PDA

View Full Version : Skipping Xmas party this time!??

Tank3434
04-13-2015, 09:19 PM
So It's always been a given that when we go for a holiday and there's a special party Xmas or Halloween it's a no brainier we are getting tickets but this year Im not sure we are going to do that. I'm just not sure I can justify spending almost 400$ extra for us to attend the Xmas party and I don't think my kids are really going to miss it. I feel like anymore these events are becoming so overpriced and altho they are fun I just can't do everything anymore and it seems like a lot of money for a park we ate already going to. Maybe once it gets closer if the budget opens up I'll see what happens but right now we decided it's now gonna happen I feel a little sad but it's def worth the few extra meals we will get with the money we are saving. Anyone else skipping out?

Kairi_7378
04-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Sounds like you need to take the break from the party this year. You will still be able to enjoy the MK in holiday decorations if you don't attend the party. I'd consider spurging on a special dinner one night, or using the funds to try a special souvenier.

faline
04-14-2015, 06:54 AM
We skipped the Christmas party the last time we were there in December. The cost is beginning to outweigh the fun factor. While I felt a little twinge of regret, I am not sorry to have passed on it.

Priority Four
04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
We have never been to the Christmas Party despite having visited three times in December. Don't really plan on it. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

PopPhan
04-14-2015, 12:04 PM
First off, what is Xmas?????? There is no such thing. The holiday is CHRISTmas. Sorry, but this is something that ticks me off more and more each time I see it.

OK, off my (abbreviated) soapbox.....

As far as MVMCP goes, there is nothing major that you get for the $$$ spent. Yes, a couple "stage" shows and a dance party, but I didn't see that it was worth the high fees. For the most part, you can see the holiday Wishes tag from outside the park -- Contemporary, Bay Lake, etc. MVMCP is a one and done party, and I have already done it once.

MNSSHP is actually a much better ROI. The parade is better; The fireworks are better; AND you can 'trick or treat' around the park and get (bags of) candy!!! MNSSHP can be revisited occasionally. I have done it once and would definitely do it again.

DonaldDuck1117
04-14-2015, 12:55 PM
I went to my first Xmas party this past December only because I had never done the Xmas party before. It was nice as I had never experienced it before but I won't be attending any time soon. 5 hours? For the amount of money those tickets are we should be getting more than 5 hours.

If you have been several times before is say skip it and one night watch the fireworks from the Poly.

DNS
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
We are skipping it this year as well. Our money just isn't going as far as it used to and everything is going up so much, including at Disney. We just do not feel that it is worth it anymore. We are just feeling glad to go to WDW at all.

AgentC
04-14-2015, 01:29 PM
We went to the Christmas Party once about 4 years ago. For my family is isn't worth the extra cost especially as pass holders. There are not enough special things during the event for us. We have not done it again.

If I had to spend on an event , I'd probably do the Halloween Party but there are a lot of events at other parks that are much less expensive that are starting to be more appealing.

Scrappy2
04-14-2015, 05:49 PM
We did the party last year for the first time to say we had done it. While it was fun I just can't say I would do it again. The cost is just not worth it for us.

joonyer
04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Several years ago, the cost of the parties was not unreasonable, I think it was $39.95 per person (advance price) the first time we went to MNSSHP. But in the last few years, the price has put it out of reach for us. I just don't consider them to be worth it anymore.

However, we went this past Christmas week and discovered that if you visit WDW after December 20, you get almost of the benefits of the Christmas Party, Parade, etc. without having to pay extra for the privilege. Of course it's not limited attendance, so it was crowded, but the MK was open until at least midnight every night, and the crowds thinned out considerably after 10.

disney obsessed
04-14-2015, 06:40 PM
I would go if i did not have a length of stay or season pass ticket. If we are on property for 4days, for example, and have a two day ticket we would by that and go in at 4 because it is cheaper than a one day pass. Since i have had a season pass, i no longer go.

MNNHFLTX
04-14-2015, 11:21 PM
First off, what is Xmas?????? There is no such thing. The holiday is CHRISTmas. Sorry, but this is something that ticks me off more and more each time I see it.
Actually, Xmas is a term that that has been used interchangeably for Christmas since the 17th century. The letter "X" originating from the Greek letter "Chi", which was the first letter of the word Christos, which obviously stands for Christ. So there definitely is a legitimate use of the term Xmas.

As far as the question by the original poster--if you have already done the MVMCP, then I don't think you're missing out out by skipping it this time. I agree that the cost is prohibitive and the way that Disney over-sells these events in recent years makes them far less enjoyable than they used to be.

Tank3434
04-20-2015, 09:27 PM
I have done the party a few times and alotho my kids haven't at 4.5 and 3 I don't think they are gonna feel like they are missing out this time. And yes we have done the Halloween party the last 2 trips and I wouldn't miss it for the headless horseman alone! We are actually staying at the Poly for the first time so I think we can see the fireworks from somewhere at the hotel and best the crowds and the costs...

Orlando Resident
04-21-2015, 09:44 AM
I would definitely agree with skipping the Christmas Party. The park will be decked out in the same holiday decorations on non-party days and this is the key, make sure you go on a non-party day with regular park hours late into the evening, on party days the park closes earlier in preparation for the event so you do not want to be there on those days..

The Dad
04-24-2015, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=PopPhan;2453113]First off, what is Xmas?????? There is no such thing. The holiday is CHRISTmas. Sorry, but this is something that ticks me off more and more each time I see it.

I'm with you PopPhan! I'm am tired of this PC Xmas nonsense! As far as the very merry Christmas Party, we've been on numerous occasions over the years, however, we've come to realize that the cost far outweighs the the advantages.....it's really not that big of a deal. BTW....merry Christmas!

dtootsie42
04-26-2015, 02:05 PM
We have been numerous times but we finally stopped going due to cost and other factors. We decided to take the money and do a really nice dinner out. So many terrific places to explore!
---------------------------------------------------------
Dec 1997-Contemporary
Dec 1999-Poly
Dec 2001-Poly concierge
June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2003-Poly concierge
Dec 2005-Poly concierge
Dec 2007-Poly concierge
Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2009-Poly concierge
Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
September 2012- Paradise Pier
January 2014-Grand Floridian
December 2014-Grand Californian

manutd1
04-26-2015, 02:40 PM

OK, off my (abbreviated) soapbox.....

As far as MVMCP goes, there is nothing major that you get for the $$$ spent. Yes, a couple "stage" shows and a dance party, but I didn't see that it was worth the high fees. For the most part, you can see the holiday Wishes tag from outside the park -- Contemporary, Bay Lake, etc. MVMCP is a one and done party, and I have already done it once.

MNSSHP is actually a much better ROI. The parade is better; The fireworks are better; AND you can 'trick or treat' around the park and get (bags of) candy!!! MNSSHP can be revisited occasionally. I have done it once and would definitely do it again.
agreed 110% Christmas..
And, I will add that the cost of anything is supply and demand. Yep, WDW chargers more for these events....and they are filled to the rim with people. There is always folks who can afford what someone charges for anything.

Disney Doll
06-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Christmas, xmas, it doesn't really matter and neither is intended to be PC. It saves a few key strokes, nothing more. Don't make it a bigger deal than it is.

We did the MVMCP the first time we went in December and loved it. However, we are skipping it this year. We agreed to book a trip this year only if we kept it to a minimal budget so we've cut a lot of extras. I honestly don't think the kids will even care. For us, we evaluate the budget for each trip and splurge or not depending on the year. I would never feel pressure to do it all. Regardless, you're spending time with the family in Disney World and that's all that matters. :mickey:

Monkeespaw
10-10-2015, 07:45 AM
I like to do the Xmas party on my arrival day. We don't buy park tickets that day and buy the party tickets instead. Even though it starts at 7pm, they let you in at 4pm and then you can have a "whole day" at Magic Kingdom on your travel day. The rides have short lines because everybody's doing the special Christmas shows, parades, and character greets. We catch a couple of those but mainly use the time for rides that whole evening.

TheVBs
10-10-2015, 09:45 AM
We did the Xmas party a few years ago, but it wasn't during a regular WDW trip. We just stopped for a couple of days on our way down to see family. We enjoyed it and were glad we went. If we're ever in the same circumstances, we'd probably do it again, but would likely pass if it were a regular trip. I agree with what others have said. If you've done it several times, I don't think you'll regret taking a break from it.

TheVBs
10-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Oh, and the Xmas/Christmas thing... type whatever YOU want to type. Intercot is not the place to try to bully or shame others into conforming to what you want them to do.

brad192
10-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Did the party once back when it was (relatively) cheap. I thought the added entertainment was OK, but there was no wow factor at all. Decided the next day that it was a "one & done" for me. With today's pricing, I wouldn't even consider it, even if I'd never been before.

MrPeetrie
10-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Going to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party has always been a given for us. This year, after a three-year hiatus from Walt Disney World, we returned and naturally purchased tickets. Nearly $400 four the four of us. Ouch That's on top of the four 10-day, Water Park & More Hoppers.

We went in mid-September expecting light crowds. Sold out! Packed to the gills. Unenjoyable. These used to be great events where for a few extra dollars, you felt like you had an intimate evening in the Magic Kingdom with characters, shows, and events. This time, we felt like herded cattle.

Parades were six and eight people deep. Hocus Pocus Show (excellent) was shoulder to shoulder for every show until night's end.

It felt like an overt money grab. Contemplating not attending next time, as sad as that sounds.

tjstrike
10-12-2015, 07:34 AM
We've never done MVMCP, we did MNSSHP several years in a row but prices and crowds have drove us away. You used to be able to actually move around during the parties pretty good and for $40 bucks a head it was well worth it. Not anymore.

:tree: :santa:

Pally
10-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I know it can feel weird not doing something that has been tradition but in this case I don't think it is worth it anymore. Just not unique enough. Cookies and hot chocolate are not a draw. Does anybody like the cookies?:ack:

I think weaning yourself this year might be a good idea. Do something else like maybe go visit the decorated hotels and have a nice meal instead. Watch the water parade in the evening and fireworks from off site. You may make a new tradition that is just as enjoyable. Make it into a quiet family evening that you really connect with one another.

Stu29573
10-12-2015, 03:36 PM
We are skipping it this time. Just too expensive, and you get to see the parade and fireworks after they stop running the parties anyway...

DizneyRox
10-13-2015, 11:58 AM
MNSSHP I think is a better event than MVMCP... With all the XMas stuff going on in the world, I see no reason to drop that much cabbage on it. MNSSHP is really the only Halloween thing happening in the parks, which makes it a bit more "special". Still the prices they are asking now are just insanity!

As many have said, these are now more of a Been There, Done That, Not again event, but I wouldn't even put the XMas party there. Really not much of a reason to do it.

John
10-15-2015, 02:33 PM
I have to be honest - all of the special parties are starting to be a turn off for me. When in the past, it seemed they were crowd limited and you could have a good time and still get on attractions without crazy long lines - they now seem to be oversold. Last year when I brought my wife for the first time to MNSSHP she was extremely disappointed due to the size of the crowds. It was like being in the magic kingdom on some of it's most crowded day. Call me crazy, but I really think that if you only allow a reasonable number of people in - then it's more enjoyable for everyone. We stayed for the parade and fireworks and left immediately after. For us, it just didn't feel like we were getting our money's worth.

John
10-15-2015, 02:34 PM
We've never done MVMCP, we did MNSSHP several years in a row but prices and crowds have drove us away. You used to be able to actually move around during the parties pretty good and for $40 bucks a head it was well worth it. Not anymore.

:tree: :santa:

+1 - This.

GMRO
10-15-2015, 03:53 PM
I have to be honest - all of the special parties are starting to be a turn off for me. When in the past, it seemed they were crowd limited and you could have a good time and still get on attractions without crazy long lines - they now seem to be oversold. Last year when I brought my wife for the first time to MNSSHP she was extremely disappointed due to the size of the crowds. It was like being in the magic kingdom on some of it's most crowded day. Call me crazy, but I really think that if you only allow a reasonable number of people in - then it's more enjoyable for everyone. We stayed for the parade and fireworks and left immediately after. For us, it just didn't feel like we were getting our money's worth.

#yeahwhathesaid

Years ago we did MVMCP and we did enjoy it. BUT we've not been to any other park themed party. Would like to experience the Halloween stuff but we don't vaca that time of year.

Unfortunately with all the internet talk of over sold out parties - I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Shame...I think it started as a good thing and was toted to be unique. BUT now I doubt the extra fee is worth it due to just way too many people in the park.

TheVBs
10-16-2015, 09:20 AM
That's the biggest problem, the crowds. We would be willing to pay for the tickets if we knew attendance was limited enough for us to actually be able to participate in every aspect of it.

During the Halloween party, the lines for the villains were insane. We could have spent the whole party in lines, not managed to meet all the characters and not have gotten to do anything else. I told the girls to pick just one villain then we did other things. Lines for everything else were reasonable I thought. We walked on rides, the trick or treating was quick. Loved the parade! But, even the second one was packed with people. Loved the fireworks. For what you pay to get in though, Disney really needs to limit attendance.

Did the Xmas party just one year on our way down to see family. We enjoyed it, but I agree with others that it didn't have quite the same bang for the buck that the Halloween party does. The parade was cute, we were able to get on rides and see some characters. Didn't bother with the hot chocolate and cookies lines, they were way too long. I couldn't believe people would wait that long for them when there was so much else to do.

I know I've already said this, but if Disney would limit the attendance on these parties to a reasonable level, they would certainly be worth it.

brad192
10-16-2015, 10:16 AM
That's the biggest problem, the crowds. We would be willing to pay for the tickets if we knew attendance was limited enough for us to actually be able to participate in every aspect of it....

....I know I've already said this, but if Disney would limit the attendance on these parties to a reasonable level, they would certainly be worth it.

Until TDO changes their profit-driven attitude, the parties will continue to be overpriced, oversold & crowded. Think about it - they have the regular day Guest crowd all during the day, then it's Party Time:pumpkin::santa:, and everyone gets to pay again :spend: for access to the party, effectively doubling their gate revenue for that day.

I can see the accountant's eyes glazing over with delight...:shake:

Hammer
10-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Until TDO changes their profit-driven attitude, the parties will continue to be overpriced, oversold & crowded. Think about it - they have the regular day Guest crowd all during the day, then it's Party Time:pumpkin::santa:, and everyone gets to pay again :spend: for access to the party, effectively doubling their gate revenue for that day.

I can see the accountant's eyes glazing over with delight...:shake:

If you have people clamoring for the product, as the crowds at these events would indicate, they will see no reason to change.

I went to MNSSHP in 2007 (I think, or maybe 2008) and enjoyed it, but it was a one and done for me back then, even when attendance was limited. I am not a big Halloween person, though, as I do not like scary or horror movies (as an example, I have no desire to watch the Walking Dead). As many have said, I would save the money on the Christmas party and just enjoy a meal at one of the resorts that are beautifully decorated for Christmas, like the Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge.

TheVBs
10-17-2015, 09:59 AM
I know. Limiting attendance would only take money out of their pockets given how popular these parties are. It would just be nice if they considered it only for the sake of improving the guest's experience.

brad192
10-17-2015, 11:12 AM
I know. Limiting attendance would only take money out of their pockets given how popular these parties are. It would just be nice if they considered it only for the sake of improving the guest's experience.

Exactly my point. Sure, you reap short-term profits, but long-term Guest satisfaction (which would generate LOTS more $) suffers - as evidenced by many of the previous posts. Management used to understand this, but they're now stuck with the "what's my quarterly bottom line look like" mentality. I believe there is a need for some serious rethinking along these lines.