PDA

View Full Version : What type of Disney vacationer are you?

pabef601
04-11-2015, 01:19 PM
We have friends who go several times a year and are Disney lovers for sure. We also have friends who have been once or twice and are done They felt rushed and worn out when they returned home didn't enjoy the food and missed out on must sees. We go as often as we can afford and are so excited to be returning in June! We tell everyone that once you have been at least several times it is more fun than ever! You know how to navigate, where to eat, and when to relax. You know what you want to do and what to skip. This time my daughter is taking a friend. They are both 17 so my husband and I can do some things on our own! So excited!

tundramom
04-11-2015, 03:10 PM
We go nearly every year and look forward to each and every trip. Granted, we don't hit the park at rope drop every day (nearly), but we do maximize almost every hour they are open. We still manage to find new experiences or eat at new places each trip and always do at least 1 sit down meal a day. For us, the planning is part of the fun and helps prolong the Disney magic between trips. One of our favorite things to do is take people along who have never been, it's like being there the first time all over again. :mickey:

BigRedDad
04-11-2015, 04:27 PM
We have been enough, so there are very few must-do's. We are there at rope drop to get as much done as early as possible. Take afternoons and maybe even evenings off. We enjoy the resort and DTD if we don't go back to a park. The issue with people "rushing" is because they think they have to do EVERYTHING. Rushing means you miss tons. If you want to do everything, you need to go for a 2-3 months and bring $100k +

VacationDisney
04-11-2015, 04:40 PM
We go almost every year. Each trip we try a new restaurant. We love having a TS meal each day. It's a great way to relax after a very busy day at the parks.

We do all the "must do" list and then do whatever we want after that. Take time to smell the flowers type of thing.

Looking forward to going next month:thumbsup:

faline
04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
We've been often enough that we're pretty relaxed about our vacation. We do make some plans but those plans are always subject to change based on what we decide to do last minute.

manutd1
04-11-2015, 05:07 PM
We go every other year normally.....twice this year though.
And, we open and close the parks!:thumbsup: Bust out a great 7 days and do it to the fullest.:mickey:
In May, We will spend extra time in the World Showcase this go around.
And, Of course...while the kids goto sleep at night..I enjoy my pool side cigar. Great way to relax and take it all in.

MrPeetrie
04-11-2015, 07:12 PM
we usually buy an annual pass and try to get two trips on one pass. I own a small construction company (very small) so my only window is in the Fall. We usually go and try to see the MNSSHP, as well as the F&WF. We usually go for 10 nights (11 on this upcoming trip,) so we don't have to rush around. We like taking our time and really absorb everything around us.

We have a few "Must-Do's", but we always try to add a few new restaurants. The year: Be Our Guest, Raglan Road, Trattoria al Forno, as well as Ohana character breakfast are all first-time additions.

We are die-hard Disney lovers. At night, my children love me to tell them a Disney Story. It's essentially me describing one (fictitious) day on Disney property. They want as much detail as I can put in. I'm not sure who loves it more: them? or me?

159 Days to Go. Then we'll be home. That's they type of Disney goer we are.

paragon
04-11-2015, 08:16 PM
We go every September, usually a ten day trip. I do almost all of the planning. There isn't much we haven't done, but always seem to find something new, even if its something small. We used to do two trips each year until we tried the Disney cruise, now we do the parks in September and a cruise in April. Our park trips are fun, but can be exhausting at times. The cruise is much more relaxing.
Can't wait, we are setting sail in just two more weeks!

EeyoresBestFriend
04-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Like many, we go as often as we can afford it. Because we come from the west coast, we generally are there for at least 12 days.

We have been 11 times and still have a lot to see. Love the cuisine offerings and try one new place each time. We often go with groups as family and friends need 'guides' and will join us when we plan.

If we don't come home tired and broke, we didn't have enough fun! :D

azcavalier
04-13-2015, 09:17 AM
We used to go just once a year for 7-10 days (depending on flights).

Then, a few years ago, they started giving DVC members a great discount on Premium Annual Passes. That, combined with what we had already paid for our trip, meant that it only cost us $40 a person to upgrade to the AP. And ever since then my wife and I have gone three or four times a year. We still do the big 7-10 day trip with our kids and other friends/family (we love bringing people with us), but we have squeezed in a few short trips that we otherwise wouldn't have done. Since we had APs, we surprised the kids with a surprise trip to Star Wars Weekends last year. We also came down for a college football game in October (UCF) and a little golf (Disney's Magnolia). In 20 days, the DW and I are heading down for a three-day weekend to celebrate our 20th Anniversary before the APs expire at the end of May!

We're probably not going to get APs again this year, but we're still planning our "big" trip for late September.

minnie04
04-13-2015, 10:45 AM
We used to go at least twice a year. And we were never rope drop kind of people. We would get everything done in a day. I guess back in the day the lines were not as crazy long as they are now. We didn't ever do fast pass until the every end of the paper ones and that was only because the parks got really crowded. what ever one we were able to get we did never ran to the machines. NOW 23 years later we have AP's never knew how good these could be. We get to the park when we feel like it and hop around depending on what we feel like doing. Our twice a year has become 3 to 4 times a year just doing long weekends & 1 night stays. We are able to get everything in and have a great time..:mickey:

OH and with the new FP+ we are able to get all the rides we like. With AP's and FP+ will keep going as often as we can..

Priority Four
04-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Every other year is a "Disney Year" for us. Usually June, December, June and sometimes a long weekend or spring break thrown in. Drawback is that there is a two year gap between visits. I have not been since June 2013. Positive is that there are usually a lot of new things to see and do after a two year break. Disney Year starts in 55 days!

DNS
04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
We go almost every year and are coming up on either our 17th or 18th trip. Starting to lose track. As was said, we enjoy it more now because we know what we like and what we can skip. We have been at various times of year and know the what time is best for us and the weather. Disney changes rides/attractions enough to keep it interesting to those of us who go every year. We like to change around restaurants each trip as well. And we have learned that for us, hotel hopping/eating/shopping is worth at least 2 days! We have gone with small children, teens and just DH and myself and it is a different experience each time. Hubby and I have an awesome time by ourselves. That's one thing I think Disney misses out on. Advertising how great it is with just adults too. Most people ask me why we want to go when we don't have kids at home. People think it's all about the kids, but it is not. Disney is our favorite place to vacation and we are over 50 now!

ThanxForNoticin
04-13-2015, 12:29 PM
DNS - CANNOT agree with you more. We absolutely loved the Disney experiences with our kids - would never trade them for anything. But they are older now, and we are enjoying our Disney time just as much now that we're older without the kids. So relaxing and fun..... That being said, I will treasure the chance to take grandkids back, when that hopefully happens!!

We tend to do things so much more relaxed now. We like to go for 2-3 nights for a long weekend, maybe an average of once or twice per year. We enjoy the parks, but not from 8AM until midnight anymore!

There are so many ways to enjoy the magic of Disney World..... As for the folks who won't ever go back (and we have friends who tell us the same thing), that's their choice. I can't imagine anyone ever going to WDW and having a bad time - but I guess it happens. But in the long run, that leaves more room for the rest of us who want to be there!

Mitzie
04-13-2015, 01:10 PM
We made it 4 times in 2014..that is a record for us. Normally it is about twice a year. Like the other post, we take it easy. We know what we like and love to plan our trips. Love staying at the resorts -missing AKL-haven't been there for a while. When you aren't rushing around trying to do everything you can stop and enjoy all the details that Disney is so good at providing for us. When we are there we overhear others and I can understand why they say "Never Again"..when I speak with people who have that opinion it often boils down to not planning and researching. One example was a couple we overheard on the monorail coming into T&T. He said to his wife if we stay on this we will get to HS. They were getting frustrated because they couldn't figure out where to get off the monorail. I pointed out to them that they could ride it for hours and never make it to HS on it...I directed them on the need to get off the monorail and take a bus.

#1donaldfan
04-13-2015, 01:34 PM
We try to go at least once a year, but the last few years we've been fortunate enough to go more, depending on schedules. We have been so many times that we have evolved into a slower paced visit, with rope dropping every day, then relaxing for hours at the resort, to return each evening with FP's in hand. We are now more focused on great dinning rather than riding SM multiple times a day. There are several shows we must see and to resort hop is fun thing for us. We just relax anymore, more-so than when we were novice visitors who were the ones running to and fro, frantically trying to see it all only to return home and feel like we were never there. We like it slow now....:thumbsup:

whitney37354
04-13-2015, 01:51 PM
We've been twice & are going back in June. We try to go every two to three years. The original plans was every five years to save up money for the trip, but we had a chance to go with friends a couple of years ago.

First trip: DDP, every character meal available except one, took an afternoon break every day, club level @ CR, park hoppers, just our family of three, Typhoon Lagoon, never used the hotel pool

Second trip: no dining plan, four ts meals with friends, lots of shared QS meals & meals @ camper @ Ft. Wilderness, fewer breaks, park hoppers, with another family of four, used the campground pool

Next trip: QS dining plan, only two ts meals (both character), no breaks, no park hoppers, taking our mothers with us, FP+, might use the pool after our AK/DTD day

Each trip is different. We'll eventually find a style that is best for us! My only bucket list item is to stay at each WDW resort at least once. Two down, many left to go!

azcavalier
04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
My only bucket list item is to stay at each WDW resort at least once. Two down, many left to go!

This is us. And to try every restaurant once. On our upcoming anniversary trip, we're trying three new restaurants! Narcoosee's, The Plaza, and Trattoria Al Forno. Can't wait! And when we go in September, we'll be staying at Caribbean Beach, leaving only one moderate left we haven't tried.

Maddie
04-14-2015, 09:03 AM
We try to go every year and do a rundisney event. Even with that and waking up at 3:00am to get to the start line our vacation is still relaxing. Wandering around the parks and eating at all the restaurants is enough for us to keep coming back. I think that often, when you have 1st or 2nd time visitors they try to squeeze in too much and end up being in the parks from open to close exhausted. We always take an afternoon trip back to the hotel and relax, even if we have to sacrifice one of our favorite attractions. Sometimes, you have to make sacrifices to make the trip truly enjoyable! Getting your moneys worth is all about enjoying yourself not what you can squeeze into your day!

mcjaco
04-14-2015, 11:48 AM
I used to go every year as a kid. Then as we hit Jr. High and High School visiting other places took precedent. College was tough too. As I got back into Disney and theme parks after college I visited more frequently.

With kids now, we try to go every 12 - 14 months, especially before they head off to elementary school and their schedules become limited to breaks. Hoping to head back in early 2016.

Gator
04-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Right now, I've got an AP to Disneyland....so our trips have moved from very rushed to do everything to slightly slower, taking time for Tom Sawyer Island, and taking advantage of interactive activities.

But when it comes to WDW, it's so far away and trips are so far apart that when we get there, it's: get to the park as soon as we can, ride ride ride, and then catch the night time show. Of course, we love going on the DDP so we feel like we can eat great food every day.

I still remember going back for the second time. We now understood the concept of WDW and had spent time on Intercot to figure things out. That trip was just the best - being able to return to all the things we loved, do things we didn't even know about before, catch the new rides. I have a feeling that our next trip (first with FP+) will be a learning experience and the following trip will be much better.

disney obsessed
04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
I have been to the world 50 times since 1997.
In the beginning it was rush rush to do and see as much as you can. Now, i am able to go on property and not even go in a park and make a vacation out of it.

Of course, my preference is 4parks in one day with no crowds. Its been several years since we could do that!

tjstrike
04-14-2015, 06:54 PM
We're AP buyers that go every other year and try to get 2-3 trips in with the AP. Usually 2 DVC resort trips and then 1 trip we stay at my sisters house. (She works at WDW and lives about 5 minutes from MK). With the 3 kids growing up and moving on to college I feel we're in a transition where it's going to get harder to plan these trips.

DonaldDuckUSA
04-15-2015, 08:53 AM
DBF and I don't have APs right now (his work is busy and I want to see other places for a bit), but when we did our tourism style was a little different.

We're Florida residents (about four hours away from park entrance) and we've taken a different approach. Rather than save save save, we keep our budget small and take short trips, but we take a lot of them. Our trips generally don't last longer than three days and they're somewhat spur of the moment. Do we see everything in two days? No, but we may take a trip every four to eight weeks so we'll get to it all eventually.

We've stayed on site a few times, but we mostly check out hotels.com for a cheap room rate in the Orlando area. We have our own car and sometimes we're okay with leaving the "disney magic" for a bit.

Dining - We have solidified our best dining style and its usually snack or CS related. We do TS once a trip, usually around lunch time. Since we don't make ADRs (last minute travelers), our TS planning is to pick restaurants where we can grab a seat at the bar and order off the full menu.

Some of our trips are SEE SEE SEE RIDE RIDE RIDE PLAN PLAN PLAN and others are "eh, if we're not able to ride it, we will sit here and have a drink and people watch." Just depends on the day, our mood, and time of year.

DizNee143
04-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Growing up with my mom dad and sister..we'd go at least once a year.
Now married with 2 kids and 1 on the way..we seem to average every other year..or whenever we can afford it..my 5 year old has been 3 times already and my 2 year old once. But we are surprising them in 2 weeks with a long weekend trip thanx to our awesome tax return! :mickey:
I've gone so many times, I'm content if I just stay at the resort the whole time. Lol
The only thing we ever plan is what park each day, and a few ADRs here and there.
We know there will always be a other vacation to Disney so we don't get to crazy or upset if something is missed...

taleasoldastime
04-20-2015, 03:52 PM
I love going about every other year and for at least a week, that way I can take it easy! I have gone quiet a few times so I don't have to do everything. I am mostly there for the ambiance, the food, and Pirates of the Caribbean!!

RunDMV
04-20-2015, 07:13 PM
with fp+, I consider myself former Disney vacationer.

Disney4us2
04-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Being local, so far the FP+ works for me. I can get most attractions a few days before going to a park. Lately with Epcot a Flower & Garden festival, I don't get any FP. I go to the festival center to do the gardening demo. After that I go home.

We will be doing a staycation this summer, then I can plan more for my FP +.

eandrsmom
04-26-2015, 05:30 PM
We used to be early rope drop people, but have given that up. We now like to sleep late, relax, have brunch then head out to the parks around 10:00. We stay for a few hours, have lunch around 2:00 then head back to the hotel to swim and relax. We have dinner around 7:00, then hit whatever park is open late and we stay until it closes. Sometimes this can be VERY late depending on EMH. It works for us. With teens, it is nearly impossible to get them moving on vacation. Doing it this way is much less stressful and relaxing.

Cass&KenziesMom
04-26-2015, 05:41 PM
First time we brought the kids we were there at rope drop (earlier because of ADR's a couple of days) and stayed until the kids were tired and wanted to leave. We had ADRs every day for 2 meals a day because we had the meal plan. No FastPass use at all. (Mardi Gras week in Feb.) This past Christmas we only did a couple of ADRs and used FP+ and were still pretty much there at rope drop or close to it. Next trip in July we're going to just play it by ear. If I can get FP for stuff then great...if not we'll just get to what we can. If the kids want to sleep in that's fine. I only have 1 ADR made and that's for BOG for lunch our first full day there because it's just something we HAVE to do. Other than that meals will be at our timeshare and we'll definitely get in some pool time as a break from the parks.

DANAM
04-26-2015, 11:21 PM
We try for every year or every other year. We drive so we normally stay for 10 days. We have always stayed at values and used the DDP. We hit every rope drop, took a mid day break, and closed the parks. The kids are getting older and we have done everything. We are looking to relax some. So for this trip, we upgraded to the YC and no dining plan. We hope to try some restaurants we haven't tried before because you try to maximize your money on the plan. We still plan on hitting some rope drops and park closures. But hopefully not on the same day. Looking forward to a slower pace trip to Disney. 26 days and counting!

joonyer
04-26-2015, 11:50 PM
We don't go every year, sometimes 3-4 years between trips to WDW, but when we get there, we are "Park Commandos"! Fun Fun Fun, but we had to go home to "rest up" from our vacation.

Now that our kids are almost grown (22 and 19) I'm looking forward to some more relaxing trips to the world. Just DW and me.

tjstrike
04-27-2015, 12:47 AM
We used to be early rope drop people, but have given that up. We now like to sleep late, relax, have brunch then head out to the parks around 10:00. We stay for a few hours, have lunch around 2:00 then head back to the hotel to swim and relax. We have dinner around 7:00, then hit whatever park is open late and we stay until it closes. Sometimes this can be VERY late depending on EMH. It works for us. With teens, it is nearly impossible to get them moving on vacation. Doing it this way is much less stressful and relaxing.

I know how you feel, that's us too.