PDA

View Full Version : New DHS icon - Tower of Terror?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-19-2015, 03:03 PM
We were down in the World end of January, and spending a week + down there and constantly looking at the phone app and parks guide, it was obvious that the Sorcerer's hat was still the "unofficial" icon of DHS. I noticed today that when I went on the Disney website that they've now removed the Hat and it looks like, for now anyway, that ToT is the new symbol for DHS.

Would that be your choice, or would you go with the Earful Tower, or the Mickey Entrance statue or maybe Graumann's theater? (or just go with Olaf or another Frozen character?)

tjstrike
02-19-2015, 03:26 PM
My sister works there, she told me it was originally supposed to be the Chinese theater, so my guess is it will be the Chinese theater ?

Coleby
02-19-2015, 03:35 PM
My choice would be to bring back the Earful Tower....but that was long before ToT was built.

I guess ToT makes sense now since it would be one of the tallest structures at the studios.

goofy for pluto
02-19-2015, 04:20 PM
If the park is going with a Star Wars theme Grauman's Chinese Theater seems more appropriate, but it does seem for now they are using the Tower of Terror.
My vote would be for the theater though.

Melanie
02-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Anything I've seen has been the Earful Tower. All the WDW Marathon Weekend merchandise had Earful Tower, as did all the walls around the removal of the Hat.

Figment!
02-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Most (if not all) 2015 merchandise I've seen is using the Earful Tower as the park icon.

As Melanie mentioned, there are also construction wall murals in the park prominently depicting the Earful Tower silhouette.

Sylvia
02-19-2015, 09:05 PM
The Earful Tower is the most logical choice. I believe it has always been the designated park icon. Somewhere in my collection of "stuff", I have a paper cube that I purchased after Animal Kingdom opened. Each side has a different park icon. For the Studios, the icon is the Earful Tpwer. It is also included in the cover photo of the 2014 calendar.

Maddie
02-20-2015, 08:50 AM
When I was young it was always the ear water tower. To me that still is the icon of good ole "MGM" (Disney's Hollywood Studios):mickey:

KylesMom
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Several years ago I purchased an MGM Studios lamp for my DS on the Disney website - Earful Tower. To this day he still won't call it DHS, but that is another story LOL

I know before the 100 Years of Magic celebration which created the opportunity for the hat, it (Earful)was always touted as the park's icon in the Backlot Tour spiel. Hope it returns to that. While I love Tower of Terror, it is imo not really a park icon like Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle or the Tree of Life.

#1donaldfan
02-20-2015, 10:43 AM
When I was young it was always the ear water tower. To me that still is the icon of good ole "MGM" (Disney's Hollywood Studios):mickey:

AHHH, the good 'ol days going to MGM !! haha. I've not heard that in quite some time !! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2015, 11:24 AM
I know before the 100 Years of Magic celebration which created the opportunity for the hat, it (Earful)was always touted as the park's icon in the Backlot Tour spiel. Hope it returns to that. While I love Tower of Terror, it is imo not really a park icon like Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle or the Tree of Life.

This. :ditto:

DizneyFreak2002
02-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Would be nice to get a new icon though once the remake is complete... Just wouldn't hold my breath for that though...

Earful Tower works just fine...

Gator
02-20-2015, 06:54 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for a giant Death Star right where the Hat used to be. One, it would signal that the park is going Star Wars. Two, it would burn up all those people clamoring to tear down the Hat. I know it won't happen, but it would be cool! :D

Melanie
02-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Earful Tower is on the just released Star Wars Weekends poster. I think it's very safe to say that's the official icon - for now.

DizneyRox
02-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Is there anyplace in the park that you can even see the Earful Tower? I thought you could see it sortof in between a few of the sound stages, but I don't remember really having a clear shot at it outside of the backlot tour...