PDA

View Full Version : Mgm

minnie04
02-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Not happy with the change. I for one loved the Sorcerer Hat. It made the park. Sorry , but now it looks boring. Each park has (HAD) a big symbol and now it looks empty. :(

And yes it will always be MGM to me :D :mickey:

crazygoalie39
02-27-2015, 02:35 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the hat, but didn't hate it either. I like that I can see the theater, but I do agree that it looks empty now though. They definitely need some kind of icon other than Earful or ToT.

manutd1
02-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Not happy with the change. I for one loved the Sorcerer Hat. It made the park. Sorry , but now it looks boring. Each park has (HAD) a big symbol and now it looks empty. :(

Oh, my I disagree....Now its looks like it did from the beginning...An unobstructed view of the Chinese theatre..Which, is VERY important to the themeing of the park. Now, there is a lot of rumours as to the future of the studios...and if it will even be "studios" like. Time will tell...but for me...The only thing worse than the hat...was the wand over SSE....And it was so refreshingly retro to have it removed a while back:thumbsup:
Now, if they would just call Epcot...what it was meant to be and used to be...EPCOT Center....

VWL Mom
02-27-2015, 05:33 PM

I agree, we liked the hat and the pin shop underneath. Looking at the photos online the street just looks empty now.

DonaldDuck1117
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I dispised the wand over spaceship earth, however I rather enjoyed the hat. The Chinese Theater is rather dull at the end of the street. Without a doubt the weakest of the four icons.

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Good thing the Chinese Theater isn't the icon then, is it? :)

Earful Tower sharing duties with ToT seems to be how they are handling it... With Earful Tower getting more of the lead billing...

Sylvia
02-27-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Hollywood Blvd the way it was when the park opened in 1989. The view of the theater has always been a favorite. Although the hat was nice, it was too large and did not add value to the great view of the Blvd.

The earful tower was the original park icon when it opened and is the logic choice to become the icon once again.

VWL Mom
02-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Good thing the Chinese Theater isn't the icon then, is it? :)

Earful Tower sharing duties with ToT seems to be how they are handling it... With Earful Tower getting more of the lead billing...

The 2015 starter pin set does indeed the Earful Tower for DHS.

DonaldDuck1117
02-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Haha I knew someone was going to harp on the word "icon." I do love the earful tower. Let me put it this way, the theater is the most underwhrlming centerpiece of a park. It doesn't compete with the castle, spaceship earth, or tree of life.

Melanie
02-27-2015, 09:45 PM
Earful Tower is on much of the new merchandise. I agree the Theatre is pretty underwhelming, but I'm thinking maybe with the DHS 'redo,' there will be a new icon.

1DisneyNut
02-27-2015, 10:22 PM
I dispised the wand over spaceship earth, however I rather enjoyed the hat. The Chinese Theater is rather dull at the end of the street. Without a doubt the weakest of the four icons.

I completely agree. Every time I saw the wand, I would comment about it looking out of place. I was glad to see it go.

I was happy to see the hat when they built it. It gave the park a real icon that was easy to find and use as a reference point and meeting place. Just to add, I have always thought MGM/DHS was the most disorganized, poorly planned park in WDW.

TheVBs
02-28-2015, 07:28 AM
We loved the hat and can't imagine the park without it. But, I won't say that I hate that it's gone until I see the park without it. I'll still be a little sad, no getting around that.

Wells
02-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Having visited this park since the opening in1989, I for one am happy to see the original view down Hollywood Boulevard restored!
Actually, I disliked the giant stage more than I objected to the hat! Let's hope that they do not put that back up!

Main Street Jim
02-28-2015, 08:56 AM
The Sorcerer Hat was never meant to be a permanent structure. It was erected for the "100 Years of Disney Magic" celebration in 2000-2001. Like the wand on Spaceship Earth, I am happy to see it go, as (like others have stated) it restores the original view of the park and Hollywood Boulevard. It's like seeing the "Pepto Bismol" Castle coming down :)

joanna71985
02-28-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm glad the Hat is gone!

MCeee
02-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Yeah we're REALLY glad to see the hat go as well. Our fondest memory of this park, since its opening is seeing the Chinese Theater in the distance.
The centerpieces for the other parks are larger, but only in stature, not in meaning, at least for us. The actual Chinese Theater in Hollywood, CA is about the same size as the DHS one, which is reasonable.
As far as "icons" go, the Earful Tower has always been a notable symbol for both DMGM and DHS.

dtootsie42
02-28-2015, 05:16 PM
I did not dislike the hat but I was not a huge fan of the hat either. From the recent pictures I have seen I love the unobstructed view of the Chinese Theater.

joonyer
02-28-2015, 05:54 PM
I kinda liked the hat, although It doesn't really bother me that it's gone now. Other than being a backdrop for some photos, it didn't really help create any special Disney memories.
But you can't argue with the fact that it's appearance had become "iconic" in the sense that upon seeing it in a picture, or on a pin, etc. it made you immediately think of the park. That being said, it was by far the weakest "icon" of the four WDW parks. Each of the others is much more elaborate structurally, and contains an attraction or restaurant. You got Spaceship Earth, a gigantic geodesic sphere, with a now classic omnimover ride inside, the Tree of Life, an amazing piece of sculpture (almost an attraction in itself), that contains a 4-D movie attraction, and Cinderella's castle, the worldwide symbol of Disney, enough said. Each is the "anchor" of it's park.

Now that the hat is gone though, I suppose the Earful Tower becomes as before, the park symbol, but come on, compared to the other three parks, a water tank with mickey ears stuck on it is the best they can do?? That takes no imagination and it is in no way a centerpiece of the park like the other three have. You can do better than that Disney.

texas211
02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
They need to be like DCA, and build a brand indpt attraction to be the icon. Not the Chinese Theater or the Twilight Zone TOT, but a Disney ride to represent. A great water ride or something.