PDA

View Full Version : Is Ohana's pretty much the same as the luau??

DisneyWorld1971
01-21-2015, 11:41 AM
I have done the luau before and hated it. The food was not for me at all. I see a lot of people love Ohana's but it seems to be the same food from what I can see. I am not a pork fan and steak is so so. I love shrimp but still not sure this place is worth it.

DNS
01-21-2015, 12:27 PM
We did Ohana's last time, but that was two years ago. I do remember some similar food. The atmosphere is completely different. I remember fried chicken, which we do not eat. I am remembering the food at the Luau being better than Ohana's. For us, Ohana's is a place for the great atmosphere and not so much the food.

DisneyWorld1971
01-21-2015, 12:47 PM
oh ok. Well I am looking for good food over entertainment etc. Thats kinda what I was thinking Ohana's would be like.

buzznwoodysmom
01-21-2015, 02:14 PM
We didn't care for the food at the luau at all. We have never had a bad meal at Ohanas. We would pick Ohana over the luau any time. However if you are not a big meat eater then this is probably not the meal for you. Also there has been word that they are doing away with the shrimp. Not sure it will be to your liking, OP.

DisneyWorld1971
01-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Wow ok.. Well I am not a big meat fan for sure. Love shellfish but if they take out the shrimp then that does not work. Thanks!! I guess I need to figure out a different place to eat that night..

KylesMom
01-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Wow ok.. Well I am not a big meat fan for sure. Love shellfish but if they take out the shrimp then that does not work. Thanks!! I guess I need to figure out a different place to eat that night..

Perhaps Cape May Café dinner buffet in The Beach Club Resort may fit the bill if you had not planned on going into a park that evening. It is similarly priced to Ohana. They have many different seafoods to choose from, and also have a wide array of other dining options on the buffet to select from.

PopPhan
01-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I am NOT going to be a happy camper in April if 'Ohana only has beef and pork skewers!!!! Might have to change my reservation if this is confirmed.

DisneyWorld1971
01-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Perhaps Cape May Café dinner buffet in The Beach Club Resort may fit the bill if you had not planned on going into a park that evening. It is similarly priced to Ohana. They have many different seafoods to choose from, and also have a wide array of other dining options on the buffet to select from.

Thanks!! I was looking at Cape May's and it sounded pretty good. the menu's I find are kinda hard to tell what all they have. I guess because its a buffet it varies somewhat.

DisneyWorld1971
01-22-2015, 08:39 AM
I am NOT going to be a happy camper in April if 'Ohana only has beef and pork skewers!!!! Might have to change my reservation if this is confirmed.

I agree with you!!! Boooo to no shrimp!!:(

mydisneygirls
01-22-2015, 09:11 AM
I too will not be happy if they remove the shrimp. That's one of the main reasons I eat there!!!

Does anyone know when this might happen? I've googled it but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Zippy 1
01-22-2015, 01:48 PM
We ate at Cape May Cafe on our last trip. They have lots of seafood choices. Just think about a Maine clambake. Clams, muscles, clam chowder, peel and eat shrimp just to name a few. We really enjoyed the assortment and will be going back in the future as long as the do not change the menu! Give it a try!

tjstrike
01-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Several restaurants through out Disney have excellent seafood : Fulton's (DTD), Narcoosee's (GF), Captain's grill (YC), flying fish (BW), Citricos (GF).

etibbetts
01-27-2015, 11:01 AM
I tried O'hana for the first time this past September. I loved it. I am not a pork fan, so I only ate the steak and shrimp skewers, but I was already pretty filled up from the other stuff. The wings were so good! Even the lettuce wraps that I had only heard negative things about were awesome. To me it was well worth the money. I'll be going back in September on my next trip. I hope the rumor about the shrimp is wrong, that would be a disappointment.

RavsRuleDisney!
01-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Agree with above post that Cape May Buffet would be a good choice. One of my faves. Casual, nautical ambiance and plenty of good food choices.

As for O'Hanas - big sigh. :( I would definitely choose it over the Luau. But as a repeat O'Hana diner for many years now and comparing what the did offer back in the day and where they are now I may have to look elsewhere (losing the shrimp, which rumor has it, would be the final dagger for me). Kona would be my future POLY choice. Whatever you decide ENJOY!! ;)

SueQ
01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
We loved Ohana's when we went last year. But probably won't do it again on our next trip. I thought I heard they did away with the chicken skewers and my husband was pleased with that.

WDW-Deano-Beast
01-31-2015, 08:57 AM
I also wasn't impressed with the meal at the Luau however I really enjoyed the meal at O'hanas. I tend to over eat there while trying to sample everything. I make a point to book ADR's over to the Beach Club to dine at Cape May's for my seafood fix. They have a great buffet with a little of something for all taste.

DisneyWorld1971
02-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks you guys!! I think I am going to try Cape May's. I am looking at Captains Grill too. Seems like a mix of seafood and other items to pick from at both places.:thumbsup: