PDA

View Full Version : Poly Bakery for a Birthday Cake

faberj
04-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Hello, We will be staying at the DVC Villa's at the Poly in Sept and have reservations at Ohana for dinner. It will be my birthday and I was thinking of getting a cake (not the standard one at the podium at check in), but a custom cake. Has anyone ever had one from the Poly Bakery?? If so any feedback would be much appreciated.

AgentC
04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Unless something has recently changed, the custom cakes at the Polynesian are from the Grand Floridian.

I have order two cakes (a 6 inch and a mini) that were baked at the GF. The process was quite simple and the cakes were delicious but they are expensive. The 6 inch with butter cream was about $60 3 years ago. I think the mini cake was $35. Both of my children really enjoyed their cakes and I'm glad I ordered them but I'm not sure I would do it again.

It is nice to have them in the restaurant but since you are staying in a villa, if you have transportation another nice option would be ordering a cake from Publix which has excellent cakes and having it at your villa.

faberj
04-06-2015, 12:58 PM
We usually do have transportation but this trip we opted not to rent a car since we will be at the poly and the transportation options are really good at the MK resorts.

AgentC
04-06-2015, 01:41 PM
If you go to this (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=206949) link it has one of the previous threads on cakes. The last post contains pictures of the cakes I ordered.

buzznwoodysmom
04-06-2015, 05:23 PM
We have ordered a nice sized Mickey head cake while staying at WL twice. Both times were for our kids' birthdays. Since we were staying at WL we celebrate their birthday dinners at WCC, so that we could put the leftover cake in our room after dinner. Both where chocolate cakes, with chocolate filling and the face of mickey was a thin white chocolate candy. I paid around $45 both times and I believe the cakes were made at the Contemporary bakery. We had groups of around 15 people each time and we had plenty of left over cake for both occasions. Although not everyone at the table had cake, but it could have easily been enough for our entire group.

There is a cake hot line number floating around somewhere. That is the number I called for all of the cakes we have ordered over the years. We did an anniversary cake at Yachtmans Steakhouse one year. That cake was a white cake with a fresh strawberry and cream filling decorated in black and white with red accents. That cake was a little larger and cost around $60, if I am remembering correctly. It's been a long time! Lol.