PDA

View Full Version : How many people have been to both WDW and Disneyland?

Aurora
02-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Just another completely unscientific survey. There are frequently threads about whether attractions and Disneyland should come to WDW, or vice versa. Some think Disney attractions should stay unique to each coast so they stay fresh and a draw to that park; others say importing attractions might make them more available to guests who might not be able to experience them.

My question is, have you been both parks, or just one and not the other? If you haven't been to both, do you plan eventually to visit the park you haven't seen yet?

Just for fun!

P.S. Didn't actually post poll questions so just give your answers below! :mickey:

Melanie
02-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Been to both, many times each. I've also been to Tokyo and Hong Kong, with plans to go to Paris in the near future.

We love to travel. I'm all about sharing technology (for instance, the trackless ride system from Pooh in Tokyo/Mystic Manor in HK), but all about making the experience unique park to park. I know what can be done, so it kills me when Disney doesn't/won't spend all that newfound Magic Band money on cool new experiences.

tjstrike
02-18-2015, 06:28 PM
I've been to both but its been a long time ago since I've been to Disneyland. My parents use to visit family in Cali and we would go to Disney and Knott's berry farm. I would vote for sharing between the Disney parks because we don't get to any of the others very often, just WDW. If DL has something better, I'm all for getting it a WDW.

BrowncatP
02-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Three trips to DL, and eleven to WDW. When DL is crowded you notice the size difference of the parks much more. I was getting tired of the bumping and weaving that you end up doing all day in getting around the park. "Excuse me,sorry," were my key words of the day!

BrerGnat
02-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Both too many times to count! Seriously, my Disneyland visits are in the 200's.

Disney4us2
02-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Both too many times to count! Seriously, my Disneyland visits are in the 200's.

Same here....

We used to live in CA. My DD grew up at Disneyland. Started her at 3 months and then not until 15 mos on a steady basis as an AP ( for me).

Now we live in Florida and WDW is now our home parks.

I love WDW, but miss Disneyland so much.

tundramom
02-18-2015, 08:01 PM
DL 1969, and 2006 WDW yearly
I agree with Melanie, I wish they would share some of ride technology. Even from park to park the "same" ride varies some. DD loved comparing DL to WDW rides after our 2006 trip and I found it surreal how small DL was compared to my memories as a 6 year old.

faline
02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Been to both and enjoy both. They are,in many ways, quite different but also have a number of similarities. Looking forward to our next Disneyland visit!!

goofy for pluto
02-18-2015, 08:34 PM
I have been to Disneyland, and Walt Disney World.
Hopefully someday I will get to go to Disneyland Paris. but as a cancer survivor I would never go to Tokyo Disney. The Fukushima disaster and
the after effects of it seem never ending.
It would be awesome to see them bring some of those attractions to the US though.

MrPeetrie
02-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Disneyland once in 1976; many times to Walt Disney World. Hope to go to Tokyo Disney someday. Have Adventures by Disney trip to Africa planned.

mrte62
02-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Been to both about the same number of times. My parents moved to Southern California right after I got married. Our 4 kids went to DL many times before we headed to WDW.

MyDisneyworld
02-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Been to DL once in 2000 and have been to WDW many times. Hope to make it back to DL with the kids so they can experience them both.

Jeff
02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Been to both, many many times to WDW, 3 times to Disneyland.
Love DL but miss Epcot when there!

Ian
02-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Been to both, many many times to WDW, 3 times to Disneyland.
Love DL but miss Epcot when there!:ditto:

EeyoresBestFriend
02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Been to both.

WDW is my home though. I love the immersion of staying on-site and being completely out of the 'real' world.

I do have to say that I love the Jack overlay on the HM in DL in the Fall. :thumbsup:

Sylvia
02-19-2015, 12:14 AM
I've been to both, but most often to WDW. I hope to go back to DL soon to see some of my favorite things that aren't in WDW.

Polynesian Dweller
02-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Been to both several times with my first trip to Disneyland being in 1957 and WDW in the 1970's (78 I think but might have been a couple of years earlier). Definitely at WDW for the opening of Epcot, DHS, and AK.

TheVBs
02-19-2015, 08:23 AM
We've never been to Disneyland. We would love to check it out some day, but only if we're out there, or close to it, for a larger trip. I can't see us making the trip just for DL. So, that makes me interested in having the parks share. Of course, if we do make it out there some day, having something unique to experience would be nice.:mickey:

Ms. Mode
02-19-2015, 09:36 AM
I went DL in 1980 when my sister lived in California; we started taking my DD to WDW in 2004 and found that all of us love it so much we are now among the Disney poor.

The two things I remember about DL are PotC and the Tea Cups. I would love to go back sometime and see all the additions. :blush:

Butters
02-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Went to both... My one trip to DL sold us mostly because of the history, but DLs huge advantage is not converting to FP+

Melanie
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Went to both... My one trip to DL sold us mostly because of the history, but DLs huge advantage is not converting to FP+

It's unfortunately headed that way though, in some form or other. :(

AgentC
02-19-2015, 12:09 PM
I went to Disneyland for the first time last October. Someday I might even write a trip report about it. :blush:

I went to Disney World for the first time when I six. I've lost count on how many times I've gone since we moved to Florida.

DNS
02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
We have been to WDW coming up on our 17th or 18th trip. Starting to lose count. Have only been to DL once which was last year. We loved the easy access to each park, hotels, shopping, from a central location, but we just felt cramped and crowded the whole time. Not a place that we will probably visit again unless we are already in southern California for other reasons. For us, just not worth a special trip. We felt that WDW is far better and we will continue to go there. The only thing we all loved was at California Adventure and that was Cars Land. We spent a great deal of time there and would love to see it or at least a part of it at the Studios in Florida. That would definitely get us spending more time at that park again!

wellsm
02-19-2015, 01:20 PM
I've been to WDW twice - once in 1992 and once in 2012. Both were long family visits, staying onsite and enjoying the immersion of Disney.

I've been to DL 3 times. I've been able to go to a conference held in Anaheim in January for the last 3 years. Each year I buy a couple of twilight conference passes. This lets you go in after 4pm until close, for either DL or DCA. (They sell park-hoppers too, but I can't see how you could want to hop with that short timeframe.)

I'm glad I get to visit - any Disney visit is better than no visit at all - but DL is quite different than WDW. I have enjoyed it more each year than the previous, partly because I have changed my expectations.

A few observations:

DL is smaller. Landlocked by hotels and tourist spots. Convenience and liquor stores. This means some rides are smaller. (Tower of Terror pales in comparison with the WDW version.) This means immersion is less. This means the walkways are tighter. This also means a bit less walking.
DL has LOTS of locals. There are lots of California resident passes, etc., and the nature of the park brings in more locals than "tourists." This changes the feeling and atmosphere. Both times at WDW I was surrounded by people who were in awe, caught up in the magic of a special place and a special trip. For some, a once in a lifetime trip. On my first DL visit I was in awe, and surrounded by people who couldn't care less. The atmosphere everywhere felt like it does at our local theme parks.
Some rides are better. PoTC is much longer and better - more atmospheric. Some rides only exist at DL - like Nemo's sub voyage, which was much better than I expected. (I don't remember WDW 2000 Leagues fondly.) Cars Land is incredible, and I'd hope to see something like it at WDW some day. Some rides are also worse - I didn't care for the DL ToT, and WDW ToT is one of my worldwide favorite rides.
Nostalgic rides. There are some rides here that were originals, or firsts, or that no longer exist elsewhere. Mr Toad. Matterhorn. Snow White. You can also see Walt's apartment in the Fire Station. Any of these can whisk you back in time.

For me, DL is a trip to make when you are nearby for other reasons, or if you are a die-hard Disney fanatic. I wouldn't make a trip just for it.

tinkwest
02-19-2015, 01:28 PM
I've been going to Disneyland on a regular basis since 1955. I lost count of my visits long ago. Even my kids have lost count of their visits they've been so many times. We are fortunate to be able to take day trips if we want.

I have never been to WDW. It would be nice some time, especially to visit Epcot.

I agree with Melanie that the ideas and technology should be shared between Parks, but keep the attractions and architecture unique to each.

magicofdisney
02-19-2015, 03:02 PM
I was born and raised in FL and have been going to WDW my whole life. I've become a more regular visitor as an adult with children. Like those who do/have lived in CA, I couldn't tell you how often I've been to WDW.

I've gone to DL twice now, once each year for the last two. My husband and I plan on going back again this year. I HOPE it becomes an annual tradition. There's just something about being in the place where it all began.

Ultimately, I'd love to visit all the parks world-wide. Like Melanie, I too love to travel. However, overseas travel no longer holds the appeal it once did for me.

Kenny1113
02-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Been to both, mostly WDW
I would Love to get the chance to take my kids to DL they have been to WDW many many times.

hauntedmansiongirl
02-20-2015, 02:44 AM
We have been to both! WDW many times, but Disneyland only once. We're hoping to get back there in 2016 of the fates align! One thing we noticed about Disneyland was how "plussed" so many of the rides seemed. Our favourite difference is Pirates and how it passes the Blue Bayou restaurant. Such a cool experience. We can't wait to go back! :mickey:

DonLefNY
02-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Been to both. WDW over a hundred times and DL only once back in 2004.

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Yup--numerous times to WDW and Disneyland and once to Disneyland Paris.

Gator
02-20-2015, 07:01 PM
It's unfortunately headed that way though, in some form or other. :(

I don't know how since they can't even get the hotels and parks to sync the room keys with the tickets. I honestly don't see it happening....which is why my recent trips have been to DL.

WDW is certainly my vacation of choice, with 4 parks, 2 water parks, and all those hotels and good restaurants in the parks. But the fact that they're taking out my favorite Icon, my favorite act and main reason to visit Epcot - the World Showcase Players - have been cut, and it's getting pricey to fly to Orland with a family of 5 has tilted us to a 6 hour drive to Anaheim. I've done 5 day trips the last two Novembers to DL, and I can say it's growing on me. It's taken me a while to get used to less planning, less TS places to eat, and the fact that fireworks get cancelled often (vs just about never at WDW). But with Legacy FP, it's a really good place for a relaxed and no stress Disney vacation. Didn't think those existed anymore. And we'll be going back next week thanks to some APs.

garthbarth1
02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
BOTH! :mickey:

Crow
02-21-2015, 05:51 PM
i went to DL once a few yrs ago cause i wanted to see the original. it was before cars land. maybe someday ill go back but it was the history of it that was important to me...and its a lot further away. ive been to WDW 22 times or so

manutd1
02-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Just went to DL last summer. Went for 2 days! Love that place. It is so "so cal" thing going on but it is also Walts original. I consider it my favorite park. But as a vacation with kids and all...we usually choose WDW. But, DL is VERY special to me.:thumbsup:

manutd1
02-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Just can't wrap my head around the dislike for FP+ it is insanely easy to use and while in the parks..everyone we chat to loves it. I guess i just don't see the issue with it.:confused: Its like pressing the easy button. Having 3 FP prior to leaving for a vacation is just very satisfying. After that..its just like normal Fp only i use my phone.

goofy for pluto
02-21-2015, 11:09 PM
I think a lot of people can't always get the fast
passes that they want, and the kiosk in the park to change them has had extremely long lines.
Too bad we can no longer get the legacy fast passes in the park in addition to the ones that are made in advance.

bdm@pga
02-23-2015, 11:06 AM
I have been to WDW too many to mention, but DL only once. For me, I want DL to stay as close to the original as possible. WDW can change and add things, and I like that they added California adventure for that reason. But I went to DL because it was "Walt's House". I didn't go for the amusement park aspect. I live 30 minutes from a major amusement park and I rarely go there. I went because it's the MECA...to walk in his footsteps....sorry if that sounds corny but to me it's the HOLY LAND!:mickey:

brownie
02-23-2015, 07:33 PM
I've been to both, but only two visits to Disneyland.

texas211
02-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Been to both. In fact, went to both last year. Hadn't been to DL in many years, and decided to check it out now that Carsland is open.

While we loved cars, didn't really enjoy the rest. Too small, and crowded. Plus really hate how most of the lines are either uncovered or outdoors w/ little AC.

Had to go to WDW and the Food/Wine festival to get the taste out.

However, I think it comes down to the age ol.. if you grew up going to DL, WDW might seem like overkill or too massive and distant from the original. If you were a WDW person growing into disney, then DL seems too small and quaint.

mickclub1955
02-23-2015, 08:59 PM
I have been to both as well. WDW more than DL. I like DL way better than the MK. It just seems like they didn't do any of the attractions at DL on the cheap. It may be because most are original. I do like The Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain better at the MK. It marvels me that the two parks in California have about just about as many attractions as all four parks in Florida. As a whole, I like the whole Vacation Kingdom of WDW. As I read somewhere, it is like having two children and someone asks you which one you like better. Both have pluses and minus'. But, most parents love all of their children the same.

Mendelson
02-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Since we're on the topic, I'll repost here something I put up last spring, after our first DL trip.

After just getting back from three days in the DL parks, here is my comparison, which I've been eager to make for a long time. I tried to keep it to MK vs. DL, but got a little carried away and dragged in DCA and some of the WDW parks, also.

Space Mountain, Pirates, the refurbed Big Thunder, and Small World all better out west.
DL +1

Queues – DL had some just awful queues. Some of them are holdovers from the early days when Imagineering wasn’t concerned with queue entertainment. The TSM queue, for example, is nowhere near how awesome it is at WDW. In fact, it’s just a snaking line and almost entirely outside.
WDW +1

Cast members – I had heard that they were out-of-this-world at DL. But what I found was the same mix I find at WDW: Some great, a lot good, and a few who shouldn’t be there. I even had one ticket-taker grumpily say, when I asked how he was doing, “I’ll be better in 30 minutes,” which was presumably his punch out time. Wash

The Castle – Oh, there was a castle at Disneyland? Huh. You sure? That pink thing?
WDW +1
BUT Sleeping Beauty Castle has a neat walkthrough attraction. Not enough for a wash, so I maintain WDW +1

Everything being all close together – I walked from Toontown (in the back of DL) to Luigi’s Flying Tires (in essentially the back of DCA) in 16 minutes. That includes standing in a bit of a line to get in to DCA. Compare that to going from Splash Mountain to, say, the American Pavilion at Epcot, which would be...much longer than 16 minutes.
DL +1

Escapism – I’m less than a mile from pulling in to the DL parking lot and I see…Tinkerbell? The Beast? No, a 7-11. It’s just not as escape-from-the-world as I’d like or as you get at WDW.
WDW +1

Carsland/Radiator Springs is one of the most immersive themed environments that accurately represents the source material that I’ve ever been in. You are plopped down into that movie. It’s just stunning. At night when all the neon is on it looks just like that evening scene in the movie
DL +1

Downtown Disney - Most malls near us are bigger than the one at DL.
WDW +1

TSM has much shorter standby lines at DL, but no Fastpass, so you don’t wait for 2.5 hours...but still have to wait 50 minutes to an hour.
Wash

World of Color, the DCA evening show - just amazing. Really amazing. AND there is also Fantasmic and fireworks out west. Even with Illuminations at Epcot, nod goes to DL.
DL +1

Wayfinding - This is probably just my familiarity with MK vs. unfamiliarity with DL, but I found the signage/wayfinding at DL to not be particularly good. And I felt like I was forever searching for restrooms when I needed them.
WDW +1

THEY DO NOT HAVE VANILLA DOLE WHIP AT DL. So your float is pineapple on pineapple which is just too much pineapple. The woman apologized a lot, particularly when I started yell-swearing, and she said that it was a storage space issue?? Come on! (As I told her when she started crying, I wasn't really yelling at her.)
WDW +..... 30

Earthquakeyness - WDW, essentially zero chance. We experienced a 5.1 while at DL. If you live through it and it's not destructive, in hindsight it's pretty neat to experience. And hurricanes aren't as awesome, what with that annoying wind and rain and predictability. So
DL +1

Exposure to that awful Autopia - At WDW you always smell/hear it. At DL...they have Autopia?
DL +1

Things seemed a little crowded and on top of each other at DL and some of the theming of the separate lands kind of ….bumps into each other. You even notice this from the hub.
WDW +1

One park STILL HAS Mr. Toad and Snow White. That park is…
DL +1

Tarzan Treehouse vs. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
Wash

Streetmosphere and shows
Wash

Toontown is awesome, awesome, awesome if you have a little one.
DL +1

Dual Dumbos with better waiting area.
WDW +1

Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters/Space Ranger Spin has better scenes out west AND the guns are freemoving, not anchored.
DL +1

RnR vs. California Screaming
Wash

Crowdedness - DL occupies 85 acres vs. MK's 107 and MK only outdraws it by a little bit on a per-day average. Thus, DL is going to feel more crowded. Consider that we usually go to WDW during slower times and our DL trip was around spring break and thus I'd estimate that DL was probably 30 percent more crowded than we've ever experienced MK being. Tomorrowland at DL is really charming, but at the height of the day you could barely get through it. So, just based on that, I give
WDW +1

Other odds-and-ends:
DCA is really gorgeous and we found each land to be very, very well done and unique and immersive. It really exceeded our expectations.

We rode the Matterhorn because it is a classic attraction. There is nothing special about the Matterhorn.

Blue Bayou theming > San Angel Inn theming, but it's very, very close. On food, it is not at all very, very close. (And you know which wins.)

Character lunch at Ariel’s Grotto was not something we’d do again. The princesses came around and we got a few minutes with each. It didn’t feel rushed, but they just didn’t hang out (I’m sure tables with 7yo girls get more time). The food was downright eh. Character breakfast at the Plaza Inn was great - it’s just breakfast food but there were lots of characters throughout and lots of character interactions. My son was happy showing off his two little Chip and Dale figures, and many of the characters interacted with them, including Rafiki doing his whole broken-fruit-voodoo-forehead-swipe anointment thing.

Overall, we really enjoyed our three days, of course, and could easily have spent another couple days there. There were still things we didn't get to, and that's with our open-to-close park touring style. I have to say that I expected to be blown away by DL vs. MK, and wasn’t, really. DCA exceeded expectations, as I noted. It may be because it’s where I’ve been most frequently, but I just really prefer WDW. Primarily and obviously because there is SO much there that DL/DCA just can’t replicate. Four parks, a huge downtown Disney, the World Showcase, and several hotels that are fun to just explore, even if you’re not staying in them. Plus, the whole sense of being removed from the world is just more palpable at WDW. I would never make a trip to Southern California just to visit Disneyland, but would certainly plan a few days there during a trip I'm already taking there.