PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre interview request

TheVBs
02-03-2015, 06:52 AM
Okay, this is the weirdest thing ever. DH went on an interview yesterday. Not for a direct hire, but a placement agency. They want to also interview me! Not for a job placement for me, but for him. :confused: They've also sent home a questionnaire for me, which I haven't looked at yet. How bizarre is that?! Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

dnickels
02-03-2015, 08:37 AM
It's unusual but certainly not unheard of. There are companies that will have a 'meet the spouse' session as part of the interview process.

Scar
02-03-2015, 08:56 AM
What if you're not married?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
DH has come across this with one placement agency the company he works for has used in the past. They have chosen to no longer use them and that was part of the decision. He requested the form they used for the spouse interview and the questionnaire and those that do the hiring and firing in the company looked them over and found them too invasive and several cases - just flat out against federal hiring laws in what can and cannot be asked. (One question on one form was about frequency of intimacy.)

Either way, good luck to your husband, I know he's been searching.

KylesMom
02-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't know how interested I would be in having a placement agency (that your DH may or may NOT use in an actual hiring situation) interview me for the very reason above!

That being said, I am thinking of you guys, hoping good things will happen soon.

faline
02-03-2015, 11:12 AM
I have heard of meeting spouses/significant others in the interview process when the potential position has involved moving to a different state or country but not for a local position.

sassafras
02-03-2015, 05:28 PM
My husband's current employer requested he bring me to Illinois with him when he interviewed for his job here. We were moving from Indiana and the employer wanted to make sure I thought I could be happy, moving from a bedroom community of Indianapolis to a small, rural Illinois setting (we live in a village of 600). I never met the employer until after my husband had accepted the position and moved here. We never had a headhunter request to interview me though. That just seems weird!

TheVBs
02-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Mystery solved! While looking over the packet of info they sent home with him, we came across a section that talked about having to pay a fee for the service. So, the bottom line is this some kind of scam. DH said the office was even a little weird. Temporary looking, like they could pack up and be gone in a day. Which is probably what they do. He drove an hour to get there too.

magicofdisney
02-05-2015, 08:42 AM
I know that several years ago, headhunters did charge a fee that was generally covered by the company of employment. That aside, a questionnaire for the spouse is TOO intrusive for my taste. It sounds like you won't be using them and I don't blame you.

I say generally above because my husband used a headhunter way back when that sometimes had a client that wouldn't cover the entire fee. :-/ This was right after he graduated. Now he's older and wiser... ;-)

Ian
02-05-2015, 08:07 PM
I'm rarely shocked by anything these days, but this one .... this one surprises me ....

TheVBs
02-06-2015, 07:15 AM
I meant to say, thanks for all the good wishes! Things have really hit a lull. Not unexpected, but still frustrating.

Oh, and the woman he "interviewed" with called to follow up with him. I answered the phone. She was rude and unprofessional when she asked to speak to DH. You'd think she'd be extra polite, especially since she wanted to "interview" me too. DH and I just laughed about it afterwards.

NJGIRL
02-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I would tell them to forget it. Your information is personal and will remain that way.

I was laid off for thee first time ever 5 years ago. It was the best thing that happened to me. I didn't feel that way at the time but looking at things now, I am much more happier now in my current situation.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-15-2015, 10:42 PM
A prospective employee should never pay a head hunter. Their fee is covered by the companies that use them to find prospective employees to fill open positions.

Continued :pixie::pixie: that he finds a position. If he were a Mech. Eng. and willing to relocated. I could recommend a place to apply.

TheVBs
02-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone! He never returned her phone call and that place has not called back. It's a rough time right now because we've hit the inevitable lull. He's sent out lots of resumes and done lots of interviews, and now we wait for responses. He does have an interview this week at a university. Unfortunately, he suspects there may be a significant pay difference, but we'll see.

And, thanks MstgDrvnDsnyLvr! He's not a Mech. Eng. He's an IT professional. Relocating would be our last resort. Thankfully, there seem to be a decent number of opportunities available in the area. That was a worry because his niche is a little higher up and specialized from the majority of IT positions. Fingers crossed!

DizneyFreak2002
02-22-2015, 02:56 PM
I was once asked, during an interview, if I was single... My simple answer, "I''ll be more than happy to answer that question but first, please tell me what does my marital status, or lack there of, have to do with the position I am interviewing for"....

She moved on with her questions after that... BTW, I was called in for a second interview, so my response did not hurt my chances...

TheVBs
02-23-2015, 04:07 PM
You certainly never should have been asked that!