PDA

View Full Version : a little vent

minnie04
01-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Ok so, I was telling some friends about my last trip and how much fun it was etc. etc. and one of them who is also a AP holder said "did you ride seven dwarfs?" and I said " no there were no fast passes for the whole weekend" to her response " see that's why I grab up fast passes even if I’m NOT going a certain weekend. JUST IN CASE WE DECIDE TO GO" I think she could tell by my face I wasn’t happy to hear that. I mean REALLY your grabbing fast passes to rides and you aren't even going to be there!! :mad: I did say something about it in conversation how I thought it was wrong to do that. Only to hear "well you never know we MIGHT decide to go last minute and I wouldn't want to wait in line" OK here is the thing I get it that the passes run out fast duh!! Because of people like this... Now that being said what can be done about it?? I thought maybe they should only allow you to get certain fast passes at the kiosk in the park (for the very popular rides) this is so not fair to the people who are paying to be there and have to miss out or wait a heck of a long time to ride. Or since they know how many fast passes were given out for each ride maybe after the time window is gone release more fast passes. I do know people do this for the resorts book and then cancel, but that to me is different given the amount of rooms they have. I just hate when they say everything is booked, but it’s really not (another subject) anyway I wonder if they will ever try to get a grip on this. I just think once the word gets around (if it hasn’t already) everyone will try and do this. And we will have the whole DAC all over again people abusing the system..

BrerGnat
01-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Well does she discard them if she doesn't go? Itwouldn't be that bad if she remembers to do so.

Although, I admit I am guilty of having FP scheduled and then not actually making it to the park and forgetting to cancel them. Stuff happens sometimes and I feel this is one of the drawbacks to the system. But honestly, it is a problem Disney created.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-22-2015, 01:32 PM
But honestly, it is a problem Disney created.

This is the challenge. You have to book something "in case", or you'd never get them day-of. But, if you never use them, others don't get to use them either.

Disney has created quite the monster!

Hammer
01-22-2015, 02:04 PM
. But honestly, it is a problem Disney created.

This is the challenge. You have to book something "in case", or you'd never get them day-of. But, if you never use them, others don't get to use them either.

Disney has created quite the monster!

At least with FP+, you have the option of cancelling a fastpass you get and decide not to use. With the old FP, if you picked up a Fastpass at 10:30 that had a window of 4:00-5:00, but say you decided to either go back early or stay longer in the pool and don't make your fastpass. That FP could never be put back into rotation.

Sadly, regardless of how FP+ ends up, there will always be people gaming the system.

PopPhan
01-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Careful....Next thing you know you will have to secure your FP+ options with a credit card. If you don't cancel and don't use them, you get charged $10/FP+ selection.

PopPhan
01-22-2015, 02:11 PM
At least with FP+, you have the option of cancelling a fastpass you get and decide not to use. With the old FP, if you picked up a Fastpass at 10:30 that had a window of 4:00-5:00, but say you decided to either go back early or stay longer in the pool and don't make your fastpass. That FP could never be put back into rotation.

Sadly, regardless of how FP+ ends up, there will always be people gaming the system.

But, under the old paper FP system, you would at least be at the park in question. AP holders scheduling FP+ when they do not even know if they will be going or not, is just wrong.

Hammer
01-22-2015, 02:18 PM
But, under the old paper FP system, you would at least be at the park in question. AP holders scheduling FP+ when they do not even know if they will be going or not, is just wrong.

Oh, I agree it is wrong, but I think if Disney thought of a way to try and stop this practice, people would just think of some way around it.

PopPhan
01-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Oh, I agree it is wrong, but I think if Disney thought of a way to try and stop this practice, people would just think of some way around it.

Sad, but true.

Simple solution, and I was not being facetious in my earlier statement, would be to have anyone without a valid reservation lock in their FP+ with a credit card. If they show up AND USE THEM there would be no charges placed against the card. If they do not show up OR do not use them or cancel them, they would be charged a fee for non-use. Not an elegant solution, but it might stop some of the abuse of the system.

VacationDisney
01-22-2015, 03:31 PM
In the "old" days when we got the paper FastPasses, and we didn't use them , we gave them away. It was easy:thumbsup:

The new FP+ not so easy to just give them away. I'd hate to see being charged for them if you didn't use them. Last visit my husband was not feeling well so we left the park and went back to the resort. He got some much needed rest. I went to the pool and did some reading. We missed our FP+ ride, but is one to do?

Everyone knows you never know when someone in your party doesn't feel well, or the kids are beyond calming down, or allergies kick in before the medicine does, or that sausage you had at breakfast did not agree with you, or the heat is getting to you, or the crowds are just overwhelming and your day at the park is miserable. Disney and other people will have to understand that "life" happens. FP+ or not .....life goes on!

Goofy4TheWorld
01-22-2015, 03:36 PM
I say hakuna matata!

I know I will be in the minority here, but there is a point where you have to look out for yourself, and given the system as it now stands, I don't blame any AP holder for securing "just in case" FP+ selections. Whether that be for a "local" who rarely knows for sure when they may go, or an out of town AP holder who thinks they may get a last-minute trip in on short notice, Disney has created a system that fails to "hold back" any slots for last-minute or day-of bookings, thus something has got to give for AP holders.

I suspect many local AP holders do this regularly, and I am sure most of them release them once they know for sure they don't need them, and so I am content with accepting that the world does not operate in only black and white and that it's not going to affect things much at all. Even if this became a huge problem for Disney, I am confident that they would start building into their formulas an allowance for no shows, as I am sure there has never been a shortage of people standing in the FP line to keep capacity at its maximum.

For every thread about how awful this practice may strike some people, there will be another thread gripping about how someone cannot secure any FPs for a last minute trip they scheduled. My two cents is that it all comes out in the wash.

dnickels
01-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Keep in mind too that AP holders can only get 7 days of FP reservations in any 30 day rolling window (at least I think that is still the current limit) so it's not like tens of thousands of us are locking up every available FP.

In addition, by this time FP has been out long enough that Disney has got to have a pretty good idea of the percentage of FP that actually get used vs. those that are booked. We don't get to see it but I'd be shocked if they haven't taken a certain number of no-shows into account when setting the number of FP to be given out for a particular ride.

Granted, we'll only ever hear anecdotal stories and we won't ever get actual numbers from Disney but I'd be shocked if this is as big of an impact as it's being made out to be. And really, if I only care to make a FP for Soarin' then don't use my two for Captain EO and Figment I should be charged money for not using those other two? First World Problems I guess. :D

minnie04
01-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Trust me I know it’s not the end of the world and you can always wait the line, but I guess I’m just one of those people that feel for others. At least with the old fast pass when you didn't use it you could hand it off to someone near the ride. I just hope that if you are making FP+ selections and can't make it you are cancelling them so someone else will have a chance to enjoy the ride. By her holding those passes 5 people didn’t get a chance to ride 3 diferent rides that day. Times that by thousands who “might be” doing it every day It does add up :mickey:

It's never going to be controlled SO PLEASE JUST CANCEL IF YOU AREN'T GOING!!!! THANK YOU... :D

MNNHFLTX
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I agree it doesn't seem right that someone would l get FP's "just in case" they felt like going. And yes, one would hope that they would follow through on cancelling them if they don't go. But the responsibility for this situation falls primarily on Disney, IMO. It is their system and the way they created it. And that's who I would complain to.

WiltonJohn
01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
The "it's all about me" attitude. Pure and simple.

Goes right along with the drunks in Epcot at the Food and Wine Festival, and getting run over by strollers that are 'headed somewhere important'.

You aren't going to fix it. Disney did not create it. It is societal.

best,

................john

EeyoresBestFriend
01-22-2015, 10:41 PM
The "it's all about me" attitude. Pure and simple.

Goes right along with the drunks in Epcot at the Food and Wine Festival, and getting run over by strollers that are 'headed somewhere important'.

You aren't going to fix it. Disney did not create it. It is societal.

best,

................john

I have to say that that I agree with you, John. It seems more like a case of 'I probably don't want it but you definitely can't have it.' Kinda sad really. . .

Very little consideration of others very much like the old Dining situations. Bugs the heck out of me because I only book what I can use - 1 dinner rez, and the FP on the days I know. The rest are available HOPEFULLY for some folks who are going on that ride or that dinner spot for the first time!

And yes, I am an AP holder.

LVT
02-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Do the FP+ no-shows shorten the line for the stand-by people?
It is not like an unused airplane seat.

texas211
03-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Let's go back in time to: NO FP of any kind. Problem solved..

If only that would bring back Horizons and Mr. Toad.