PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge Renovations

Jeff T
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Currently are there any renovations taking place at the Wilderness Lodge Resort? Any planned during the Summer months? A few sites indicated scaffolding was still in place along the courtyard exterior.

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last Summer while work was being done on Silver Creek Falls both outside and in the lobby.

The pool area renovation was completed earlier this year, and looks great.

Sure would be nice to enjoy all the sites and sounds of the resort without any major renovation work for a change.

vicster
04-07-2015, 02:03 PM
I hope they're done - we're going in September.

buzznwoodysmom
04-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Would like to possibly stay here in Oct. Hopefully if anything is going on then it's minimal. After all the recent work at WL I am surprised they would still be working come Oct.

Davy Crockett
05-14-2015, 08:50 AM
The scaffolding you saw is or was as it may be down by now for exterior only renovations to the "bear face" section of the interior courtyard. Other than that the only other possible renovation that could occur was a quick 30 day reno on Whispering Canyon Café. It was slated to have started around mid May (NOW) and be completed by mid June. But from talking with VWL Mom here on Intercot she says that this has changed as they are going the last week of May and have ADR's for Whispering Canyon.

I would say your are good to go :thumbsup:

JanetMegan
05-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Just a head's up, I know I read on a construction website that there has been a notice of commencement to do some major work there I just don't know when. You can google Wilderness Lodge notice of commencement to check it out. Sounds like major changes like at the Poly to add DVC rooms.

Davy Crockett
05-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Janet - You are correct but that is being planned for the Villas and not the main lodge. From what I've read they are still in the planning phase of that and have no detailed scope ( I would imagine it will be the same style room make over that the lodge went through a few years ago though) nor any designated start date.

Hammer
05-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Just a head's up, I know I read on a construction website that there has been a notice of commencement to do some major work there I just don't know when. You can google Wilderness Lodge notice of commencement to check it out. Sounds like major changes like at the Poly to add DVC rooms.

Janet - You are correct but that is being planned for the Villas and not the main lodge. From what I've read they are still in the planning phase of that and have no detailed scope ( I would imagine it will be the same style room make over that the lodge went through a few years ago though) nor any designated start date.

Actually, I have read on various DVC sites the same information as Janet. There has been talk for a while of converting some of the floors into DVC, like what was done at AKL. This would include adding club level rooms available to be booked as DVC, also like AKL. That level of DVC room is VERY popular and is hard to book unless you book at 11 months.

There was also talk of adding "teepee" accommodations similar to the bungalows at Poly, but I think they are re-thinking that idea as the bungalows aren't booking as well as they had hoped. Could it be the outrageous points per night needed to stay in those rooms :scratch:?!

Davy Crockett
05-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Actually, I have read on various DVC sites the same information as Janet. There has been talk for a while of converting some of the floors into DVC, like what was done at AKL. This would include adding club level rooms available to be booked as DVC, also like AKL. That level of DVC room is VERY popular and is hard to book unless you book at 11 months.

There was also talk of adding "teepee" accommodations similar to the bungalows at Poly, but I think they are re-thinking that idea as the bungalows aren't booking as well as they had hoped. Could it be the outrageous points per night needed to stay in those rooms :scratch:?!

I hope that does not happen - "converting" standard WL rooms to DVC rooms.
As it is already hard enough competing and booking specific rooms types as it is. Add in DVC members and reduce the overall total number of rooms available and it will be unbearable...
I can possibly understand it for AKL as they seem to always have availability when others have none or limited. That would be fiscally beneficial to the resort. This does not seem to be the case at WL. I don't think we've ever been there and it wasn't packed.

Just my humble opinion