PDA

View Full Version : Next Trip: Crowds...

Main Street Jim
03-23-2015, 10:00 AM
OK, kids...been a while since I've actually HAD to pay attention to crowd levels at the parks, especially MK...

So, we have two options for our next trip:

Next March (2016, Spring Break) (mid- to late; the 20-26), which will be the week prior to Easter next year; or, 2nd or 3rd week in June.

My sister-in-law and her family (Dh and a then 5yo) have never been, but might spend a day at MK with us.

My opinion would be to wait until June, but then, it's a bit warmer. When you're from Ohio, you're not used to that heat down there. On the other hand, I'd hate for them to experience MK when it's *crowded*...

sonamae80
03-23-2015, 10:46 AM
If it were me, I'd hold out until the first week of June! The crowds are so much more manageable in the first week of June than those of Spring Break. And not all schools follow the same Spring Break. Some take it the week before Easter, others take the week after Easter. :mickey:

crazygoalie39
03-23-2015, 12:30 PM
It depends on what's more important to you and your group. Personally, I'd take heavier crowds over extreme heat. I can tell you from several spring break trips that we've taken, the parks do get crowded in the afternoon, but nothing that isn't manageable. We always get everything in that we want to do and never wait over 20 minutes. You just have to get there before rope drop and then we take a break in the afternoon when things get crowded. However, if you can handle the heat, June would definitely be the better option if avoiding crowds is your main priority.

Strmchsr
03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
I agree on June. Yes, it's hot and humid, but not the worst of the summer heat yet. And the week prior to Easter is a LOT more crowded than early June. Still plenty of crowds in June, but not as bad as around Easter. This week at Disney has been insane and next week will be worse.

Susan A
03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
We went the second week of June twenty years ago. The day we arrived was muggy and rainy. The next morning, the weather was beautiful. Humidity was LOW for the next few days. It was awesome! I don't know how common that is... Were we talking about global warming back then?:confused:

Strmchsr
03-24-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't know how common that is... Were we talking about global warming back then?:confused:

It's not common, but it's not unheard of to have a lower humidity break in June. Fronts still do occasionally come through as the Bermuda High usually isn't fully entrenched by then like it is in July and August. But don't count on low humidity.

Main Street Jim
03-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Looks like we're gonna have to stick with the March dates...

Thanks, kids :)

DisneyGiant
03-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Jim - if some of the family has "never been" - they will acclimate to the crowds - that will be their normal.

We've been going in the summer for years because of the kids & school. It is our normal. We just "deal." The only time the crowds get crazy for us is on EMH days - it is now a perk we avoid like the plague.....

Having the FP+ actually helps. Now - if they could just allow us to pre-select 5 a day instead of 3 - I'd be in heaven. :cloud9:

mommy2maddi
03-25-2015, 07:17 PM
In my opinion, heat is easier to deal with than unmanageable crowds. You can always drink a cold drink, eat a mickey ice cream bar, or step inside to cool off. You can't do anything to thin the crowds. Either way, I'm sure you'll have fun, just probably more fun without having to miss out on things due to crowds.:mickey:

Main Street Jim
03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Well, here's the thing: the other three family members (the SIL/husband/their DD) will only be doing one day with us at the park, so it's *got* to be MK for their 5yo daughter (but me, the wife, and our friend will be there all week). And, since we're staying off-site, we can't really make any FP+ plans. So...I'm guessing all we'll hear all day long is "complaining" about the crowds, knowing my family members. :P

Maddie
03-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Two different experiences, as many said spring break can be heavy crowds. But, if you get to the parks early and book your fastpasses its not "unmanagable" June will be less crowded but it could be very hot :vacation:

Main Street Jim
03-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Two different experiences, as many said spring break can be heavy crowds. But, if you get to the parks early and book your fastpasses its not "unmanagable" June will be less crowded but it could be very hot :vacation:*Yeah*....I'll be lucky to get them all outta bed before 10:00am...especially on vacation...:P

Let me go back a bit and kinda restate what all's going on with this trip:

Me, the wife, and a friend of ours will be doing the parks all week - it's a "Disney-on-purpose" trip for the three of us.

My in-laws, and my sister-in-law and *her* family* are going down with us as well - but *not* to the do the parks; just to vacation in central Florida (might be a beach trip or two in there somewheres for them).

My sister-in-law and her family will *probably* want to bring her 5yo DD to Magic Kingdom, but only for a day visit - not all week. They're not really "theme park people", especially the husband, and they both hate the heat and crowds (but agreed to go on vacation with us in *Florida*...<?>...:confused:). They are NOT early risers, and are NOT "pre-planners". "We'll just wing it when we get there". :/

That being said....*now* we're back to a June trip....LOL

DANAM
03-26-2015, 11:26 PM
I have never been for Spring Break but our family goes last week of May first week of June pretty consistently. The heat is definitely not too bad that early on. We normaly see a good bit of rain 2 full days of our 10, again normally. We are from southern Louisiana so we are used to the heat but we take mid day breaks 12 to 3pm. Oh and I pack 2 sets a clothes a day. We normally all take a mid day shower. No one wants to lay around in sweaty clothes. Crowds are never bad. Lines are relatively short. Its actually a pleasant trip. We went for Christmas last year and I vowed never to go during a major holiday again.