PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer's hat

nicholsbears
03-01-2015, 12:49 PM
:mickey:
The Sorcerer's hat was the unofficial symbol of Studios. What will it be now ?

DizneyFreak2002
03-01-2015, 01:25 PM
The original icon of the park: the Earful Tower...

texas211
03-01-2015, 01:36 PM
It's going to be Olaf.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-01-2015, 04:58 PM
It's going to be Olaf.

:funny::rotfl:

Altair
03-01-2015, 06:14 PM
The original icon of the park: the Earful Tower...

Has anyone here had their photo taken in front of this? It's the black sheep of the icon family. :(

DizneyFreak2002
03-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Has anyone here had their photo taken in front of this? It's the black sheep of the icon family. :(
You don't define the park icon by whether you can take your picture in front of it or not... And if you are standing in the right spot, yes, you can take your picture with the tower behind you...

crazygoalie39
03-01-2015, 06:45 PM
You don't define the park icon by whether you can take your picture in front of it or not... And if you are standing in the right spot, yes, you can take your picture with the tower behind you...

You kind of do though, as it should be the prominent thing in the middle of the park like all of the others. Also, the icon should not be a water tower...

DizneyFreak2002
03-01-2015, 07:00 PM
You kind of do though, as it should be the prominent thing in the middle of the park like all of the others. Also, the icon should not be a water tower...
So Space Mountain should be the icon of MK too then since I can stand in front of it and get my picture taken with it in the background... Or heck, Splash Mountain too... Hey let's make Everest the icon of DAK since we can have our picture taken in front of that too...

You are confusing weenie with icon... The weenie is in the middle of the park, or land, pulling you closer to it... Doesn't mean a weenie has to be the icon... or the icon has to be a weenie...

joonyer
03-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Although the Earffel Tower may be the official park icon, most guests do not identify with it in the way they do with Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life and especially Cinderella's Castle, primarily I think because you can't even see the water tower unless you are in the Backlot section of the park. It's difficult to think of it as the park's symbol, when it's not visible while you are in the park.

crazygoalie39
03-01-2015, 10:37 PM
So Space Mountain should be the icon of MK too then since I can stand in front of it and get my picture taken with it in the background... Or heck, Splash Mountain too... Hey let's make Everest the icon of DAK since we can have our picture taken in front of that too...

You are confusing weenie with icon... The weenie is in the middle of the park, or land, pulling you closer to it... Doesn't mean a weenie has to be the icon... or the icon has to be a weenie...

Not sure why you're being intentionally rude. You obviously know what I meant and I'm pretty sure everyone uses those interchangeably. I was saying that being able to easily take a picture with it is a requirement, but obviously not the only one.

nicholsbears
03-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Maybe Tower of Terror; that's a pretty imposing landmark.
I like the dialog this question has produced.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
03-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Maybe Tower of Terror; that's a pretty imposing landmark.
I like the dialog this question has produced.

I've noticed that on the website, certain areas anyway, that where you once would see the sorcerer's hat icon, you now see the ToT icon.

Until they get the Deathstar built, looks like ToT will be the icon.

I just don't see the Earful Tower as the park's icon. I don't know that its a requirement, but the other three parks,I believe the park's were designed around and with the official icon in mind. The Earful Tower seemed to be more of an after thought.

DizneyFreak2002
03-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Not sure why you're being intentionally rude. You obviously know what I meant and I'm pretty sure everyone uses those interchangeably. I was saying that being able to easily take a picture with it is a requirement, but obviously not the only one.
Who s being rude? I pointed out the flaw in your argument.. because your argument and reasoning was flawed, and that flaw was brought to light, the person bringing it to light isn't being rude... There are literally hundreds of things which you can get your picture taken in front of in WDW, does not make them icons...

So no, it is not a requirement... The only requirement is, what can Disney market on merchandise... That's it... No other theme parks have "icons" cause they don't matter as much... Only for marketing purposes...

DizneyFreak2002
03-02-2015, 10:46 AM
The Earful Tower is on all the merchandise as the icon... That's why I said earlier they seem to be using both, but the Earful Tower is leading the way so far...

And the water tower makes perfect sense... People wonder why, cause Disney has lead you to believe "icons' should be the center piece of the park, should be huge, should be readily available to have a picture taken in front of it... Again, that's not whan the "icon" is... The icon is the symbol of the park... Why a water tower? Because, water towers were often a symbol and a major park of movie studios in Hollywood... They were erected on site in case of fires.. One of the studios which had such a water tower? Walt Disney Studios...

Earful Tower makes sense as the symbol of Hollywood Studios... Once the name is changed, and the direction of the park is made aware, who knows what they will start using... But Earful Tower makes perfect sense...

baldburke
03-02-2015, 12:18 PM
The Earful But Earful Tower makes perfect sense...

I agree with DizneyFreak2002, just because the landmark isn't front and center in the park doesn't mean it can't be the icon. It makes perfect sense for me as it emotes the feeling of old Hollywood. More so than ToT conveying the whole feeling of the park.

Aurora
03-02-2015, 07:18 PM
...just because the landmark isn't front and center in the park doesn't mean it can't be the icon.

It doesn't HAVE to be, but it is for the three other parks. It's interesting that no one has mentioned the Chinese theater as the park's icon, even though it's at the center. Here's a couple of quotes from The Imagineering Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios: "It stands to reason that at the end of this Park's Main Street, one would find this Park's castle. If Hollywood has a castle, it's the Chinese Theater... The team [Imagineers] generated detailed drawings and paintings to lead the fabrication effort that would bring to life this cherished icon in all of its opening-night glory."

If we're following Disney tradition, the icons in the parks worldwide are unique to that park and are easily recognizable, represent the overall identity of the park, and make a grand design statement. With these in mind, the TOT comes close but isn't unique (it's also on the West Coast). To me, The Earful Tower is a sad icon, maybe representing a park that's still struggling for an identity.

nicholsbears
03-02-2015, 08:48 PM

I never knew that was it's name. Does anyone else remember they used to put a huge Santa hat on the water tower at Christmas ? Wonder why they don't do that anymore ?

texas211
03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
How about just a skyline of the main street.. like they do for the Small World pins, or kinda like DCA's logo.

azcavalier
03-03-2015, 11:27 AM
The Earful Tower is on all the merchandise as the icon... That's why I said earlier they seem to be using both, but the Earful Tower is leading the way so far...

And the water tower makes perfect sense... People wonder why, cause Disney has lead you to believe "icons' should be the center piece of the park, should be huge, should be readily available to have a picture taken in front of it... Again, that's not whan the "icon" is... The icon is the symbol of the park... Why a water tower? Because, water towers were often a symbol and a major park of movie studios in Hollywood... They were erected on site in case of fires.. One of the studios which had such a water tower? Walt Disney Studios...

Earful Tower makes sense as the symbol of Hollywood Studios... Once the name is changed, and the direction of the park is made aware, who knows what they will start using... But Earful Tower makes perfect sense...

AND it was the symbol *before* the Sorcerer's Hat. Just going back to the park's roots. I think it makes sense. But I get the disconnect. Every other park's symbol is *also* that park's weenie. But the weenie at DHS just isn't as big and visible as the other three. Symbolically, the water tower makes perfect sense. But I get the disagreement.

Melanie
03-03-2015, 12:17 PM
AND it was the symbol *before* the Sorcerer's Hat. Just going back to the park's roots. I think it makes sense. But I get the disconnect. Every other park's symbol is *also* that park's weenie. But the weenie at DHS just isn't as big and visible as the other three. Symbolically, the water tower makes perfect sense. But I get the disagreement.

Exactly, and I can also see why folks who maybe didn't go to WDW during the early years of MGM wouldn't connect to it as much. I kinda like the reconnection of the early icon, but understand, and am okay with, there possibly being a change in the near future.

DizneyFreak2002
03-03-2015, 12:27 PM
And remember, this can strictly be temporary... We really don't know the true specifics of the park's make over... We have rumors, chirping, fanboy talk... But nothing solid or concrete from Disney (and even then, we cannot trust their word as many times their words meant nothing with the final product)...

cer
03-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Off topic (sort of) but what about DCA? I don't think that park has a weenie, does it?

What is its icon? The fun wheel?

DizneyFreak2002
03-03-2015, 03:00 PM
In DCA, I would consider ToT, Grizzly Gulch/Grizzly Peak (the Grizzly Bear rock work), the Cars Land rock work, and the fun wheel weenies... also Carthay Circle...

As for the icon, I'm not sure anymore... Past icons included Grizzly Peak rock work formation... The used the Sun Icon which was in Sunshine Plaza... But now? No idea... I've seen Carthay Circle restaurant building branded as the park logo/icon, but not sure if it is official.. I'm talking the spire not the restaurant itself...