PDA

View Full Version : Question for current/past CM please

MCeee
04-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Our daughter-in-law just returned from visiting her family in Los Angeles. Her cousin is a CM at Disneyland and mentioned that she could get free theme park admission for her and family (of 3) at either DL or WDW for as many days as they wanted.
We hadn't heard of this and we're wondering if it was possible.
Can this be done for family members?

Main Street Jim
04-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Our daughter-in-law just returned from visiting her family in Los Angeles. Her cousin is a CM at Disneyland and mentioned that she could get free theme park admission for her and family (of 3) at either DL or WDW for as many days as they wanted.
We hadn't heard of this and we're wondering if it was possible.
Can this be done for family members?Well, it depends on the number of dependents that the CM has; for example, I could get myself and *four* family members into the parks (wife and three kids), but, when I first started at the parks, it was limited to 12 times per year. When we left Disney in 2010, it had been "upped" to 16 visits.

It *can* be more than one day at a time, but on separate visits, until you use up that limit. I doubt that the "Main Gate" passes have been "upped" to "any number of days".

Throughout the year, Cast will get what is known as "comp" tickets (one-day park hoppers) for the same number of dependents; usually once in the summer and once in the winter, which are good for about 18 months until they expire.

04-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Depends on the "type of Main Entrance Pass" (silver or blue) and the employment status the DLR CM has.

There are limits on some passes and new rules starting last Jan. 1, 2015 onward, so some previous situations from years past no longer apply.

As Jim said, there are also limits on the amount of people that the CM can bring in on their MEP regardless of the type.

Basically, not enough information in the original post to make a clear and complete answer.

WDWdriver
04-24-2015, 09:10 AM
... she could get free theme park admission for her and family (of 3) at either DL or WDW for as many days as they wanted.

The part about "for as many days as they wanted" is unlikely. As you can see from the previous responses, the rules for complimentary CM admissions are complicated. It depends on the CM's employment status (full time, part time, seasonal, etc). It also depends on the CM's marital status and number of dependents. Even the time of year can be a factor because CM admissions are blocked during high attendance periods.

As stated above, there is not enough information here to provide a good answer. But I can tell you that the average CM does not have unlimited admission privileges and cannot bring guests in as often as they want.

MCeee
04-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Really appreciate the info.
I provided all the information that I have at the moment. Also, I didn't mean for the "as many days as they wanted" statement to infer that they would just go on a whim any time they wanted.

I guess I was wondering if it meant that she could provide them (family of three) with some or all of the days of perhaps a one week visit to WDW.

I'm sure that they will get more info as time goes on and when they go into "planning" mode. This would to be clarified at that time.

Our son and d-i-l's little girl just turned one, and they want to go in a year or two. We're very excited!

Thanks again guys!

Hog
04-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Can CMs buy annual passes? If so do they get a discount? I know if I worked at Disney world I would like to think I would want to visit regularly. What if you are working and your shift is over, are you able to stay and ride rides etc? Or do you have to leave and how do they police that?

DonaldDuck1117
04-24-2015, 02:53 PM
In order to use the main gate pass the cast member has to be there when they bring their guests in for the first time. Now the comp tickets they can give to friends and family. So maybe she has a stack of comp tickets that she could give you guys.

WDWdriver
04-24-2015, 03:18 PM
I guess I was wondering if it meant that she could provide them (family of three) with some or all of the days of perhaps a one week visit to WDW.

Again, without knowing her status, I will say that it is likely she can get a family of three admitted for at least several days. She could do that by:

1) having unused admissions available on her Main Entrance Pass, or

2) having saved up enough unexpired "comp" passes, or

3) a combination of both.

Keep in mind that complementary park admissions do not include dining or Fast Pass+ reservations. Those would have to be made separately under the same rules as any other guest.

#1donaldfan
04-24-2015, 03:41 PM
My DD is a CM and gets tickets for us at times, however there are tons of black out dates, especially busy seasons. She gets gate passes and comp tickets, but not as many as she wants for as long as she wants. :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
04-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Can CMs buy annual passes? If so do they get a discount? Yes, but it's not very much - I think it was only like 10%.

I know if I worked at Disney world I would like to think I would want to visit regularly. What if you are working and your shift is over, are you able to stay and ride rides etc? Or do you have to leave and how do they police that?Oh yes. :) as long as you are "off the clock" and not in "costume".

My wife and I did this about three times a week, if not more, just to see Wishes/Spectro and MSEP, or head over to Epcot for Illuminations, or Studios for Fantasmic!.

As a CM, your Cast ID gets you into the parks - and free parking. :thumbsup: Since my wife and I were both CMs, we spent *many* evenings at the parks...cheap (meaning "free" when you work at Disney...LOL) entertainment.

We also used to swap comp tickets with friends that worked at Universal....