PDA

View Full Version : Starting to train....what was I thinking?

Disney4us2
01-20-2015, 05:32 PM
I was so inspired by our ICOT runners and being on the cheer squad. While cheering for the 10K I saw a lady with a walker. Ok....I figure if she could do it, maybe I can too. I can't post the pic of that lady, maybe one of the mods can. She is really what got me thinking about doing this.

Today I walked at Magic Kingdom. Boy, am I glad there is a while before the next January marathon. I am not in shape at all, but that's what training is for...right. I'm sure I did at least a mile. I went as far as Pirates and opted to take the train back to a Main Street.

I know there are devices to help train like fit bit. Is there anything that measures distance? I don't want a plain pedometer. I am aiming for the 5K and depending how I do before sign up, th 10K.

I will also be walking in my neighborhood. Any advice?

Mickey'sGirl
01-20-2015, 06:18 PM
I just wanted to congratulate you on taking the fort steps! Well done!

brownie
01-20-2015, 07:34 PM
I use Runkeeper on my phone to track my training. I used to use Google My Tracks but it became unreliable.

Kairi_7378
01-20-2015, 07:40 PM
First of all, congratulations for taking those first steps towards training for your 10K!

I am a relatively new runner, training for my first marathon in November. I have been using a Fit Bit One for the past 2 years to track my steps and distance, but now I use it to track my running workouts too. I find that it is very accurate. As a bonus, the Fit Bit is one of the many devices that synch with My Fitness Pal, which I use to track my calories.

Best of luck with your training. I know that watching the posts from Cheer ICOT made me want to sign up for next year's marathon weekend!

WDWParrothead
01-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Congratulations on your decision to run! I did the Wine and Dine Half this November and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had! A runDisney race is one of the best fitness motivators...you'll have a blast! I use a FitBit Force and love it. Very durable (it lasted through the monsoon that was the W&D Half this year!). Best of luck in your training and just take it one step at a time!!!

badkitty
01-21-2015, 09:23 AM
So proud of you, Marci! Good for you. You will have a blast!

I use the Fitbit One to track daily movement and the Nike+ running app for my training runs. Both are relatively accurate.

Good luck to you!

AgentC
01-21-2015, 09:55 AM
That is awesome, Marci.

I have an iPhone and have used several apps on it to help me.

For actual 5K training I have used C25K which is a couch to 5k training program. It is set up to teach you to run but it could be adapted It does not track distance.

For distance tracking I have use Nike+, Map My Run and Jog Log. They are pretty accurate give or take a 1/10 of a mile or so. Nike+ and Map My Run are free. Jog Log costs 1.99. I'd try a few and see which one is easiest for you to use.

cer
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
I just started this week using the Map My Run app. It's free and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. It talks to you at each mile telling your distance and pace.

NewDVCowner
01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Congratulations on your goal Marci! The runDisney events are what motivate me to get moving. My sister and I decided to run the full marathon next year.

I use Run Keeper to track my distance on my iPhone. I've used Map My Run before, too. The only problem that I've found with them is that they rely on GPS - which is great because it's most places, however if you're on a treadmill it's not going to show how far you've gone. I've also tried to run a few times in Yosemite and there's no GPS there, so if you're in a place that's more secluded then it won't pick it up.

If you want to run I'd also recommend the Couch to 5k training program. There are several free versions you can download. They even have the next step - a 5k to 10k program.

Disney4us2
01-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement. I got a pedometer that does steps,miles and kilometer. It is a cheap one from Walmart and doesn't work great. No idea how much walking today ay DHS. Doing much better today though.

Disoriented
01-21-2015, 07:47 PM
You can absolutely accomplish a 5k by next year.

The key to any successful endurance event is consistency in training and increasing your mileage very gradually.

If you can routinely find 3 to 4 days a week to train you will do great.

If you can find a friend or two to train with, it will become very easy.

If your desire is to actually run part or all of the 5K I strongly recommend starting with a Jeff Galloway program. There may even be a group in your area.

As for distance tracking my favorite tool is the GPS watch. I use a Garmin but there are several other brands that will do the trick.

Good luck in your endeavor and above all else...have fun.

brownie
01-21-2015, 08:53 PM
The only problem that I've found with them is that they rely on GPS - which is great because it's most places, however if you're on a treadmill it's not going to show how far you've gone.

Runkeeper has a stop watch mode. Most treadmills will give you a distance and Runkeeper allows you to add the distance when you stop the activity.