PDA

View Full Version : Working at Disney

I<3Disney
04-15-2015, 07:30 PM
Hey all!
I'm going to be attending a college soon, however it is non-accredited & Christian, and looking at Disney internships, I will not be eligible to go because of that.
I was wondering though, if it was possible to work at Disney at the age of 18? And are there specific jobs they give to you because of the age?
Thanks for the help!

Strmchsr
04-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Absolutely. It's going to be the lower rung jobs but you can get them. You should also look into doing the Disney College Program. That would be your best bet. That's not the same as an internship program.

Orlando Resident
04-15-2015, 09:27 PM
You should still be eligible for the Disney College Program even if there is no campus rep at your college. You can apply directly via the website at http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/default/

Main Street Jim
04-15-2015, 10:45 PM
I was wondering though, if it was possible to work at Disney at the age of 18? And are there specific jobs they give to you because of the age?
Thanks for the help!Of course. But there are no "age-specific" positions; mostly seniority-based. If you're just starting out/going through CP, expect to get a LOT of late-afternoon-to-late-night shifts (i.e., if the parks are open until 1am, expect to work from 4-6pm until 2am....).

If you're coming in as part-time, same thing applies. Food/beverage, Resorts, Attractions/Operations...have an idea of *what* you want to do and *where* you want to work.

I<3Disney
04-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Of course. But there are no "age-specific" positions; mostly seniority-based. If you're just starting out/going through CP, expect to get a LOT of late-afternoon-to-late-night shifts (i.e., if the parks are open until 1am, expect to work from 4-6pm until 2am....).

If you're coming in as part-time, same thing applies. Food/beverage, Resorts, Attractions/Operations...have an idea of *what* you want to do and *where* you want to work.

Oh! That sounds great! Where would I apply at Disney for a job? Or is that something done online?

I<3Disney
04-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Absolutely. It's going to be the lower rung jobs but you can get them. You should also look into doing the Disney College Program. That would be your best bet. That's not the same as an internship program.

Could you define lower rung jobs? ;)

Strmchsr
04-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Could you define lower rung jobs? ;)

Pretty much what Jim was talking about. You wouldn't be in any of the prime job areas, but at food/beverage carts, stores, etc. You can look online for jobs here:
http://wdw.disneycareers.com/en/default/

mechanic
04-16-2015, 09:18 PM
There are youtubers named jbbugg have great videos on college program

Main Street Jim
04-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Oh! That sounds great! Where would I apply at Disney for a job? Or is that something done online?You can apply online, or, if you're in the central Florida area, stop by the Disney Casting Center, right across the street from Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. Either way, be sure and supply a *good*, updated resume' :)

Could you define lower rung jobs?Custodial...cleaning bathrooms/streets, emptying trash, etc.

Also, another thing to consider...especially if you plan on moving to the area, is that *starting pay* is not all that great. Consider a roommate situation :)

04-16-2015, 10:15 PM
You can apply online, or, if you're in the central Florida area, stop by the Disney Casting Center, right across the street from Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. Either way, be sure and supply a *good*, updated resume' :)

FWIW: When I went to Casting in 2009, when I got to the top of the ramp they would only give you an information sheet that had the current openings listed and a URL for the online application.

I think that they only take online applications now and then use the Casting Center for the interviews and pre-Transitions paperwork after job offer.

I<3Disney
04-17-2015, 09:31 AM
I think that they only take online applications now and then use the Casting Center for the interviews and pre-Transitions paperwork after job offer.

So if I did get the job, they would call me up and I'd have to go for an interview? I don't live near Disney, but next summer I'll be interning in Orlando; however I won't be interning with Disney so it would most likely be a part time job or night job.

BrerGnat
04-17-2015, 10:30 AM
From what I have heard, if you want to work at WDW as an entry level CM, you basically need to have full availability, 7 days a week, for any shift. If you will be interning during the day, Disney will likely not hire you. Even for their part time jobs, you need to have open availability.

04-17-2015, 01:15 PM
From what I have heard, if you want to work at WDW as an entry level CM, you basically need to have full availability, 7 days a week, for any shift. If you will be interning during the day, Disney will likely not hire you. Even for their part time jobs, you need to have open availability.

Basically correct. You have to give full availability for the first 8 weeks and then you can specify availability (depending on your work area of course). Traditions and Once Upon A Time Is Now are only done during the day and depending on the work location, training can be day or night. For the area that I am status in, one has 3 days training with 2 daytime and 1 night and the other has 2 days training, both daytime.