PDA

View Full Version : De-Stressing

TheVBs
02-18-2015, 08:28 AM
I would love to hear what everyone does to help them de-stress. I am currently up to my eyeballs in stress. :( DH is still job hunting after being laid off (it's only been a little over a month, but feels like an eternity). And, I've ended up becoming a huge, public advocate for the teachers in our school district. They're working without a contract and the board members are making horrible decisions. One of which resulted in a horror show of a school board meeting where one of our teachers was publicly humiliated by having private info presented! I have been speaking out at meetings, organizing people - all things that are WAY outside my comfort zone.

Anyway, I try to work on family photo projects and look at our vacation pictures to take me to a happy place. I'm also trying to stretch, do yoga and get some cardio in most days. What I want to do is hide and shovel cake into my face. What do you guys do to de-stress?

Disney4us2
02-18-2015, 08:44 AM
In the past I have done puzzles. It helped to focus on that task and forget about everything else. Currently it is walking to train for a 5k....of course traing at Epcot is a bonus :thumbsup::blush::cool:

sonamae80
02-18-2015, 10:42 AM
I color! Yep, go ahead and laugh! :D My DH does! But for some reason, while I'm coloring, I don't think about anything except what I'm coloring. I can be stressed to the max, and sit down to color a small picture, and instantly start to feel the stress melt away!

;)

Disney4us2
02-18-2015, 12:01 PM
I color! Yep, go ahead and laugh! :D My DH does! But for some reason, while I'm coloring, I don't think about anything except what I'm coloring. I can be stressed to the max, and sit down to color a small picture, and instantly start to feel the stress melt away!

;)

I used to love to color. Great idea!

barnaby
02-18-2015, 12:20 PM
I play video games on the PS3, best stress relief for me.
Also, watch sports.

Strmchsr
02-18-2015, 12:53 PM
To mentally unwind I'll watch movies, play video games, etc but the feelings of stress are due to stress chemicals being released in the body and the best way to combat that is through physical exercise that will release the endorphins (good chemicals). So I'll bike, do martial arts, play hockey, etc.

TheVBs
02-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Thank you for all the tips! There are days when I know I will be a mess if I don't get some exercise. Even though the stress makes me feel exhausted. Normally, I would get a massage, but that's sure not in the budget right now!

I wish it weren't so brutally cold out today. It would be nice to get out and do something.

And I love puzzles and coloring!! :mickey: I would not have thought to try those. I used to color with the girls all the time. I think we may have some coloring books in the basement. We also have some Disney Kincaid puzzles that everyone else bailed on. No reason not to finish them myself.

I've also promised myself that I'll step away from the school thing for a couple of days.

NJGIRL
02-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Many things.......I walk or do the elliptical. I scrapbook and organize photo albums......Cleaning is a big one. lol

If you don't work or have free time, start to volunteer on a regular schedule. Seeing how many problems others have may take your mind off of yours....Some suggestions: your local animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity, Make A Wish, or a food pantry.

Also....two years ago we started a slow downsizing process. I have never been a keeper of things and have always donated what we don't use but I wanted to take it even further. It wasn't about money but more about de-cluttering our lives and getting ready to move after my son is out of college.

That experience has cleared my mind more than I can even explain....It has also had an unexpected perk. We have made a lot of money through the process.

Sold my sons outdoor playset which we purchased 11 years ago for $500....sold my husbands 1970 receiver and turntable for $400.....skiis.....keyboard....gps....and the list goes on and on. We paid for our spring vacation ($3000) to Universal last year with everything we sold.....and the amazing thing is that we don't miss anything that we don't have anymore.

I guess my point is that de-cluttering my life has made me feel more relaxed and has also made us a little bit of money. I never realized the "stuff" we had around the house (mainly hidden in closets never seeing the light of day) was so valuable as a whole. You might want to try it. It may help de stress you and help out with the bills until your family gets over the hump.

Disney4us2
02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
If you don't find coloring books you can print them off the computer. There's a lot of cute Disney ones too. I have a puzzle app for my iPad that I use all the time. They don't take long to do, and you won't lose any pieces.

deedee73
02-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Good luck with DH being laid off. Mine was laid off for nearly 11 months. I went out of my mind. As time went on he got so depressed putting more stress on me. I feel your pain.

TinkerbellT421
02-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Well, usually I scrapbook. Though I haven't done that much lately! But, I also play games on pogo; free to join tons of games to keep you entertained and distracted! I read a lot, I am currently reading the fifth Harry Potter book, I just started reading that series in the last 6 months, I am a little late after the fad I suppose lol. I am thinking about taking of cross stitch or knitting....I have a ton of supplies from when my mom used to do it, so I have been tinkering with the idea of starting and using some of her left over supplies so they don't go to waste. I also enjoy puzzles as someone else mentioned. Only problem I found was I have about ten completed puzzles piled high under a bed in the spare bedroom laid out on posterboards....after they are completed I don't have the heart to dissemble them, but also don't know what the heck to do with them when completed....

TheVBs
02-20-2015, 11:25 AM
NJGirl, great suggestions, thank you! I do volunteer, but it's mostly seasonal. I'll have to look into what I can do right now. Anything involving animals is out of the question because I want to take all of them home! And, thank you for the reminder on how good it feels to de-clutter! I have been listing things on ebay here and there. Stuff that used to be so important that I have and I don't feel even a twinge of regret letting them go.

Disney4us2, I think I actually have a bunch of coloring pages saved on my PC from when the girls were little. Disney ones of course! Now, to find the crayons. :)

Deedee73, it hasn't quite been a couple of months and hitting this lull is already taking DH towards depression. Thankfully he has some home projects to distract him. And, he's just been contacted about 3 different positions! Fingers crossed one of them works out!

TinkerbellT421, I used to do a lot of scrapbooking too, but now I do photobooks. I've got a couple of unfinished ones online that I could work on. The nice thing is that I can complete them and save them without it costing me anything. Then, when the budget opens back up I can order them.

Thank you so much to all of you! It really has helped me a lot to be reminded of things I can do to keep my mind and body occupied. My brain has just been stuck and I couldn't think of what to do with myself. You guys are great! :mickey:

NJGIRL
02-20-2015, 07:54 PM
I forgot about reading....when I first was laid off I did a ton of reading....All of the Stephanie Plum books....then went on to Catherine Coulters FBI series which are a mixture of crime and romance with the same main characters throughout the series. I still have the Catherine Coulter (14 books) and if you are interested in them give me a PM with your address and I will send them to you. Reading was a great escape!

It's easy to get into a funk....on top of what's going on, it's also dark, gloomy, cold winter and that can get depressing by itself. Hope you start to feel a little better soon!

TheVBs
02-23-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm an avid reader too! I don't often buy books anymore. We have such a wonderful library system and I use it as much as possible.

That is so nice of you! I've never read any of her books, but I've had them recommended to me. I would hate to have you spend the money on postage though, when I can put them on my library list.

brad192
02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Beer - lots of beer! (Just kidding.)

I sing. I've been a member of a chorus for over 25 years, and even if I'm totally stressed out before rehearsal, I feel much better after making music with my friends, many of whom I consider "extended family". We sing, we laugh, we go out for dinner after rehearsal, and by the time I get home & ready for bed, I'm relaxed, mellow, and ready for a good night's sleep. :cloud9:

Several of us call rehearsal night "Therapy Night". :)

Janmac
02-24-2015, 11:26 PM
I plan Disney trips altho coloring is good. I've been accused of spending half an hour on Cinderella's bucket while she's cleaning the floor.

It doesn't matter if we're not really going to Disney. I decide on a different kind of trip - one we'd never take, maybe an Epcot only trip - and plan away.

I agree with Chris about the physical activity and the endorphins but sometimes I just need to lose myself in an activity and I'm not put together in a sports way (never going to get that second wind! :D ). Coloring or Disney planning take me into another smaller space and I forget about the outside world.

Always good to add music, too.

Jan

TheVBs
02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
LOL! Brad, I am not opposed to a nice glass of red wine in the evening. It's wonderful that you have such a therapeutic experience with your singing group. I can't sing at all unfortunately. If I did, I would stress everyone else out. :D

Janmac, thanks for your suggestion! You know, before this happened we were about to start planning a trip to the Grand Canyon. I think I will go ahead and plan it anyway. Then we'll be all set for whenever we do get to go!

MNNHFLTX
02-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Walking is my great de-stressor--on the treadmill if need be, but I prefer to walk outside to clear my head. Sometimes I run if I feel like it, but I try not to time myself (just adds more pressure!) I also like to garden and do yard work and I love to do travel planning, it's a great distraction.

TheVBs
02-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Walking is great. We have a treadmill that I couldn't live without. But, we're also incredibly lucky to live in a very walkable town. Even with this awful weather I've gotten out to walk to the grocery store, drug store, library, bank, etc. Fresh air and a change of scenery really helps!

Still struggling with the stress and anxiety of these situations we're dealing with. But I'm trying to be mindful enough to recognize it and be proactive about heading it off. I haven't completely avoided it, but all of your contributions have given me a plan for several different things to do so that I can try to tackle it. I want to thank all of you again! :)

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-01-2015, 10:14 PM
I ride my bike (we have a recumbent exercise one for bad days). I run Hanon exercises (scales) on the piano - LOUDLY. I crochet. I read. I put on music and proceed to sing and dance like a fool. I have Netflix binges. I'm a 'housewife'. My kids are all almost grown and out on their own.

TheVBs
03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I think we need more music in this house! With you on the occasional Netflix binge too. :)

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I think we need more music in this house! With you on the occasional Netflix binge too. :)

I love Pandora Radio for music - they have a lot of Disney soundtrack music. But you can also go with Jazz, 80s, Alt Rock - what ever floats your boat at the moment. I've been known to scrub tubs to a good rousing, loud arrangement of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. And dishes are quite often scrubbed to some Imagine Dragons. Floors have been swept to Gerry Mulligan.
I run the mix.
Right now, I'm binging during the school day to Medium on Netflix...didn't watch during original run.

Good luck with De-Stressing. Sometimes just a good scream into a pillow works.;)

TheVBs
03-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Yes, there are so many opportunities to have music on and we rarely take advantage of it. I'm going to have to be more mindful of that.

I watched Medium on Netflix a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Currently we're watching Leverage. It's good!

TheVBs
03-03-2015, 07:24 AM
I've also been making myself say no to things. Taking things off my schedule has helped, especially when they're related to something stressful.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-03-2015, 10:21 AM
I've also been making myself say no to things. Taking things off my schedule has helped, especially when they're related to something stressful.

No is one of the hardest words to use in the English Language. I started using it when people would ask me to do things just because they know I'm a 'housewife'. The logic being that I have lots of free time. :rolleyes:

TheVBs
03-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Oh yeah! Been there. Because all we do is lounge around eating chocolates and painting our nails, right? :mad: