PDA

View Full Version : DVC Purchase Advice Needed

blondeinbrandon
03-26-2015, 03:45 PM
I’m just looking for ideas/opinions on our upcoming DVC purchase.
We are buying resale and can pay cash for the points. We live in Florida and go to Disney all the time. We really prefer the deluxe resorts so we feel that DVC is a good choice for us.
We are planning on 300-400 points. I want at least 100 at Boardwalk or Beach Club so we can book food and wine, and the rest will probably be Saratoga or Old Key West.
I am 47 and hubby is 51, we have 4 teenage Disney crazy sons.
So here is the question. Should we buy two contracts and be done, or should we buy 4 separate contracts (most likely at more money per point) so they can be handed down to our sons? And if we did 4 separate should we put each boys name on the contract with us to make it easier for them to receive?
All 4 boys will want DVC, but I have no way of knowing if they will be able to afford or even still live where using it isn’t a hardship.
Also most of the contracts are up in 28 years (a little longer with SSR), it is possible that hubby and I will be hale and hearty and use DVC until the contract is up.(I’m perfectly happy with this possibility!)
I have been on Intercot for a long time and I really want to hear what you guys think.
What would you do?
Thanks!
Debbie

VWL Mom
03-26-2015, 04:16 PM
IMO the easiest would be to buy 4 separate contracts but deed them in you and your DH's name. You can will them to each son separately or redeem them in the future. The reason you would have the same name on all deeds for now and hopefully the same use year is so all the deeds would be on the same master contract for booking purposes.

In our case we bought our original contract through Disney and they split them had us will them one to each son.

dlpmikki
03-26-2015, 06:28 PM
I also suspect 4 contracts would be easiest but would suggest that if you have more than one at each location you try and get the same use year as it will make life a lot easier. I have two different use years at OKW and it seems to get more complicated to use them together as time goes by.

One other consideration to having your sons names included now might be to get benefits like AP rates even after they leave home (assuming you might want them to use the points too!)

LAURA.WDWLOVER
03-26-2015, 06:53 PM
As previously stated, make sure you have the same use year on the contracts. It makes it very easy to book between 7 and 11 months when you have the same use year. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-if you use annual passports the DVC discount only applies to the people on the contract or those living in your house. Since this is a substantial discount, it should also be taken into consideration. We have points at both Old Key West and Bay Lake Tower and definitely would recommend Old Key West - great rooms, friendly staff, very quiet and peaceful. Congratulations what ever your decision.

blondeinbrandon01
03-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone!
For now I'm not worried about the pass discount. We are Florida Residents so we get the discount without being a DVC member. But if the boys leave the state they might need the membership for the discount.
Thanks!!
Debbie

baldburke
03-27-2015, 12:29 PM
You can will them to each son separately or redeem them in the future.

Really? I had no idea they could be willed. That's good to know.

VWL Mom
03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
You can will them to each son separately or redeem them in the future.

Meant to say redeed not redeem, darn auto correct