PDA

View Full Version : British Exchange trip

Jeri Lynn
03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
hi everyone,
My niece is going to England with the British Exchange club at school. I'd like to give her some spending money but I am wondering g if it would be better to give her cash or a prepaid visa or American Express card.

TIA!!

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2015, 12:05 AM
I would go for the prepaid Visa gift card. Cash would require exchanging for British Pounds and AMEX cards (and gift cards) are not widely accepted in the U.K.

Mickey'sGirl
03-17-2015, 10:03 AM
I would give her sterling. I am sure your bank could get some in if they don't normally carry it.

merciantinkerbell
03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Go with cash in Pound Sterling, as previous poster says American Express is not widely taken here and I don't know how the Visa card works exactly but over here we use the chip and pin system. The card has a chip and you need a pin number to use it. I work in retail and have had US visitors ask to use their credit/debit cards but without the chip we are not allowed to accept them. That may not be true of all shops but it is with the majority.
Hope she enjoys her time over here.

manutd1
03-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Lived in England 3 years.....Air Force.
USE CASH!!! A lot of places don't take A.E. and cash is king. It will be far easier using cash Pound vs....using a credit card....
I knew of a lot of establishments that when ask...gave discounts for cash.

manutd1
03-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Go with cash in Pound Sterling, as previous poster says American Express is not widely taken here and I don't know how the Visa card works exactly but over here we use the chip and pin system. The card has a chip and you need a pin number to use it. I work in retail and have had US visitors ask to use their credit/debit cards but without the chip we are not allowed to accept them. That may not be true of all shops but it is with the majority.
Hope she enjoys her time over here.
Yep...:thumbsup: