PDA

View Full Version : Some observations--MDE, FP+, state of the parks in general

MNNHFLTX
03-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Or perceptions, rather, after our three day visit to WDW earlier this week.

MDE--I found that I liked much of what Disney has integrated into this experience. The app worked well and the Magic Bands were very convenient for all that they were intended for, from unlocking the door to our hotel room to park admission to purchasing items in the gift shop. In fact, I liked the bands a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm sure Disney appreciated how much money we spent on food, drink and souvenirs using them!

FP+--On the other hand, I disliked this feature even more than I thought I would. Working around FP times made nearly two months in advance was inconvenient, to say the least. And while I was able to switch some times around (the day before) for rides such as Space Mountain and Big Thunder, I was unable to do this with Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride. Adding on FP's after using up the first three every day also seemed pointless to me, since the only FP's available were on rides/attractions with shorter lines anyway. Things get more complicated if the ride is down during your FP time. If this happens, they will extend the return time to closing on the same day, but if you had plans to park hop or leave the park before the ride was back up you lose out on the FP or the ability to make additional FP selections at a different park. If Disney made it possible to reserve the original three FP's for more than one park on any given day, I would like it marginally more.

I do want to add that we thought all the parks/attractions in general were in good condition. It seems they have been busy sprucing things up and, of course, there are the on-going refurbishments/projects. I didn't really care for the look of the expanded square in front of the castle--too wide open and very little shade. But it did help relieve congestion during the fireworks.

Maleficent's Dad
03-20-2015, 04:38 PM
MDE--I found that I liked much of what Disney has integrated into this experience. The app worked well and the Magic Bands were very convenient for all that they were intended for, from unlocking the door to our hotel room to park admission to purchasing items in the gift shop. In fact, I liked the bands a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm sure Disney appreciated how much money we spent on food, drink and souvenirs using them!
I'm glad it worked well for you - I've always found the app to be excruciatingly slow. The wifi in the parks doesn't help matters. As for the bands, you seem to have gotten very lucky!!! We've never had the bands work 100% correctly. We always have at least one band that can't open our door!

FP+--On the other hand, I disliked this feature even more than I thought I would. Working around FP times made nearly two months in advance was inconvenient, to say the least...
Things get more complicated if the ride is down during your FP time. If this happens, they will extend the return time to closing on the same day, but if you had plans to park hop or leave the park before the ride was back up you lose out on the FP or the ability to make additional FP selections at a different park. If Disney made it possible to reserve the original three FP's for more than one park on any given day, I would like it marginally more.
Yes - I concur with your thoughts on FP+
While we're not park commandos any longer (our teens are), it's not always convenient to be so tied into a FP+ time. But I know the system is here to stay, so I make the best of it.

We were there President's Week - a very busy time - and I'll agree that the parks & resorts (Boardwalk area) were in great shape. The loads of construction being done these past 2+ years will hopefully pay big dividends in guest enjoyment!