PDA

View Full Version : DDP Redux

baldburke
02-23-2015, 01:46 PM
It's been several trips since we've used the DDP but DW was wondering if we should consider for this year? In checking around it looks like the cost is $60 plus change per day per person with the standard package. My youngest "adult" is 11 so I guess that makes him old enough to vote, drink and smoke? So for a family of 5 on a 7 day stay that would be $2,100. We usually do one sit down and one quick service per day at WDW. If someone want something more they get it, but we usually don't eat 3 squares in Disney. On our last trip (again 7 days) I kept tabs of our food costs and it was less than $1,200 with tips! Sure there may have been some snacks I didn't record, but has anyone else see that type of variance between DDP and paying outright? These were "normal" Disney meals, 2 buffets and 5 standard restaurants. Maybe we are more frugal with our quick service purchases? It's not uncommon for us to share a flat bread or sandwich. Has anyone else felt that the DDP was a good deal?

LisaP
02-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Although I like the convenience of having it paid in advance, I didn't get the full value both times I chose the DDP. We did several character meals with our two little ones, so the experience was worth the value paid vs out of pocket. However we still could not use all of our meals and snacks. It surely depends on what your plans are while you are there. Once the kiddies pass 9 years old, unless they're eating like a football player it's clearly a bit excess in price. My son will be a week into his 10th birthday when we go, so I'm planning to skip the DDP.

eandrsmom
02-23-2015, 03:01 PM
We got it last spring, and had a bunch of snacks left over. We never used the snack credits for drinks because we had refillable mugs at the resort and bring bottled water into the parks. We were scrambling our last day to find items in the gift shops that we could use the leftover snack credits on. Plus, we ordered a dessert at the CS restaurants which we would not normally do. It was just too much food. For us, it really wasn't a value, but I liked having everything prepaid when we got there. I don't think that we'll be doing it again for awhile since my younger son just turned 10 and isn't a big eater. It just isn't worth it. I've been purchasing Disney gift cards, a few at a time, prior to our next trip, and plan on using them for our dining. It's kind of like prepaying without adding on things you don't need.

dnickels
02-23-2015, 03:22 PM
It's been several trips since we've used the DDP but DW was wondering if we should consider for this year? .....

Since you've already done the math it's hard to see how it would make sense given your dining habits. Even factoring in price increases since your last visit I can't imagine you'd eat $900 more worth of food.

The Dining Plan doesn't exist to save guests money, it exists so Disney can get those dining dollars ahead of time and for staffing/buying decisions. By getting guests to book reservations months in advance it allows Disney to plan staffing and food prep work months ahead as well, thereby saving them more money. I'm sure a few people manage to come out ahead using the dining plan, but they push it because it's better for them, not because it saves the average guest money.

Scallywag
02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
We usually get our $'s worth. I look @ the most expensive thing on the menu and work my way down from there. I look at menus prior to making ADR's so everyone gets something they really want. Then we don't worry about price once we are there.
Last year we used our snacks on breakfast items. Big old blueberry muffins, chocolate chip muffins, danishes etc. It was enough to fill us up in the mornings. We also spent less time eating breakfast and were able to get to the parks faster in the mornings.
We were usually too full to use our snacks on anything between meals. The breakfast idea worked great for us.

Butters
02-23-2015, 04:14 PM
We no longer use it anymore since all value has disappeared on us.

I found the only way we could start pushing even was only ordering the most expensive menu item on a regular basis. Plus the fact that we don't eat a dessert at every meal (and when using the DDP we would often times turn it down or take a bite and toss it).

It no longer represented a value for my family so we are now strictly TIW and love the savings and flexibility that brings.

DizneyRox
02-24-2015, 07:21 AM
I've been saying the dining plan had no value for years, so it's nice seeing others make that realization.

So, you're right, there is no value, don't feel bad about quickly passing on it. Honestly, there's no longer a need to even run the numbers...

TiW is the best 'deal' right now... But realize that food right now is quickly becoming the #2 most expensive part of a Disney Vacation, right behind tickets.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-24-2015, 11:30 AM
I've been saying the dining plan had no value for years, so it's nice seeing others make that realization.

So, you're right, there is no value, don't feel bad about quickly passing on it. Honestly, there's no longer a need to even run the numbers...

TiW is the best 'deal' right now... But realize that food right now is quickly becoming the #2 most expensive part of a Disney Vacation, right behind tickets.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Like many things Disney, depends on the family and the circumstances. I would agree, as an oop expense, I would never find value in it or do it. However, as a discount option, as in "free dining" with a family of 5 with the 2nd kid about to turn 10, it is an incredible value as we usually stay moderate (POR) and the value of the free DDP (even with food we wouldn't use and factoring in tips) still greatly outweighs the room only discount we would have gotten.

For us, when its free, no brainer, take it. When its discounted (like stay-play-dine) we have to crunch the numbers, if its OOP, then nope, not going to happen.

baldburke
02-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I saw some good points. It's rare that we order the most expensive item on the menu and our kids never would. Likewise we don't usually get desert at meals since Disney portions are too big to start. Rather we usually opt for a quick snack on the road. I looked at our reservations for the seven days and think we might be able to do it for $1,300 or less based on current rates. It's a little more than last time but far cheaper than the DDP sticker rate. 6 weeks and counting!