PDA

View Full Version : DDP and Tipping

wdwaggie
04-19-2015, 01:00 AM
Is it just me or do you seem to get worse service when you are on the DDP? My DW and I usually immediately tell the server that we are good tippers after we tell them we are on the DDP. Before we started doing that it seemed that we would always get mediocre service...:(

VWL Mom
04-19-2015, 05:19 AM
I thought it was just me. DVC use to offer a discount on the DlxDP, since we do largely Signature dining on our trips we decided to give it a try. The extended wait times and inattentive service were immediately noticeable and it didn't take us long to realize it was because of the plan. Never did it again.

Kairi_7378
04-19-2015, 09:42 AM
We have used the DDP on 4 trips (20+ TS meals) and have only had poor service at one meal. We choose to look at that meal as the one where our waitress was having a really bad day. We tend to eat at signature venues with our young son, and do not order a lot of alchohol, so we spend on the low end. Most servers work with us to maximize the value of the plan, and rarely mention a tip. It would never occur to me to mention what kind of tipper I am to a server when I first sit down.

DANAM
04-19-2015, 10:26 AM
I think Disney just has some poor service sometimes. This is our first trip without using DDP but we have always paid OOP for several meals each trip. I can say we have had poor service on both ends. But some of the best have been on the DDP so I dont think its fair to say that has anything to do with it.

Basket Mommy
04-19-2015, 10:29 AM
We use TIW and are a family of 6, so the 18% tip is added automatically. I have used DDP in the past and some of the service was less than stellar. I haven't had bad service in a long time since we've been using TIW.

buzznwoodysmom
04-19-2015, 11:32 AM
We do both, out of pocket and dining plan, from trip to trip. I would say our trips have been split pretty evenly with having the plan or not. I can honestly say we do not see a difference between the two. We have had excellent service in both cases. Just as we had not so great service either way.

VWL Mom
04-19-2015, 02:19 PM
I haven't had bad service in a long time since we've been using TIW.

:ditto:

TinkerbellT421
04-21-2015, 08:58 PM
I second the fact that we have had no service issues since being on TiW. honestly, I think the DDP does effect service. There have been many times I have paid witness to people not tipping while being on the DDP, I don't know if people are confused and think they don't have to because it is so widely advertised as "meals paid" so people assume, no matter how many times they are told, that tipping isn't include. I think that wait staff feels they have no incentive to be as good because of DDP, mostly because people have ruined it.

I have even sensed condescension when asked at every reservation "Are you on the dinning plan?" and as soon as you say "No Tables in Wonderland" I have seen an almost immediate attitude change (to the better)...I think the staff hates the DDP.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-23-2015, 09:00 AM
We go on the DDP and have never had less than stellar service.
But I am more of a 'Pollyanna', I smile and engage the waitperson. I've been in their shoes on a smaller scale and make sure I explain my allergy issues clearly from the start. And if service starts slipping (anywhere I eat that is a tip base restaurant), I want the waitperson that I tip on service.