PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to a Comic Con?

TheVBs
03-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Not THE Comic Con, but has anyone ever been to the (hopefully) smaller ones in other cities? Right now this is just an idea running through my head, no real plans have been made (it's not likely to work out this year anyway). But, I noticed that David Tennant and Billie Piper are going to be at one in Philly. Our 10 year old is a HUGE Doctor Who fan and would love to see them. However, I don't really know if a 10 year old can reasonably enjoy one of these things, even knowing ahead of time that she may get 10 seconds to say hi, at the most. I've never been to one and just don't know how they work, or what things are like. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BrerGnat
03-18-2015, 08:04 AM
I have not personally but my husband has, kind of. He went to Star Wars Celebration V in Orlando a couple years ago. He loved it. But, he said although there were kids there, our kids would have hated it.

Have you ever been inside a convention center for any kind of floor show? They are very loud, crowded, and there is just tons of stuff going on in every direction. It's basically chaos. Some kids don't handle that kind of environment too well. There are no places to sit down and you spend a lot of time on your feet.

If your daughter is really a huge fan, though, one of these smaller Cons will be a good way to step into that type of event. You should discuss what it will be like and if she is cool with it, give it a shot. You can always leave and find something else to do in the area since it is a large city.

Kairi_7378
03-18-2015, 07:22 PM
My husband and brother have been to the Philly Comic Con (which used to be called Wizard World) at least 8 times, and the New York version once. Last year, they took my son, who at the time was 5. There was a promotion that kids under 10 got in for free with a paying adult.

Like Natalie said, it can be very loud at these conventions. My husband made sure to talk to my son about the etiquette of visiting booths (don't touch things, etc.). After a few Disney trips, my son is pretty good about walking around for a long period of time. They made sure to have a plan in place for lunch and had a great time. My son wants to go back this year.

As far as the special guests, we have never paid extra or stood in line to meet with them. There is plenty of other stuff going on that doesn't require standing in a huge line. Sometimes the celebreties spend some time on the floor or on stage so that they can be seen a few times. My son is a huge Dr. Who fan (although Matt Smith is his favorite doctor) and I think he will be happy enough wandering around all of the people dressed up in their creative costumes and t shirts.

TheVBs
03-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I know she'd be fine with the noise and the crowds. It's no fun standing in a long line, but she can do it. I think my biggest worry is that she'll be disappointed with the amount of time she gets to greet the guests. Although, I didn't think about how much else there will be to see, especially people in costumes. She would love that! Well, like I said, no way to make any real plans for this right now. But it's nice to put some thought into it and get some feedback. Thanks again!

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Always wanted to go, but never fast enough to buy tickets for the Comic Con in NYC... I think I already missed out on this year's tickets for October.. AGH...

TheVBs
04-02-2015, 07:07 AM
If you do make it I would love to hear about it!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
I have not, but my DD's bucket list includes a trip to a Star Trek/Sci-Fi Con. There is one near us in Raleigh NC, but she's flat broke and a college student.