PDA

View Full Version : Non expiration tickets

Catzle
03-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Can you still buy these?

VWL Mom
03-28-2015, 05:37 PM
They stopped selling no expiration tickets on February 22nd. They will continue to honor those that have been previously purchased.

Catzle
03-29-2015, 12:54 PM
I wonder why they did this?

mydisneygirls
03-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Because they make more money not selling them!!

rwdavis2
04-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I wonder why they did this?

Some reasons I've heard is that many people did not know how they worked (I don't get this). Nor was there a simple way for someone to find out how many days were left.

But, if you used them correctly (3 or more trips) they saved you money. But the ever increasing cost of the no expiration option almost made them impossible to save money on.

ThanxForNoticin
04-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Yea, Disney clearly wanted to get out of the business of non-exp tickets for some reason - probably more for Disney's benefit than ours. It likely keeps their books a bit cleaner. But if you think about it, this is another perk that goes away (at least from our perspective). They've had the option for non-exp tickets since they opened in the 70s. We often would buy multi-day non-exp tickets that could be used for several shorter trips. We bought one last 10-day in January, expecting the rumors to be true that they were going to stop selling them. We'll have to use that last ticket wisely!

And I might be off here, but it seems to me that with the new tech wave at Disney, and the Disney Experience accounts and magic bands, keeping track of your tickets became much easier - many people don't even have physical ticket anymore - they are just loaded into an account and linked to magic bands. It would be so much easier now to keep track of the non-exp tickets! Oh well.

Wayne
04-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Just to clarify, non-expiring park hopper was the default on multi-day tickets (except for length of stay for hotel guests) until Magic Your Way came along in the early 2000's. The only benefit to the change of splitting this out has been to Disney's bottom line.

PunkyBBB
04-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Well, I can say for ONE, I am NOT happy about this, like others, I have purchased 10 day tickets to use for several shorter trips. I know why Disney did this, it is about the dollar! But for those of us who like to go several times a year, it sure hurts our POCKETS!!!:thedolls::mad: In the long run, I hope it hurts their pocket as well, as I will no longer be going several times a year, therefore only spending dollars ONCE a year!

joonyer
04-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Well, I can say for ONE, I am NOT happy about this, like others, I have purchased 10 day tickets to use for several shorter trips. I know why Disney did this, it is about the dollar! But for those of us who like to go several times a year, it sure hurts our POCKETS!!!:thedolls::mad: In the long run, I hope it hurts their pocket as well, as I will no longer be going several times a year, therefore only spending dollars ONCE a year!

They are trying to force you (and others who make several visits per year) into buying an Annual Pass instead, which costs much more.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I think the birth of the entire My Disney Experience behemoth inadvertently forced the ending of non-expiring tickets because of technical and practical challenges, not the bottom line.

There have been regular postings about people on the boards who have multiple tickets linked on their MDE and are trying to figure out how the system will treat them at the gate. At the end of the day, most people are not savvy (or persistent) enough to manage multiple tickets online (or at Guest Relations) to keep the system from using the wrong ticket for admission on a particular trip, so Disney decided to eliminate the choice in the future. I think it's the same mentality that makes most people's Facebook information visible to everyone even when they think they are "hidden", because keeping things straight on Facebook (with the many rules changes) requires persistence most people don't have when it comes to computers.

Of course the system still allows for someone to accumulate multiple "never used" tickets on an account (i.e. with forced package purchases to get free dining), and I would imagine that this scenario is next on the radar of the rule changers.

faline
04-09-2015, 04:30 PM
We were just recently in Disneyland and noticed the park tickets there specified they expired 14 days after first use or on a specific date which, if I recall, was in March of next year so.....it sounds like the tickets there expire even if you don't use them!!