PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Visit

TIGGER17179
01-20-2015, 05:37 PM
What is the best time to visit in order to see the décor without a huge crowd? My mom wants to go to see the décor and my husband doesn't do well with large crowd. Maybe the week after thanksgiving?

faline
01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
There is no time that is totally devoid of people. Relatively speaking, early December is still a good time to go without th heaviest of crowds.

tjstrike
01-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Any of the 1st 3 weeks of December I think would be fine.

catasaid
01-21-2015, 08:36 AM
We were just there the week before Christmas (Dec 15 -19) and the crowds were very manageable. Free dining was also offered and the weather was great. It was a great time to visit...got to see all the holiday decorations.

SurferStitch
01-21-2015, 11:50 AM
We try to end our trips by December 19-20th or so. Crowds build very quickly and heavily from that point on, especially if Christmas falls somewhere around mid-week... a lot of people come the weekend before and stay the whole week (which we learned the hard way one time).

TIGGER17179
01-22-2015, 05:46 PM
When do they start doing the Christmas decorations and activities? What is the weather like first week in December?

tjstrike
01-22-2015, 09:38 PM
When do they start doing the Christmas decorations and activities? What is the weather like first week in December?

Christmas decorations go up after Thanksgiving, weather is "as always" unpredictable but usually high 70's, maybe low 80's.

TheGarretts
01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
We were there 12/5 to 12/16/2014. Most of the time the temp was ok days, but very cold nights. The temp was dropping by 4pm and into the 40s by 8ish. I think it was a fluke to be that cold that long.
Crowds were pretty bad for those of us that do not like crowds, Friday to Monday. Tuesday - Thursdays were not bad.

Maddie
01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
We actually go first week of January and you still see all the decorations... Low crowd levels but it doesn't have the build up excitement as going before Christmas. However, the decorations are still lovely to look at!

TIGGER17179
01-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone.. I may look at the week after thanksgiving and go from there.

Zippy 1
01-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Early December is when we go. We find the crowds easily managed and get to get in the holiday spirit early

TIGGER17179
01-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Can you use the FP for the Christmas party or do you need it then?

faline
01-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Can you use the FP for the Christmas party or do you need it then?

Fast passes are not available during party hours.

magicofdisney
01-28-2015, 01:46 PM
The week following Thanksgiving used to be our go to week for our winter trip (winter for us, anyway). The last couple of years, we were hard pressed to find our preferences during that time and ended up going the week or two before Thanksgiving. Christmas decorations actually begin going up right after the last Halloween party but aren't complete until after Thanksgiving. At least last year, the Osbourne lights show began before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Disneylovescompany
01-29-2015, 12:35 PM
The week after Thanksgiving/First week of December. Crowds are manageable and at times very small, but, the Christmas events are taking place.

TIGGER17179
01-30-2015, 11:21 AM
The week following Thanksgiving used to be our go to week for our winter trip (winter for us, anyway). The last couple of years, we were hard pressed to find our preferences during that time and ended up going the week or two before Thanksgiving. Christmas decorations actually begin going up right after the last Halloween party but aren't complete until after Thanksgiving. At least last year, the Osbourne lights show began before the Thanksgiving holiday.

So you think that the week after thanksgiving would be good to go since we are planning way ahead? My mom wants to see the christmas decorations and I want to make sure most are up when we go. I've read that the taping of the Christmas parade is the first week of December and the Pop Warner and Cheerleading competition is the 2nd week. My mom will be 76 and not able to stand in super longs lines and my husband doesn't like large crowds either so I'm trying to find the best for both and see the most.

The Dad
02-01-2015, 07:49 PM
We prefer first 2 weeks in December! Relatively low crowds and almost always great weather! We started going in '94 when the kids were 5 and 3 and have visited many times since (during the same time period). I will say however, that the current Christmas decorations (2013) absolutely pale in comparison to years ago....take for instance the WL .....the trees in the median leading up to the Lodge used to be totally decked out in twinkling tree lights and the courtyard was decorated in like manner......but no more! Same with Epcot and MK. Unfortunately, it's a sad commentary on cutbacks in the name of lower overhead.

TIGGER17179
02-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks.. I'm going to try for the 2nd week in December. I'm hoping it will be a good choice but really who cares you are at Disney right? LOL

nicholsbears
02-12-2015, 04:24 PM
It is indeed the most magical time to be at WDW. My wife and I went the first week of Dec (2014) and it was not overcrowded. This year (2014) is was quite cold at night...defintiely bring long pants to stash in a locker if you're staying all day. Be sure to get tics for Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party and visit all the Deluxe hotels to see their Christmas displays (especially Grand Floridian).
The last week of Nov. is when all the Pop Warner football teams and cheerleaders visit so sometimes you end up in a line behind them.:santa3:

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
02-17-2015, 12:21 PM
The 2nd week of December is great - we have gone twice during that time. Both trips were wonderful! Decorations at the deluxe resorts are beautiful. Make sure you see them. It's nice to take a break from the parks (sit and ride) and see the decorations. My favorites are the Gingerbread House at GF and the chocolate carousel (with hidden Mickeys) at the one of the resorts by EPCOT. Sorry I can't remember which one but it is BEAUTIFUL. December is our favorite time to go - just not so easy to take the kids out of school though. Have a great trip!

brownie
02-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Going down during Thanksgiving and the first week of December is one of our favorite times to go. We've stayed out of the parks until Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend when we've gone during this time. It'll be busy but not as crowded that first week in December and you'll get all the Christmas decorations.