PDA

View Full Version : Difference between disney buses and driving

cfoshe
02-28-2015, 10:06 PM
We are looking at going again in late July 2015. We have only used disney transportation, but will have our 4 year old grandchild with us and do not want to have hold him sleeping on the bus after the park.
For those who have used both disney transportation and driving a car to the parks. What is the pros and cons for each. Which do you prefer? At the end of the night is it faster to wait on the bus with everyone leaving or waiting on the tram to go to find your car? Last one, what is the furthest they drop you from your car in the parking lot?

manutd1
02-28-2015, 10:12 PM
To me...there are no cons to driving.
First of all, i love to use disney transportation.
Its easy, free and we do it evert time........except when we drive to wdw. (which is rare) but, the last time we dove 2012...we drove to the parks everyday. There were no issues at all. I think the roads are CLEARLY marked as to where you want to go and in a way...with kids, it IS easier to just drive. As much as i like disney transport...you will have to wait a bit and if the bus is full...you may not get a seat ( i also don't think thats an issue either...i have stood happily many times..how can i complain..its free). So, If i were you and I had my car....Id drive. We just usually fly...so buses for us.:thumbsup:

cfoshe
02-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the input. We have always just used the disney buses and I always stand on the way back from the parks to let kids, women or old people to have the seat. Last time we took our grandson he was 1 and easy to hold even standing on the bus, but at 4 he is getting heavy and we will be driving down this year.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-28-2015, 10:57 PM
I am a fan of driving as much as we can at Disney. DH is a fan of the busses, so it makes for some very interesting conversations in our house.

But, he is a good husband, and we usually drive. At busy times (opening and closing) there is so comparison ... getting to your car is quick and easy (even if you have to take a tram, there is seldom a line) and you're comfortable (and cool) while heading back. No waiting in a bus line, and no risk of having to stand.

As the PP said, roads are well marked and it is easy to get around.

What sold me was the simple fact that in my car, I was only 7 minutes from POFQ to Epcot, yet I would usually wait longer than that for a bus.

The busses do a great job, but I love having my car!

MargaretMessler
03-01-2015, 03:30 AM
I used to exclusively use the buses - and occasionally still use them - but I don't mind the driving. Its well marked and much quicker. In all parks except MK, it is actually possible to just walk to your car if you so choose rather than wait on a tram. And no question quicker.

Main Street Jim
03-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Having your own vehicle allows you the freedom to go where *you* want, *when* you want, and not have to go through possibly four or five other stops at a few minutes each.

Last September was our first "real" Disney vacation (after having worked there for almost ten years), and we used the buses. It would take us an hour or more (sometimes) to get where we wanted to go. Driving your own vehicle, it shouldn't take you more than about 15 minutes.

Downside: if you have a child in a stroller, loading/unloading the stroller, folding/unfolding it for the trams can be frustrating. My suggestion for anyone with strollers driving their own car is to *leave the stroller folded up* when you get to the parking lot, because you're just going to fold it up again at the tram, especially at Magic Kingdom. At the other three parks, it *is* possible to just walk to/from your car to/from the entrance/exit at the end of the night.

yankeesfan123
03-01-2015, 09:11 AM
We drive to every park except MK. I've found it faster to just take a bus to the main gate usually. Depending on the time of day, the monorail or ferry line can be quite long from the MK parking lot.

Melanie
03-01-2015, 09:19 AM
We drive to every park except MK. I've found it faster to just take a bus to the main gate usually. Depending on the time of day, the monorail or ferry line can be quite long from the MK parking lot.

Totally agree with this, and recommend this very thing all the time. Love driving to the other 3 parks though.

eandrsmom
03-01-2015, 09:26 AM
We always drive. Even when we fly to Disney, my DH insists on renting a car. I've gotten to know the area very well, and Disney property is VERY well marked. Since you're staying onsite, parking is free. With a little one, it will be nice to have access to a grocery store if you need to get a few things.

brownie
03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Driving instead of taking a bus is the way to go. We usually regret having taking a bus when we could've driven

SandmanGStefani24
03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
we will only drive nowadays. we used the busses once, but what killed it for us was the wait to go home after the fireworks at MK. After about two hours of waiting we finally got going. Never again. Plus, there's nothing like being able to sleep in a bit knowing you can GO when you want, and stay as long as you want knowing you can LEAVE when you are ready. No standing when your legs are dead tired waiting for a bus, nothing but a nice cool and QUIET car ride home. Plus it's pretty darn quick too. You can also stop at the Hess or other stations and get a snack or drink if needed.

Scar
03-01-2015, 02:52 PM
I can't stand the buses. I would usually pay more to stay at an Epcot resort just so I didn't have to use them much. The first time we stayed at Pop, no car. Second time, I rented one for the whole week just so I didn't have to rely on the buses.

magicofdisney
03-01-2015, 02:59 PM

Totally agree with this, and recommend this very thing all the time. Love driving to the other 3 parks though.

I'll completely agree with these two. When driving to MK you may have to take the tram to the Transportation and Ticket Center. From there you must take the monorail or ferry over to the park. This can add up to well over an hour from the time you park to the time you arrive at the MK gates. We always have a vehicle but we always bus to MK.

Cass&KenziesMom
03-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I'll completely agree with these two. When driving to MK you may have to take the tram to the Transportation and Ticket Center. From there you must take the monorail or ferry over to the park. This can add up to well over an hour from the time you park to the time you arrive at the MK gates. We always have a vehicle but we always bus to MK.

Actually not true. You can also take a bus from TTC to MK. We did this last time we went (which was the week after Christmas). It was much faster jumping on a bus than waiting for the monorail or ferry. But to answer the original question we drive. We no longer stay on property to be able to use the busses but we have before and we definitely prefer driving.

MizMissy
03-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I get "car" sickness when riding public transportation (bus, monorail, boat) so driving is the best option for us. Also, my husband is a control freak and impatient, so Disney transportation is too much for him to handle. On our last trip, we stayed at the Contemporary. That way, we could walk to the MK (the only park that requires you to use some form of transportation from the parking lot) and drive to the other parks and restaurants.

Anthony007
03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Always used the busses.......does it not cost something to park at the parks?

mamatedd
03-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Always used the busses.......does it not cost something to park at the parks?

Yes. It costs $17/ day (that I can remember), but if you stay onsite, you get a parking pass for the duration of your stay. :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Another "plus" for driving your own vehicle:

It will be nice to have access to a grocery store if you need to get a few things.

You can also take a bus from TTC to MK. We did this last time we went (which was the week after Christmas). It was much faster jumping on a bus than waiting for the monorail or ferry.Since when is there a direct bus from TTC to MK...? I know there's buses from TTC to the other three parks and back, but to MK...?

We no longer stay on property to be able to use the buses, but we have before and we definitely prefer driving.You don't have to "stay on property" to use Disney transportation. For example, if you have a dining reservation at a resort, you can use the bus from the park to your resort of choice.

Another coupla tricks for leaving MK at the end of the night?

1) If you've parked your own vehicle at the TTC, take the *resort* monorail from MK to TTC. *MUCH* quicker than waiting on the "Express" side at the end of the night. It's the second stop on the Resort side.

2) Instead of waiting an hour or more on a resort bus *at* the MK bus stop, *walk* over to the Contemporary, and take a bus to the nearest theme park or Downtown Disney, then *your* resort bus from there.

ANG
03-01-2015, 04:43 PM
We usually stay at a resort with at least one park to use either the monorail or walking. We always drive to AK. And usually to HS to leave at our own time from Fantasmic. We have 3 kids and strollers and we loathe folding them for buses.

Cass&KenziesMom
03-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Jim we were there from Dec. 26th-31st and every day we did MK we took a bus from the TTC to MK. Instead of turning left for the ferry or going straight for the monorail we hooked a right and there were busses taking people to MK. The CMs acted as if it were a regular thing.

magicofdisney
03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Jim we were there from Dec. 26th-31st and every day we did MK we took a bus from the TTC to MK. Instead of turning left for the ferry or going straight for the monorail we hooked a right and there were busses taking people to MK. The CMs acted as if it were a regular thing.

If you're ultimately going to end up at MK via bus, you might as well take it from your resort, assuming you're staying on property (which it sounds like the OP is doing.)

Cass&KenziesMom
03-02-2015, 10:06 AM
If you're ultimately going to end up at MK via bus, you might as well take it from your resort, assuming you're staying on property (which it sounds like the OP is doing.)

Well if you want to stand in line and wait for a bus versus just jumping in your car while everyone is still waiting on a bus then that's fine. To each their own. It's just a suggestion like everyone else is making.

AgentC
03-02-2015, 10:47 AM

Unless it is something new, they don' t always run buses from the TTC to MK. They tend to do it when it is a high volume time of year or when there are monorail issues. It's probably worth checking with cast members to see if it is available the day you are visting.

I do agree with everyone who said they prefer to take their car with MK being the only exception. Almost every time it has been easier for us with the car especially when our children were still in strollers.

hope2survive
03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
I've tried all combinations of driving and using only Disney transportation. I've driven to WDW in my own car (from PA), taken the Auto Train with my own care, and rented a car. And I've done trips in which no car and only rely on Disney transportation.

I have to say - I prefer having a car at WDW and driving to taking the Disney transportation. Number of factors play into that. One, I take a bus to work every day and so, for me, taking a bus on vacation does not feel like vacation. Two, I'm with you, I almost always have to wait on buses and almost always have to stand. Which gets annoying after a while, even if it is free. It is worse with young kids who are exhausted. Driving may still take a while sometimes but it feels more under your control and once you get kids in car, they can fall asleep in car.

You can have to wait for a tram, but I've never waiting for a parking lot tram as long as I've waited for a bus. And if you show up at a park late in the day after a nap at home, you can often get a parking space in walking distance of the entrance.

Little tip - i have purchased tickets from AAA just to get the AAA Diamond Parking pass which allows you to park closer to entrance. IMHO, not worth it. The tram is less walking anyway and more convenient.

Also - hate taking strollers and diaper bags and all that on and off the bus. Much easier to get it to your car.

Also can run to grocery store off site, easy to get to DD, can do other things off site like Univeral or Medevil Times.

Now, Ive been by myself and just me and my 20 year old son, and we'll definatley save the money on car rental for adults.

magicofdisney
03-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Well if you want to stand in line and wait for a bus versus just jumping in your car while everyone is still waiting on a bus then that's fine. To each their own. It's just a suggestion like everyone else is making.

I agree we're all making suggestions. I'm just not sure how much time you save driving to MK parking lot, tramming to TTC and then jumping on a bus (which may or may not be ready) that must drive over to where the resort bus ends up anyway. That just my way of looking at it.

Being off site, I'd definitely consider this option if the bus were there waiting.

azcavalier
03-03-2015, 11:11 AM
So, obviously most people agree that driving to the parks is the quickest and best way to go, and I agree. MK is just a hassle, period (unless you're staying at the Contemporary, which is fantastic). Either you take the bus, and wait for long lines at the end of the day, or you park at the TTC and wait in long lines for the monorail or ferry. We usually do the latter....it's still fun to ride some form of Disney transportation. But still, if you're staying on property so many plusses to just driving yourself:

1. Parking is free
2. Timing is better....it's all YOUR schedule
3. No lines!
4. It's just faster - we were converted the time we stayed for Illuminations: Reflections of Earth and we walked to our car, drove back to POR, and put our kids to bed....and only 20 minutes had passed since we got out of the park. We would still have been waiting for a bus had we relied on Disney transportation.

One more thing i'll throw out there that we love about driving that you can't do if you rely on Disney transportation....we keep a cooler in the car filled with ice and drinks. After a hot day in the parks, we *love* walking back to the car and popping open a few cold sodas (or waters, whatever) for the drive back to the hotel. It's a great way to start to unwind. It has become part of our tradition on our WDW vacations.

Maddie
03-03-2015, 01:23 PM
We love having a car because you can also drive to other resorts for dinner etc. We find that you are on your own schedule more with a car, no waiting for buses. Biggest con to driving: at MK you have to park far and then take the ferry or monorail.

buzznwoodysmom
03-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Well I am definitely in the minority here. We always have our car since we always drive to WDW from home. However, once we arrive the car pretty much stays parked for the entire trip. We just like letting Disney do the driving. We are never in such a hurry that the time saved driving is worth it to us. On occasion we have called a cab to get us from our resort to another resort for dinner, even tho our car is in the parking lot. I guess we just don't like to drive on vacation. LOL.

We do enjoy when we stay at resorts with other modes of transportation other than bus only. We love taking the boat to MK or to Contemporary for dinner around the monorail when we stay at WL. We love walking or boating to Epcot and DHS when we stay in the Epcot area. However, even when we stay at a moderate, we bus to all the parks.

The only exception is Downtown Disney. We always drive there. But to be honest there is no quick and easy way to get there. Driving gets you there quick, but parking can be a nightmare. However, every time we took a bus to DTD we said "never again". It always seems to take a really long time for some reason.

Main Street Jim
03-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Jim we were there from Dec. 26th-31st and every day we did MK we took a bus from the TTC to MK. Instead of turning left for the ferry or going straight for the monorail we hooked a right and there were buses taking people to MK. The CMs acted as if it were a regular thing.

Unless it is something new, they don' t always run buses from the TTC to MK. They tend to do it when it is a high volume time of year or when there are monorail issues. It's probably worth checking with cast members to see if it is available the day you are visiting. This.

It's only gotta be during high-volume periods like Christmas/New Year's week and 4th of July weekend.

This was never a "regular" thing...

VWL Mom
03-03-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised at how many people drive, I just never realized. We primarily rely on Disney transportation with an occasional cab thrown in the mix and don't usually have an issue. Granted we normally just go to the parks for a few hours a day and don't stay to closing. While on vacation we enjoy having a nice bottle or wine with dinner or stopping at one of the lounges for a cocktail and don't want to have to worry about driving.

tjstrike
03-03-2015, 10:58 PM
I'm in the minority too because I would 100% take the bus over driving any day. When we get to Disney we don't get in our car again unless it's to make a grocery run. It might be a different story when staying at the value resorts (I've seen those ridiculous lines at the end of the day), but staying at a DVC resort the buses are the way to go. :thumbsup:

TheVBs
03-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Jumping in with the minority here too. We always have our car, because we drive to WDW. But, a large part of the appeal to stay on site is that those keys get put away and we don't have to think about driving, directions, parking, etc. until we are on our way home again.

joonyer
03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
We always drive to WDW (just 5 hours from home) and so we always have a car there. We find we use the car sometimes (real early breakfast ADR's in a park, etc.) but we find that riding the bus is usually just more convenient. If every minute of your day is critical to you at WDW, you can probably shave a few minutes of extra time out of driving, but I think hopping on the bus is just more convenient for us, especially going to from MK. There, the bus stop is so much closer to the gate than the parking lot. But is also depends on which resort you are staying at. The wait for value resorts buses at park closing can be long. We stayed at POFQ this past Christmas week though, and never had to wait more than 5 minutes to catch a bus when leaving the park. It takes mush longer than that to get from the MK gate all the way out to the parking lot. But if you have little kids and strollers, etc. it may be convenient for you to drive.

Speedy1998
03-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Pros: As others have said, if you drive your car (with the possible exception of MK) it is much faster than taking the Bus.

Cons: Getting from the TTC to MK can be fustrating slow at certain times of day, or in certain weather. On my last trip we had a horribly long wait for the monorail because it was foggy and the ferries could not operate in heavy fog. I was told that for safety reasons they do not operate when they can not see the dock on the other side of the lake.

Speedy1998
03-04-2015, 01:04 PM
This.

It's only gotta be during high-volume periods like Christmas/New Year's week and 4th of July weekend.

This was never a "regular" thing...

I have seen it twice. The first time the monorail was temporarily closed (the train broke at the TTC station, it is the only time I have seen the tow vehicle in person), the second time the ferries were not operating because of fog.

Eric87
03-07-2015, 08:10 AM
From 03-12, we always used Disney transportation. It had its ups and downs, but as you mentioned carrying the child on the bus can get pretty intense especially on the long trips. Our last two trips down we rented a car and drove down, so we had a vehicle the entire time. It was nice to leave the Disney bubble to do some grocery shopping. As others have mentioned folding strollers for the bus/trams is a real pain. My wife and daughter would usually take the trams and I would just keep my son in the stroller and walk to the parks/car to prevent multiple foldings. I have no complaints about the bus system, and I have waited through crowded nights and mornings, but it's a perk that comes with your package. With that being said, until my kids are 8-10 range, I will probably keep driving to and from the parks. It's just easier at the end of the night. Even to MK. Why would you want to skip the monorail/ferry anyways? It just adds to the experience.

Main Street Jim
03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Cons: Getting from the TTC to MK can be fustrating slow at certain times of day, or in certain weather. On my last trip we had a horribly long wait for the monorail because it was foggy and the ferries could not operate in heavy fog. I was told that for safety reasons they do not operate when they can not see the dock on the other side of the lake.Well, like I said, you can always take the *Resort* side monorail, and get off at TTC (second stop), or, walk over - 5 minutes, *maybe* - to the Contemporary, catch the 'Rail, and get off at the next stop (TTC)...

magicofdisney
03-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Well, like I said, you can always take the *Resort* side monorail, and get off at TTC (second stop), or, walk over - 5 minutes, *maybe* - to the Contemporary, catch the 'Rail, and get off at the next stop (TTC)...

Except that poster is trying to travel to MK, not away. ;)

Main Street Jim
03-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Except that poster is trying to travel to MK, not away. ;)I was thinking at the end of the day/night. :)

Original post:

At the end of the night is it faster to wait on the bus with everyone leaving or waiting on the tram to go to find your car? Last one, what is the furthest they drop you from your car in the parking lot?

In the mornings, it's not *that* big a deal, if you arrive early enough. We liked to take the ferry over first thing in the morning, and then monorail back.

If you do get into the TTC parking early enough, you won't even have to take the tram - you should be parking close enough (old "Minnie" section - not sure what it is now...LOL) to walk to the Monorail/Ferry. If you get there later, you will need the trams....then Monorail/Ferry...

To answer the second question about "furthest from your car" - well, the trams use the center lanes of the parking areas, so, if you're parked at the end of one of the rows...hard to say *exactly* how far it is...trams stop in each and every parking area at least once...load/unload two areas at a time (one on each side of the tram)...

phillydan
03-09-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised at how many people drive, I just never realized. We primarily rely on Disney transportation with an occasional cab thrown in the mix and don't usually have an issue.

I definitely agree with this statement. If things are really bad, we just grab a cab. Our first trip, we rented a car and it sat unused for almost the entire week. Big waste in my opinion.

conan617
03-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Our trips prior to 2014 - we rented a car and drove everywhere. We would spend a day or two offsite (Universal, Discovery Cove etc.) and having a rental car was so convenient. Trips to a grocery store or Target were a really nice bonus. Last Sept we again spent a few days offsite, but those days were before we checked in at CSR. Once we hit WDW something just clicked in my head. I didn't' want to drive any more. I threw the rental keys on the dresser and they stayed there until it was time to go home. Something about being away from home and letting someone else worry about directions and traffic just seemed like the way to go. So this coming Sept. we are using the Magical Express for the first time and letting the all knowing bus drivers cart us around.:mickey::thumbsup:

DisneyGiant
03-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Add my family to the "bus" contingency. I love having no worries about driving around - plus we only have to take 2 buses from the Boardwalk- we walk to Epcot & boat to the Studios from the Swan/Dolphin.

One night back from the MK our very full bus broke down & we were stuck 2 mins from the Boardwalk for over 40 mins - but that clearly was an exception.

We take a cab to the Contemporary on California Grill night.

AndrewJackson
03-14-2015, 11:39 AM
I've done both. It really depends on the circumstance.

Buses are convenient, particularly at AK and HS, where they drop you much closer to the front than you can park.

We typically would take the bus I'd we were planning inspectors ding the entire day at the park. However, if we planned on taking a mid day break at the resort, we would drive. If you plan on taking a 3-4 hour break your resort, you could easily waste as much as 90 minutes round trip getting to the resort and back to the park. There have been times when it has take as much as 1 hour just to get back to the resort.

With FP+, we now find ourselves going to the parks each day, but only staying for 4-5 hours. Because of this, we now drive to all the parks, except for MK.

Christine
03-14-2015, 12:05 PM

This!! :number1:

LVT
03-15-2015, 09:21 AM
We drive a ways so we tend to bus once arrived.
The exceptions are target for snacks and the water parks, 'cause I get cold on the bus.
50 days to go:cloud9:

ck32250
02-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Wow, I am surprised that so many drive to the parks. I drive to Disney and when I arrive, I park the car and don't see it until we leave. I never even considered driving to the park. Most of the time we stay on property but I sometimes look at the option of booking an offsite hotel to save $ & typically won't if bussing is not an option. I've stayed at bonnet creek and the palace and even take the unofficial busses when staying there. I was pleased that Dolphin uses official busses.

I love the busses. It's stress free. My kids view them as another ride.

CanadianWDWFan
02-10-2016, 08:29 AM
We like to drive to the parks for the reasons like a lot of folks have said. The one park I will not drive to anymore is MK. We were stuck waiting to get on the ferry to the parking lot for over two hours on night. The monorail was just as bad. The buses just kept rolling. Sure they looked packed but the bus lines were moving where we were not.

Bass T-bone
02-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Yes, I have often heard that you should take the bus everywhere except the MK.

marlyn
02-10-2016, 01:56 PM
I usually use busses only, however I am renting a car this summer. We like to hop from theme park to water park and then back to theme park. We also like to resort hop for dining. A car will just make this so much easier. I also found that, other than bus to MK, it would be just faster to drive. I waited forever to go to,blizzard beach one day. I could have been floating around the lazy river for an hour by the time a bus finally showed up.

TheVBs
02-10-2016, 05:12 PM
After driving all the way down from Michigan, DH puts the car keys in the safe and they don't come out again until we're ready to head home. I think it all comes down to what feels more like a bother to you. For us, waiting a little bit for a bus, and possibly standing is more appealing than driving back and forth. Just personal preference.

Cass&KenziesMom
02-11-2016, 06:21 PM
For us it depends on the situation. If we're staying on property we mostly take the bus unless we have specific reservations. The last time we went we stayed off property but had annual passes so we drove instead of taking whatever busses we could.

momof3+twins
02-12-2016, 03:34 PM
On our last trip, in September, we drove one night to the Magic Kingdom and stayed to close. It was a nightmare waiting for the boat, then tram just to get to the car. So, our next night at MK, we rode the bus....it was much quicker. Now, with a sleeping kid....you might have to stand or wait for the next bus.
This is how we handle the car/bus:
1. We use the bus every morning.
2. We use the the car every night except Magic Kingdom.

The biggest con to the car is getting lost....yes there are signs...but still.
The pros for car are: Avoiding night time busses (except Magic Kingdom) and being able to take your mugs on the ride without having to carry them in the parks.

The biggest con to the busses is waiting for them.
The biggest pro is Magic Kingdom.

When are kids were little...we had 3 sleeping at one time....people helped with strollers and other items. I don't know how my husband carried two sleeping kids but he did.

MrPeetrie
02-12-2016, 06:57 PM
I think length of stay may play a part in some decisions. For us lately, we've been taking longer stays, which means eight pieces of checked luggage, plus purses and carry-ons. We have been using a service to ride us to-and-from our home airport, as well as Magical Express once in Orlando simply because we don't want to lug that much luggage around.

On our last trip, however, we've kind of decided for a shorter next trip (if we return) and we want to once again start using a rental when we land. Before we had children, DW & I would rent a car, zip over the beeline to I-4 to Disney in minutes, and drive off property on occasion. Since we've had children, however, it's been Disney transportation all the way. We lost so much time on our last trip, traveling from one destination to another, that at the trip's end, DW said, "Let's rent a car next trip."

We will see how that goes!

Genie1953
02-12-2016, 07:50 PM
I guess we are in the minority! We always take the buses...or boat....would never drive!

BrerGnat
02-12-2016, 10:10 PM
I guess we are in the minority! We always take the buses...or boat....would never drive!

I'm with you. I drove to Epcot once from WL and it took a lot longer than I expected. And then I had to get in a hot car at the end of the day. Yuck. I prefer the buses.

MouseHouser
03-11-2016, 01:18 PM
I agree that at the end of Wishes or Illuminations, the wait for the buses is too long and not worth it. We're too tired at that point.

Also, I love the feeling of quiet and comfort upon getting into the car after a long day at the parks. At that point, I feel like the standing, waiting, commotion are over, and I'm as good as home.

Sylvia
03-11-2016, 04:34 PM

You're not in the minority. We always use Disney transport, such as buses, ferries, monorail, etc.

Also, even though it may not seen the case, many visitors do not drive. Why else would the buses be so busy at park closing? We'll be at our favorite bus stops in approx 30 days. See you then :) :)

ck32250
03-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Since I pulled this thread out of last year I thought I'd report back on my recent experience. I've always been one to strictly use the bus, but thought I'd try driving to parks on this last trip.

Arrived about 4:00pm to HS- parked right up front, it worked out great.

The next day arrived at MK at 4:00pm and it was a nightmare, it had been 15 years since I drove to MK and this time might be my last time.

The next day drove to Epcot for F&G, arrived at 10:00 am worked great, parked close enough to the front to walk.

All things considered, we will stick to Disney transport in the future unless we are driving straight to or leaving straight home from a park.

Each day I'd consider a 10/10 for how crowded it was. On a side note flower and garden was amazing- wish we did 2 days there.

joonyer
03-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Yeah, at MK, with the bus stops there so close to the gates, and the parking lots so far away that easily make the buses the best bet for going to MK. The other parks are OK for driving yourself, especially if you time it right coming and going.

brownie
03-14-2016, 02:39 PM

It is, they'll actually direct you away from the monorail and over to the buses.

Giggy
03-27-2016, 10:33 AM
We have stayed off site so far so we tend to drive, the purple road signs have become iconic for us. We once took a bus but having just asked around we can't remember why, might have been one of the water parks? River Country maybe? Is there a reason we would be bussing there?

If you take the bus would you bypass the Monorail/Ferry at Magic Kingdom? As again those are part of the magic for me, like the first ride of the vacation.

Admittedly the car may only seem hassle-free for me because my Dad has always done the driving. If it were down to me to do the driving there's a good chance I'd say "Let's take the bus!" :bus:

PopPhan
03-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I am of two minds when it comes to bus vs. car (rental or otherwise) for getting around WDW.

A qualifier: In all my visits to WDW, I (we) have used Bus transportation (or WDW provided transportation - bus, boat, monorail) for everything.

Disney provided transportation is great and allows you that last little piece of release from the real world, and for the most part, I would suggest that it is your best bet.

EXCEPT....You must understand that later in the evenings and at park closings it can be a royal pain! They typically try to get as many sardines into the can as humanly possible and, especially at closing time, this can be nasty. Thousands of people trying to get to and on buses to get back to their respective resorts; Buses that fill to capacity (and more) in seconds; ECVs, wheelchairs and the like having to be loaded first (and no, I do not have a problem with this myself)...It can take a good amount of time to get back to your resort after closing.

Not only do you get the hot, sweaty bodies and tired, cranky kids (and adults), you can have people like me who are not physically able to handle the full day on their feet, but refuse to use an ECV on principal (If I can walk/stand in the morning, I can certainly walk/stand at the end of the day!!) who will stand on the bus, but be constantly moving so as to reduce the lower back and foot pain. (Sorry to all who I may have made uncomfortable with this!! I will refuse to take a seat from elderly, pregnant women, or people with babies/infants who NEED to be held.)

All that being said, I always enjoy the bus rides - chatting with other visitors, reminiscing about the days events, just sitting back and listening to the music playing on the bus and how it changes based on your destination.

angyl15
04-15-2016, 01:25 PM
We always rent a car. With 3 kids, it is awful to deal with tired children, waiting for a bus, standing on a bus, folding a stroller (and all the stuff that was under the stroller) and then walking to your room with said tired/sleeping kids. Even with staying on-site one of our first trips is to the car care center to get a small car. The kids can fall asleep on the way home in their comfy seats with the air blazing and we can carry them the short distance to the room. We tried to go without on the last trip - I thought DH was going to lose it :) He took an uber over to car care and took any car he could get :)