have to wait until Pandora is open.

BKBrinkman
04-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Hmmmm. I'm going with 1DisneyNut on this one. He is essentially correct in his description of the mountain structures. The three structures (mountain, ride track and yeti base) are each massive, and do not touch each other.

Most of the interior is a cavernous space containing a network of steel support beams and columns (I've been in there many times). There are several access platforms and metal stairways at the upper levels. There is a single enclosed stairway going up 14 flights from the floor level to a level near the top of the "B" lift. There is no elevator.

While most of the interior appears spacious, the portion of the ride path containing the yeti structure is relatively narrow. In that area there is only room for the huge yeti structure, the track, and a walkway. The yeti itself looms above.

So if the yeti base has to be rebuilt, which seems to be the case, then there must access for heavy equipment and vehicles. There would also likely be a considerable amount of debris associated with the removal of the old base, followed by the building of a new steel and concrete structure (I'm not an engineer, so one of you engineers out there might want to comment on this).

I don't see how all of this can be accomplished without shutting down the ride for an extended period of time. And the ride CMs are being told the same thing unofficially (no one is saying anything offically). EE is obviously a major attraction with high appeal for AK visitors. The thinking among the CMs is that the ride shutdown and repairs will have to wait until Pandora is open.

This analysis matches what I've heard as well. All of us would love for it to be working properly and are disappointed it was possibly constructed in a way that would create future problems. However, considering this is the premier ride-based attraction at DAK right now, I just don't see them shutting it down for a refurbishment until Pandora is up and running.

Speedy1998
04-28-2015, 12:42 PM
. However, considering this is the premier ride-based attraction at DAK right now, I just don't see them shutting it down for a refurbishment until Pandora is up and running.

That is essentially what I have heard.

1DisneyNut
04-28-2015, 09:31 PM

As far as accessing it easy, walking in and putting your hands on it is one thing, getting equipment such as fork lifts and cranes is another if required.

Some say they have a plan to make the repairs without closing the ride, others say it has to be closed.

From an engineering standpoint, it depends on what the damage is that must be repaired and how extensive. Like most things, it will most likely be worse than expected once they dig into it and start removing. If it is fractured steel members, it might require temporary support while structural members are replaced and repaired. This would require heavy machinery and perhaps a temporary structure.

If it is the foundation, it could get really ugly requiring the structure to come down or at least some sort of temporary support while the foundation is removed, repaired or replaced.

Either way, I would prefer they let us know they are working on it if it stays open so I will know not to get within about 1000 yards of the mountain. You guys you can ride if you want but I am not getting on or near any steel structure while structural members or the foundation is being worked on.

I can't imagine there is any way on earth they would actually allow people to ride while the repairs are being made.

DizneyFreak2002
04-28-2015, 09:50 PM
As far as accessing it easy, walking in and putting your hands on it is one thing, getting equipment such as fork lifts and cranes is another if required.

I had a paragraph written about accessing the yeti, the room he is in, accessing the foundation, etc... I rather leave it deleted... As I noted below, I'm calling the person I got the info from last time... As per my original post:

I put a call into someone who has knowledge of the situation... the same person I originally got this info from... I'll confirm with him or her once again...

Cinderelley
04-29-2015, 12:28 PM
:rolleyes: Surely they must have planned for a way to get equipment in. Everyone in that type of work that I know plans for these things ahead of time. No one believes that anything lasts forever.

I'm not able to ride EE, but I know a lot of people like the yeti. To me, it seems more like the mindset is "well, people are going to ride Expedition Everest anyway. Why shell out the money?"

Speedy1998
04-29-2015, 12:35 PM
:rolleyes:

To me, it seems more like the mindset is "well, people are going to ride Expedition Everest anyway. Why shell out the money?"

I think it is more that the yeti not working does not substantially change the ride. Similar to how they do not shut down small world when one of the dolls get stuck.

I mean it is not like the yeti not moving is the same as the projector not working on in Soarin'.

DizneyFreak2002
04-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Problem is, they continue to advertise a moving yeti... He is the centerpiece of the ride... he is the main attraction... Not having a working yeti is bad show... No matter what the general public thinks or cares about...

Remember this is Disney, not Six Flags... Disney, where show always matters... Where, even when 1 AA went down, the ride was taken down to get things back to show ready... Today? Eh, good enough is good enough no matter how ghetto things look or get... Remember they kept Splash Mountain running when half the attraction AA's were down...

Still waiting on the call back...

Cinderelley
04-29-2015, 02:38 PM
While I agree with you DizneyFreak2002 in business terms, I also know that people's vacation memories do not rely on working AA. It is all about the feelings they had with their loved ones and moving AA parts don't affect that for the vast majority of people. The ride experience itself doesn't change much whether the Yeti works or not or if the dolls in It's a Small World work or not. So, there is little motivation for Disney to cut into their profits to fix these things.

There have been several times when the dragon in Fantasmic didn't work. I was quite disappointed when I didn't get to see it, but it is outweighed by the fun of everything else with my friends and family. It wasn't enough to keep me from going back, which in the end is why they get away with it. People keep coming. Most of them are people who don't even realize that things aren't as magical as they used to be.

Eventually though, they will reach a point where people aren't willing to pay the prices they are charging for the lack of magic they are providing. My kids are in that group. They loved it when we went while they were younger. Now, they do want their significant others to experience it once, so we are planning a big family trip in 2017. They want to also visit Universal Orlando at the beginning of the trip and stay onsite there. They never wanted to visit anywhere else, much less stay offsite. They say they are done with it after that trip unless my daughter decides to get married there. After showing WDW to their fiancee's one time, they're perfectly happy with occasionally going to Disneyland and having family trips somewhere else. My boys talk about how expensive it is to go, and they aren't even the ones paying.

DizneyFreak2002
04-29-2015, 04:40 PM
While I agree with you DizneyFreak2002 in business terms, I also know that people's vacation memories do not rely on working AA. It is all about the feelings they had with their loved ones and moving AA parts don't affect that for the vast majority of people. The ride experience itself doesn't change much whether the Yeti works or not or if the dolls in It's a Small World work or not. So, there is little motivation for Disney to cut into their profits to fix these things.

So then why bother themeing things to the hilt? Doesn't matter right? Quests only care about the feeling on the ride/attraction, not the little things which only enhanced the experience.... Heck, I love roller coasters... I love the thrill... I get that from Six Flags... I go to Disney not for the thrills, though they are a welcomed part of the experience, but, for the, you know, themed experience...

Remember when Disney once gave guests what they didn't know they wanted? Remember when Disney did the little things, like a working life-like yeti reaching out to your train as you passed it by? Remember when enhancing the experience was a Disney staple and good enough was laughed at as being lazy and something Six Flags would do?

A working yeti or working AA dolls on Small World does change the experience...

There have been several times when the dragon in Fantasmic didn't work. I was quite disappointed when I didn't get to see it, but it is outweighed by the fun of everything else with my friends and family. It wasn't enough to keep me from going back, which in the end is why they get away with it. People keep coming. Most of them are people who don't even realize that things aren't as magical as they used to be. Again, there was a time when the dragon not working at Fantasmic would cause the show to go down for the night or until the dragon was fixed... And again, today, who cares if the dragon, a major part of the show BTW, doesn't work? Something is missing... Bad show... But hey, it is good enough so who cares right? That was never Disney, and not what Disney created... It is bad form and shows contempt for guests...

Eventually though, they will reach a point where people aren't willing to pay the prices they are charging for the lack of magic they are providing. My kids are in that group. They loved it when we went while they were younger. Now, they do want their significant others to experience it once, so we are planning a big family trip in 2017. They want to also visit Universal Orlando at the beginning of the trip and stay onsite there. They never wanted to visit anywhere else, much less stay offsite. They say they are done with it after that trip unless my daughter decides to get married there. After showing WDW to their fiancee's one time, they're perfectly happy with occasionally going to Disneyland and having family trips somewhere else. My boys talk about how expensive it is to go, and they aren't even the ones paying.So why don't they want to go back? Cause they are seeing how bad things have gotten? How Disney tries to milk their customers, sorry I can not call them guests cause visitors are no longer looked at as guests but as personal Disney ATM machines... The prices are getting crazy high... Meanwhile the experiences are being dumbed down, removed... Your kids are seeing the light... Obviously a non working yeti means a little something to them, or else, hey why would they care? Seems like they do... I wish more people were like your children...

But reality is, millions will continue to go... And while I won't say it is a problem, at the same time, it is... It gives management the ammunition to stay the course, do things on the cheap in WDW... And it is sad...

I'm not picking on you, so please don't think I am... I understand what you mean in your first paragraph... But just cause it may not matter to guests, doesn't mean management should be little monkeys and play with the, well... They should still care about show, about show quality, about how the parks look... They don't...

Maybe we should start a thread about TDS's major Frozen e ticket attraction in a brand new themed land, while more contempt is shown for WDW visitors by shoehorning Frozen into Norway, where it doesn't belong, and is being done on the cheap... And yet, gets defended as a great move by people in the fan community...

MrPeetrie
04-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Problem is, they continue to advertise a moving yeti... He is the centerpiece of the ride...

I made this same observation a few months back. I am so angered by this! If it hasn't worked for YEARS, how can you continue to advertise the ride, showing a working YETI????? It confounds me that that kind of hypocrisy goes unchallenged. Don't advertise it if you can't deliver it and know it.

DizneyFreak2002
04-29-2015, 06:17 PM
I made this same observation a few months back. I am so angered by this! If it hasn't worked for YEARS, how can you continue to advertise the ride, showing a working YETI????? It confounds me that that kind of hypocrisy goes unchallenged. Don't advertise it if you can't deliver it and know it.

Easy:
1. Marketing has no clue what WDW park ops is doing... Or the condition of the parks/attractions.. They are doing their job though... Making everything look great in ads for WDW, especially when many of the pictures and videos used are stock footage from Disneyland...
2. Management has contempt for guests and view them as personal ATM machines, idiots, cattle to be herded from one cash register to another...
3. Show does not matter anymore to WDW management...

Many things with Disney, and in particular WDW, go unchallenged in the fan community because many in the community have a difficult time realizing WDW is not perfect... They view it as a perfect place... Others give the lame excuse that it is a business... Both lame, both poor arguments, and both allow WDW management to rest on its laurels and do nothing of substance...

manutd1
04-29-2015, 08:43 PM
I don't think out of 10 million visitors a year to A.K. There is more than maybe 100 people that would notice if it moving or not. I enjoy there heck out of that ride...My 9 year old son loves it.. And, he has never said: "Darn, I wish the Yeti moved...."
So, Non issue to me. The ride is amazing either way. Maybe it will get fixed maybe not. POTC is getting a major refurb as MANY attractions and buildings have here lately. IMHO, The parks are in awesome shape. Yeti moving or not.:mickey:

joonyer
04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
I have to agree that fixing the Yeti, while I would love to see it working again, is not an economic priority for Disney. If they have just as many guests riding EE whether the Yeti moves it arm or not, why spend mega-$$$ to make it work again? Unless they would sell significantly more AK tickets if the arm was working (which I highly doubt, I mean how many Disney guests say, "sorry the Yeti's arm doesn't move, so I'm not going to AK"), why wouldn't they just leave it as is?

I got to see it in moving condition the first year EE was working. It was very cool. I wish it was still working. But the EE experience is still awesome without it. I just don't see Disney spending a million (or more) bucks to fix it.

DizneyFreak2002
04-29-2015, 09:49 PM
I have to agree that fixing the Yeti, while I would love to see it working again, is not an economic priority for Disney. If they have just as many guests riding EE whether the Yeti moves it arm or not, why spend mega-$$$ to make it work again? Unless they would sell significantly more AK tickets if the arm was working (which I highly doubt, I mean how many Disney guests say, "sorry the Yeti's arm doesn't move, so I'm not going to AK"), why wouldn't they just leave it as is?

Because Disney was always about the little things... How many times have Disney fans screamed on the top of their lungs about the Disney Way? The Disney Way included the little things, like hidden Mickeys, the extremely small attention to detail which most guests wouldn't know was even there (yet, they did it), like a moving yeti...

Disney was always a business.. That hasn't changed... It isn't something new.. Yet, they always managed to shut a ride down when one piece of the show was broken... They always placed rides under refurbishment when things were slowly going wrong, or were on the verge of going wrong... Heck, they used to change light bulbs before they blew out... Funny how they were able to do all this work then, when they weren't making the serious money they are making now... So, what has changed? Management? Wall Street? Fans making excuses for their precious Disney? All of the above?

Again, just look at the garbage going into Norway, compared to the huge land going into TDS which will feature Frozen... WDW gets garbage, TDS gets state of the art... Why? And don't say attendance... Some in the industry actually say TDS has more visitors than MK... Yea, despite what TEA wants to say...

Cinderelley
04-30-2015, 08:20 AM
I don't think out of 10 million visitors a year to A.K. There is more than maybe 100 people that would notice if it moving or not. I enjoy there heck out of that ride...My 9 year old son loves it.. And, he has never said: "Darn, I wish the Yeti moved...."

Because it isn't really about whether the Yeti's arm moves or not. It's about Disney's lack of attention to detail that the company used to be so famous for.

What Would Walt Do?

He would fix the Yeti.

manutd1
05-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Because it isn't really about whether the Yeti's arm moves or not. It's about Disney's lack of attention to detail that the company used to be so famous for.

What Would Walt Do?

He would fix the Yeti.
When Disneyland opened...hardly ANY rides worked. The pavement melted...there was trash everywhere... Walt was there...but he opened it anyways.....WHY MONEY!! He needed cash flow.
So...the what would walt do argument doesn't hold water.
Besides....as I stated..earlier. Probably less than 1/100 of a percent of all riders even notice it doesn't work. Not an issue.
The parks are in fantastic shape. I believe Walt would be VERY happy with with his legacy and the parks. There is no place on earth like WDW/DLR. Period.

Cinderelley
05-02-2015, 04:37 AM
When Disneyland opened...hardly ANY rides worked. The pavement melted...there was trash everywhere... Walt was there...but he opened it anyways.....WHY MONEY!! He needed cash flow.
Besides....as I stated..earlier. Probably less than 1/100 of a percent of all riders even notice it doesn't work. Not an issue.
The parks are in fantastic shape. I believe Walt would be VERY happy with with his legacy and the parks. There is no place on earth like WDW/DLR. Period.

Contrary to your belief, it does hold water. Walt did not leave it that way. It may have opened that way, but he didn't leave that way. The Yeti has been left that way for many years. It may not bother you. It doesn't bother me, because I'm not physically capable of riding the ride. It does bother others though, and it is their right to be upset about it.

WDWdriver
05-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Well, I was hoping to just let this thread run its course and forget about it. But I have to jump in again because many of the comments here imply that Disney is too cheap to spend the money required to fix the yeti. Yes, it would be expensive, but there is much more to the problem than that.

Joe Rhode, the senior WDI executive behind the creation and construction of EE and Animal Kingdom, is totally aware of the problem and what it will take to fix it. If it were just about money, I believe Rhode would write the check in a heartbeat. The basic problem, as Rhode said when asked about the yeti in 2013, is "You have to understand, it's a giant complicated machine sitting on top of, like, a 46 foot tall tower in the middle of a finished building".

Disney Imagineers and construction engineer have been looking at options for a fix since 2008. They aren't speaking publicly, but it appears that there is no permanent solution that does not involve a major disassembly of a portion of the ride path and the superstructure of the mountain itself.

So the problem is not just money. It is time. We are talking about a downtime of the attraction for more than a year. Some estimates are longer than that. If you were a Disney executive, would you shut down the premier attraction at AK for that length of time simply because an audio-animatronic figure doesn't lean out and swipe at passing trains like it did when the ride first opened? It's not like Magic Kingdom where they could get along without a Space Mountain or Splash for an extended time because there are many other attractions to offer the guests. At AK it would be a significant loss.

Maybe Walt would have fixed it despite the downtime and expense. I tend to doubt it. Walt and his brother, Roy, were sticklers for detail, but they were also pretty good businessmen.

1DisneyNut
05-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Well, I was hoping to just let this thread run its course and forget about it. But I have to jump in again because many of the comments here imply that Disney is too cheap to spend the money required to fix the yeti. Yes, it would be expensive, but there is much more to the problem than that.

Joe Rhode, the senior WDI executive behind the creation and construction of EE and Animal Kingdom, is totally aware of the problem and what it will take to fix it. If it were just about money, I believe Rhode would write the check in a heartbeat. The basic problem, as Rhode said when asked about the yeti in 2013, is "You have to understand, it's a giant complicated machine sitting on top of, like, a 46 foot tall tower in the middle of a finished building".

Disney Imagineers and construction engineer have been looking at options for a fix since 2008. They aren't speaking publicly, but it appears that there is no permanent solution that does not involve a major disassembly of a portion of the ride path and the superstructure of the mountain itself.

So the problem is not just money. It is time. We are talking about a downtime of the attraction for more than a year. Some estimates are longer than that. If you were a Disney executive, would you shut down the premier attraction at AK for that length of time simply because an audio-animatronic figure doesn't lean out and swipe at passing trains like it did when the ride first opened? It's not like Magic Kingdom where they could get along without a Space Mountain or Splash for an extended time because there are many other attractions to offer the guests. At AK it would be a significant loss.

Maybe Walt would have fixed it despite the downtime and expense. I tend to doubt it. Walt and his brother, Roy, were sticklers for detail, but they were also pretty good businessmen.

That is basically exactly what I tried to explain from an engineering stand point in my previous post regarding fixing the yeti. My post was met with disagreement, however; because some seem to think that since you can open some doors and drive a scissor lift to the base of the structure, you can fix it without closing the ride or touching anything else.

As I thought, there seems to be some major structural issues. It sounds like the support structure isn't adequate to withstand the forces at work with the weight and motions of the moving yeti. I am starting to believe that upgrades to structural members aren't going to cut it and it is going to require rebuilding a stronger structure. Even if they can retrofit the current structure with larger steel to strengthen it, you have to have a crane which means taking part of the mountain down for access.

If it was as simple as welding some gussets in corners and adding a few cross members, they would have done that a long time ago over a few days time from inside the mountain.

Cinderelley
05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
W

So the problem is not just money. It is time. We are talking about a downtime of the attraction for more than a year. Some estimates are longer than that. If you were a Disney executive, would you shut down the premier attraction at AK for that length of time simply because an audio-animatronic figure doesn't lean out and swipe at passing trains like it did when the ride first opened? significant loss.

To be honest, yes I would if I was a Disney Executive. AK got along before there was Expedition Everest and rides go down for rehab quite often.
I would also be quite upset that this wasn't addressed before the ride was even built. I'm not an engineer, so all this talk of the "support structure isn't adequate" makes me wonder if the ride itself is safe.
As far as EE being the premier attraction at AK, if I was a Disney Exec I would view it as a very weak park if shutting down one ride was going to be such a significant loss. That should have been fixed long ago. In my personal opinion though, it wouldn't be catastrophic. AK isn't in a bubble. People generally go to all four parks when they go to Disney World, so one ride in the grand scheme of things isn't bad. As I said previously, I can't ride EE but I still have a wonderful time when I go to AK. There's more to Disney than just thrill rides.

joonyer
05-02-2015, 07:29 PM
. . . . .
I would also be quite upset that this wasn't addressed before the ride was even built. I'm not an engineer, so all this talk of the "support structure isn't adequate" makes me wonder if the ride itself is safe.

The coaster ride and the Yeti are built on separate foundations. The are not physically connected in any way. That's the good thing, so the problem with the Yeti has no effect on the coaster ride safety, reliability, etc.

My understanding is that the Yeti's movement revealed weaknesses in the Yeti's foundation structure, so they stopped the movement so no further damage could occur. There have been no reported problems with the coaster structure. But apparently the Yeti foundation repair cannot be done with the Yeti in place, and there is no way to remove it without dismantling part of the coaster structure.

The Dad
05-02-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm with the "Cinderelly" camp on this.....fix the darn thing! Better yet, why not expand the attraction and include the Yeti in another, more "serviceable" place. Time for the Imaginaeers to start using a little more imagination! Get with it
Disney......the cost of a one day ticket should at least provide attractions that actually work as designed! I'm not a happy camper here my friends!

DizneyFreak2002
05-03-2015, 11:50 AM
So, to make sure Intercot members are properly informed and not given bad info:

1. They do have easy access to the yeti, as previously mentioned... Yeti was the last thing installed, and can be the first thing removed, if needed..

2. No part of the mountain or any part of the coaster tracks need to be removed in order to fix the yeti or the foundation he is on... So saying the track or part of the track needs to be removed, or part of the mountain needs to be removed is bad info and or misinformation...

3. As to the plans, again, yes a plan exists, or at least existed where the ride would not have to have any down time, or at the most, minimal down time... The most down time would have been maybe a few days while they disassembled the yeti and his support mechanisms inside his show area.. again, not affecting the structure of the mountain or coaster...

4. The yeti's foundation work could have been worked on at night, while the ride operated in the day time...

5. Money was the major issue in fixing the yeti... No one wanted to pay for it, with each group accusing the other as to who is responsible... Rumors have been spread recently though that a budget has been approved to fix the yeti, but no one seems to want to talk about how true that is... Or who would wind up paying for it... or when this will actually be done... it is only speculation that the yeti will finally be fixed once Avatar opens... Again, no one is saying what the current plans are...

This information has been supported by, not just with words, but with diagrams as well...

So there you have it Intercotees... No part of the mountain or the coaster tracks/support needs to be removed in order to remove the yeti, and fix his foundation... This is now put to rest...

Cinderelley, the ride is entirely safe... Ignore the talk about the ride infrastructure... That has nothing to do with the problems of the yeti... The issue is the yeti, its foundation, and the show room the yeti is in... The ride itself is fine, other than certain effects running hot and cold... The tracks or the mountain are in no danger of collapsing...

Mrs Bus Driver
05-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Thank you for that information DisneyFreak. Okay Disney execs time to knock a few heads together and get the job done. Maybe you could just split the cost between the various departments involved. Whatever it takes "Getter done" :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Thank you for that information DisneyFreak. Okay Disney execs time to knock a few heads together and get the job done. Maybe you could just split the cost between the various departments involved. Whatever it takes "Getter done" :mickey:
You are welcome...

Now, time to sift through other info... ;)

Tearin_it_up
05-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Walt was under intense pressure and timing issues, he needed that money so he could keep reinvesting and getting it to the way he wanted it.

Cinderelley
05-03-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm kinda tempted to make a tshirt that says "Fix the Yeti" and wear it to AK on my trip. lol

WDWdriver
05-03-2015, 06:06 PM
So there you have it Intercotees... No part of the mountain or the coaster tracks/support needs to be removed in order to remove the yeti, and fix his foundation... This is now put to rest...

Phew! At last we have the definitive answer. It turns out that the yeti has been shut down for the last seven years because of a silly little dispute over a repair bill. And during all those years it could have been easily fixed without any major construction or shutdown of the ride. Good to know. Now we can all move on to other topics.

Still, it would be helpful to know your source of expert knowledge, just to put us at ease. My own information comes from being a Cast Member at Animal Kingdom Asia Attractions for more than 10 years, having been present during the construction of EE, having worked at the ride as a Cast Member, having been inside the mountain and observed the physical layout of the yeti and its support base, having had numerous discussions with Disney managers in charge of the ride (past and present) and their boss, the Asia Attractions manager, and having listened carefully to Joe Rhode, the Executive Imagineer responsible for the creation EE and the entire Animal Kingdom park, during his visits to the area.

Your turn.

WiltonJohn
05-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Still, it would be helpful to know your source of expert knowledge, just to put us at ease.

What he said.

Cinderelley
05-04-2015, 04:14 AM
It seems like this discussion is getting a little tense at times. We should all just take a deep breath, relax and go ride Big Thunder instead. :D

coneheads
05-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Rebuild the figure using a carbon fiber structure, same strength 50 to 60 per cent weight reduction same foundation, voila.

SurferStitch
05-08-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm totally with 1DisneyNut and WDWdriver here.

I'm a chemical engineer who went into a project management discipline about 18 years ago. I've seen a lot, and can tell you that just because a body can fit into an area, doesn't mean the equipment required to do the work can also easily fit.

And, if the concrete foundation is bad, it's not as easy as adding more conrete to make it stronger. Just recently I had to replace a gas compressor at my plant. The old concrete base was about 18" more shallow than would be required for the new compressor. We couldn't simply add an 18" layer or beef it up with lag bolts. We had to bring in some heavy equipment (in a very tight place), jackhammer it out, and lay a new monolithic pour. And this compressor didn't BEGIN to exert the forces that the Yeti does.

Oh, and if there's only one way in/out... welcome to the world of confined spaces... even MORE people and equipment needed.

Simply put... there are NO easy fixes, no matter how much you spend, when it comes to this type of work.

It does sadden me that they didn't over design the Yeti structure/foundation to handle at least 150-200% of the calculated forces exerted. I'm sure there was some factor built in (there always is), but if the orignal calculations were underestimated, that's a problem.

Priority Four
05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm going to wear a tee shirt to AK that says "Fix the Yeti!" And in smaller print underneath that "sometime between my trips"

That is why it's not fixed if you ask me. It's not a big enough deal to take out the ride and have people miss the entire experience. Especially for people whose WDW trip is a once in a lifetime event.

My 2c