PDA

View Full Version : Kali river

Scrappy2
03-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Just how wet do you get on this ride? I have done all rides at Disney except this ride because of not wanting to get soaked Will a poncho help?

DonaldDuck1117
03-22-2015, 09:22 AM
It's completely random. I'be walked off that ride without so much as a drop of water hitting me while others in my raft are drenched.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-22-2015, 09:35 AM
What ^ he said - completely random. We always pack ziplock bags to put electronics (phones/ipods), keys, and wallets in to keep dry.

We also have been known to make it the last ride of the day before leaving that park to go back to the room for a nap before heading out for the evening Disney romp.

PopPhan
03-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Plan on having a wall of water come crashing over your head. That is worst case scenario. Yes, a poncho helps some, but your legs and feet will probably still get wet. The thing that you do not count on - for or against - are people on the water cannons shooting at you!!

I have been in the "wall of water" seat and got soaked and I have been directly across from that seat and took nothing more than a few drops.

Plan on the worst, hope for the best.

snowflakegirl
03-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Echoing what's been said already. The degree of wetness is completely variable. The last time I went on it I got fairly wet and others were nearly dry. One trip my father got so drenched he ended up having to buy a change of clothes in order to be comfortable the rest of the day while the rest of us were no more than a little damp.

StuckinOz
03-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Getting wet is part of the fun. Highly recommend nylon shorts and flip flops for this one though. :thumbsup:

sisterslovindisney
03-22-2015, 01:01 PM
We try to do Kali right before we are ready to leave for the day. I am pretty much always the "wall of water" recipient! Love it though!! Word of warning, don't wear white or khaki ;)

Pirate Granny
03-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Yes I was the crazy woman a few years back that was drying my underwear (had my shirt and shorts on) in the bathroom...I will be bringing flip flops and a change of clothes (or better yet a bathing suit with shirt) for my grandchildren and send their Aunt with them...I will be at the cannons...:blush: love the ride, hate the wet, even with a poncho on....nothing worse than hours later still walking around with wet underwear.

why4k
03-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Definitely the last ride of the day.

DizneyFreak2002
03-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Random yes, but now when I ride... I always get soaked...

JerseyDad
03-22-2015, 07:52 PM
...there's a sign at the entrance point of the ride that says, "You WILL get wet".

....so ...I think there's a 90% chance of total soakage and soggy shorts.

MargaretMessler
03-22-2015, 08:25 PM
It all depends on the rotation of the raft, which side is faced which way when, etc. A poncho will help some, if it's a longer one you can tuck under you, maybe a little more. Make sure you keep your feet up, that will help a little. Bring a plastic bag for your phone, camera, etc. Or use lockers

#1donaldfan
03-23-2015, 05:44 PM
The ponchos do help some, but you will still get wet with one on. :mickey:

azcavalier
03-23-2015, 05:58 PM
I usually wear quick-dry fabrics to this park, closed toe sandals, and yes....ponchos do help. Usually when I do this, even if I get wet, I dry out pretty quick.

And we also save this for the last ride of the day.

manutd1
03-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Thats the best part of this ride....not knowing how wet one will get!! I love watching people "surprised" they got wet after riding......DUH!! Its a raft ride...theme parks have had them since the eighties!!! You will probably get really wet!!:mickey: But, some still seem like they didn't expect it.....:confused:

WDWdriver
03-23-2015, 06:40 PM
And don't bother to ask the CMs which seat is the "wet seat". We don't know. The rafts tend to rotate a bit along the ride path, so we can't predict which seats will get soaked.

magicofdisney
03-23-2015, 07:14 PM
On one exceptionally thrilling ride I took :unsure: my poncho inexplicably trapped the water...

I was drenched. I HATE getting wet but my Mom really, really, really wanted me to ride with her. I still love her.

SBETigg
03-23-2015, 08:02 PM
I always try to keep my feet up on the rails around the hub in the center. At least, it helps keep my feet a little dry aka not as soaked. We count on getting wet, but one time we actually got off and bought towels and a new outfit for my daughter, who was too wet to even be comfortable on the way out of the park. Will you get that wet? It's a possibility. We usually don't ride it anymore because it's not long enough to make up for getting that wet, but it is fun and I would try it at least once. Ponchos can help but not always. If that wall of water comes down, the water finds a way in.

azcavalier
03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
There are a couple of ride-through videos available on YouTube, including a couple that I put up there. You should go check them out.

Maddie
03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
I have gotten SOAKED before. completely drenched clothes and soggy sneakers! I generally stay away unless it is VERY hot out.

joonyer
03-24-2015, 12:06 PM
The rafts slowly turn and spin around as you travel down the river, but once you get on the short conveyor that lifts the rafts up and over the big drop near the end, the raft will stop turning. Everyone who ends up on the downhill side of the raft as it does down the slide is pretty much guaranteed to get drenched and soaked to the skin. It's kinda like a roulette wheel to see who will be lucky (or not) when you get to the big drop. Fun! fun! fun!

If you don't think you can stand getting soaked, then you probably shouldn't ride this one. you've got about only about a 50% chance of staying relatively dry.

Stu29573
03-25-2015, 10:30 AM
There are also water cannons that shoot straight up from the bottom at some points. Although these are turned down (or off) in cooler weather, they can really drench you when they are going full blast...and they are pretty much unpredictable...

Stu29573
03-25-2015, 10:32 AM
BTW, I love this ride! Of course, I'm kinda weird in that I get upset if I DON'T get drenched! lol

Speedy1998
03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
To quote the signs before you get on the ride "You will get wet, You might get soaked"

If I do it, I do it as the last ride of the day.

allie_to_you
03-27-2015, 04:18 PM
It varies...I have ridden it a few times where I only got slightly splashed and others (like in January) where I came away completely drenched.

I would either take a change of clothes or wear a poncho if you don't want to be wet because more often than not, you'll end up getting soaked :)