PDA

View Full Version : Episode 73 - The runICOT Marathon Weekend Recap

John
01-27-2015, 06:40 PM
The Cast: Gary O’Brien, Christine Warner, Cindy Jachrimo, Carol Robert, Melanie Bounds, Ian Mitchell. Michael Montanez & John Yaglenski

- The cheering continues, they can’t stop

- The weather and ride reservations

- Triple filtered water

- 5k race day was super cold

- Tambu lounge meet

- Ian is doing a 10k, John is doing a Half

- Our fundraising efforts

- Sunrise in the Magic Kingdom

- Christine tells her Marathon Story

- Gary issues a challenge to Stacey Aswad to run any of the events at Marathon Weekend #runStaceyrun

- John reaches one person with his Cancer story

- The sign issues - code 3636

- Gary and the pink suit

- Get the fever and join us next January!

- Gary’s Column meet

- Disneyland Magic Bands

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, RUN A MARATHON, ENJOY and Spread the love... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2015/episode-73.asp)

JMTStone
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Already planning on next year.

The only thing better than crossing the finish line for my FIRST 1/2 marathon was looking out for my #cheerICOT friends along the way. Thank you guys so much for keeping me going.

INTERCOT podcast was my first inspiration. I was 260 pounds, then I start losing weight kickboxing. Then I hear Christine and Mel talking about runDisney on the podcast.... then I say "I want to do the 5K in 2014". I did it but after I was #cheerICOT. CheerICOT was so much fun! I decide to push myself and do my first 1/2 in 2015. I do the 5, the 10, then the 1/2.

Whole in 2016? Maybe.... But I will NOT miss the cheerICOT 10K at Boardwalk.

Melanie
01-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Awww, Christine. Thank you for your kind words! A little disclaimer here: my stupid Skype dropped the call when Christine was talking about this, and when I finally got reconnected, I was thinking that maybe Christine was talking about me, but wasn't sure. LOL! But, both you and I pushed for runDisney to have a larger presence on the boards (knowing it's popularity and just how fun it can be) and from there it all just kind of rolled into what we now know as #runICOT and #cheerICOT.

I"m not sure what it is about these events that touches me so, because I'm not a runner at all and my hubby has always been a runner, so it's not necessary a tough thing for him. Does that makes sense? I think it's just that I've cheered my hubby for a lot of years at a lot of different events besides Disney, and I've seen a lot of 'journeys.' One of my favorite memories is having VIP access at the Marine Corps Marathon a few years back (certainly not because we're VIPs, but because my hubby knew someone ;) ), and a huge perk with that was being able to stand directly at the finish line. At WDW, it's pretty much impossible to see your runner cross unless you're watching on the big screen or pay that outrageous amount of money to be in the 'cheer zone.' Anyway, the Marine Corps Marathon is one that a lot of first time marathoners run. I'm not ashamed to say that I stood at that finish line with tears running down my face watching so many emotions as folks crossed, ranging from pure elation to pure agony. Amazing! And I stand there and can't help but wonder what story that guy has, who he may be running for, how much weight he may have lost, etc. It's inspiring! This year my tears were for Christine on Marathon Sunday. Such a huge accomplishment, girl!! :cheer:

My hubby has 'run Disney' since before runDisney was a thing. His first WDW Marathon was in 1999, and he did one more before we moved to Japan in the mid '00's. When we moved back to the States 3 years later, more events had been added (including the Disneyland Half) and runDisney was taking off. We were hooked, and now it's a mild obsession. :blush: James has pretty much gotten his fill of the theme parks themselves, but he loves a runDisney event, so I know I'll always get him there for that reason alone.

Cheering has always been fun for me, especially WDW Marathon Weekend. The first few days are especially fun with everyone dressing up and you can holler out "Go Cruella!" , "Go Olaf!", "Go Aladdin!" :heart: and get a response from the runners. On the half and full days, when the runners get a little more serious, I always try to pick out sports teams or service members and give them a little "Gig 'em, Aggies" "Go Tigers!" or a "Go Navy!" and hope that little cheer helps them along the next mile or even 100 feet. :thumbsup:

Now with #cheerICOT in full force, I can't even explain how much fun it is being with my ICOT buddies and cheering on our ICOT runners. and now the added bonus of recognizing the folks from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. GO TEAM! One of my favorite things is when people find their people on the course, and I hope our ICOT runners feel that way about seeing us. And even if we make Grandma at the Boardwalk mad for waking up her grandson (yes, they were warned it was marathon weekend), I say MORE COWBELL! So let's make 2016 a HUGE year for #runICOT and #cheerICOT. How about it? It's exhausting, and I personally know I look like death warmed over by Saturday, but it's so worth it! Can't wait to see you all in Florida next January, as we'll be running and cheering again for THYCA.

cer
01-28-2015, 03:25 PM
I am so crying at work....

John
01-28-2015, 03:48 PM
:thumbsup:
I am so crying at work....

Awwwww!

diz_girl
01-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Been away from ICOT and the Podcasts for WAY too long. Have some catching up to do. So it's on to episode 53. I'll comment on this episode in about a month.

badkitty
01-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Very emotional podcast... My eyes were not dry for very long and I even got teary the second time I listened to it when I played it for my BFF. You are all such amazing people and I'm so lucky to call you friends. The support we give each other is so wonderful and I'm so glad to have met all of you! It was also great fun hearing my name(s) in the podcast. :secret:

It was a thrill running through on the Boardwalk and seeing the #cheerICOT team. I could hear the cowbells and Justin even before I rounded the corner! So exciting to have friends yelling for me! You are my inspiration.

I'm so excited for Christine and in awe of her! It was so fun cheering her on and then watching the live feed at the airport. I yelled out when I saw Christine cross the finish line and got some funny looks from the people around me. :blush:

Running is hard for me but the #runCOT and #cheerICOT folks are the best for sticking it out to the end.

On a related note: I can't tell you how much it meant to me to get a text from Christine during the Star Wars half, around mile 12, that she was waiting for me at the finish line! I am really slow, and take too many snap shots along the way, so I was extremely touched that she would wait that long. I was so tired but I actually picked up my pace when I got the text! As I entered the final stretch there she was (and Brian too who had finished days before me!) cheering me on! I was so excited as can be seen in my silly expression/antics on the video! Thank you, thank you for being there! It meant the world to me.

You all rock! Love the podcast! Go team! (I'm looking forward to cheering on Gary as he bikes through the Sierra Nevada.)

Oh, and Ian, your loan is due. :D

dpamac
01-30-2015, 08:28 AM
You all rock! Love the podcast! Go team! (I'm looking forward to cheering on Gary as he bikes through the Sierra Nevada.)

Oh, and Ian, your loan is due. :D

Fundraising has already begun and official training starts tomorrow! It's going to be training in freezing weather for a while, but by June I should be ready to ride 100 miles up those two mountains and around Tahoe (and Truckee, of course). I hear Spooner is the harder of the two climbs we'll be doing.

If anyone has any ideas on how to build a pair of Mickey ears on a bike helmet so that they don't fly off while I ride 40+ mph down the other side of a mountain, let me know!

Now, if Disney would do a bike event...or Saunter Disney. I could saunter a 10K. Leisurely Stroll Disney?

PirateLover
02-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Christine, girl, you had me crying too!!! I was with you all in spirit this year. We had such a blast last year. A little thing called "Having a baby" derailed us a bit this year. The great thing about having a running partner is that they inspire you to keep going and it's nice to have the company. I'm not sure I would've been able to do the 10k last year if my DH wasn't by my side. The flip side of that is when one of you stops, it's hard for the other to keep going! DH totally gained the sympathy lbs and stopped going to the gym because I stopped with the pregnancy. He also got a promotion at work and with the added hours and new baby it's been hard to find the time to really get back at it. I finally started making time this week to start training again and he hopes to follow suit. This podcast totally reminded me of how great it felt to cross that finish line and I want to do it again and again!

We are tentatively planning a big December trip next year, but if I end up going back to work full time we won't be able to do that trip. If that's the case, hopefully I can get away for the long weekend to do #CheerICOT. Even though I hope to be in fighting shape by then, I know I won't have a clue of what my schedule will be in time to sign up for the races. Another time. ;)

BriarRose0708
02-05-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm so sad I had to miss the weekend this time, especially since last year I had so much fun cheering and running. Christine is totally right - the cheers and love and unconditional support mean everything to a runner. It was my first half (or really major distance race for that matter) and I don't think it would have gone as well as it did without you all there on Main Street and again toward the finish at EPCOT. It kept me going. I am glad I was able to follow along online and through listening to the mini-cast recaps, I was cheering in spirit!

The running spirit is still there for me, I am signed up for a half marathon in June in my hometown and it's still a goal to do more runDisney eventually, particularly the Wine & Dine!

Ian
02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
We say it a lot (mostly to each other off the boards and such), but I really love the group of friends I've made here. They are all unique and special people and part of what you heard in my emotion on this podcast was me realizing just how lucky I am to be associated with them and for them to call me a friend.

I cannot tell you how emotional that trip was for me to the Give Kids the World complex. I thank Gary from the bottom of my heart for bringing me along with him and giving me the opportunity to reflect .....

GMRO
02-13-2015, 04:39 PM
I think Billy Crystal tweeted it best when everyone looked for his response when Robin Williams passed away...

"no words"

YUP! I've no words. BUT will say loved the PC and hearing about everyone's magical journey during this long cold weekend event.

AND following along on social media was great! It was moving to hear the stories, emotions and just all around LOVE for each other - runDisney - runIcot etc from ALL of you.

Congrats to everyone!!!

dpamac
02-16-2015, 09:07 AM
I cannot tell you how emotional that trip was for me to the Give Kids the World complex. I thank Gary from the bottom of my heart for bringing me along with him and giving me the opportunity to reflect .....

I spent Saturday slinging beer and hurricanes at the STL Mardi Gras (second largest in the US, for whatever it's worth) for fundraising tips with Kailie's mom and dad. They were so appreciative of us taking time out of our day to go visit and honor their daughter and the staff at Give Kids the World. The smiles on their faces a they told me stories of their family's truly once-in-a-lifetime trip made our excursion absolutely worth it. It also made me doubly committed to raising the money for LLS to help families like theirs and Mel and Sam's.

To repeat what I learned from a comic book..."Good isn't something you are. It's something you do." I think that sums up the people of INTERCOT pretty well.

Yungbuck73
02-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Finally got to listen to this podcast. First we are so sad we werent able to be there for the full day (we had that silly cruise booked)
We were following along Christine's mile marker commentary. We also were watching the live broadcast of the finish line on the ship.
This year, like last year, was amazing. Like was said in the podcast, all the energy we gave to the runners was giving back to us 10 fold. It is always so cool to see people wear their medals all day and to congratulate them, their eyes light up and are so happy.
Next year, we will be there again and I will be doing the 10K I deferred from this year and we will be cheering for the other races. No cruise booked. Lol.
Thanks to Melanie and Christine for bringing this to Intercot and again thanks to John Y for bringing us all together.
Let's all make sure that #runICOT and #cheerICOT are bigger and better in 2016.
Love you all.