PDA

View Full Version : Family of 5

jennyteb
01-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Hoping to go to Disney at the end of August. We are a family of five and in the past we have stayed in 2 adjoining rooms at POP. Considering upgrading and staying at port Orleans riverside. What would you do? Any advice would be great!

Pirate Granny
01-18-2015, 02:44 PM
I would upgrade or try Art of Animation Suite. Whichever is cheapest

DebK
01-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Don't forget that Caribbean Beach is now an option for a family of 5.....

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Hoping to go to Disney at the end of August. We are a family of five and in the past we have stayed in 2 adjoining rooms at POP. Considering upgrading and staying at port Orleans riverside. What would you do? Any advice would be great!

We are heading down in four days, staying at POR and are a family of 5, kids are 12-10-8. Two queen beds and a pull down Murphy bed. When POR went thru their refurb in 2012, I think they lost storage space, and it can be tight. But we love it there. We bring down one of those collapsable sweater hangers that ends up unfolding to 5 squares and hangs from the coat hanger. Great for socks, undewear, t-shirts etc.

We love Riverside, has so much to offer and imho, has the best pool of the mods.

As another mentioned, CBR just opened up to families of 5.

Goofster
01-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Riverside is a great resort, I would upgrade from POP if you're considering it.

cer
01-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Port Orleans Riverside.

Can't beat Yehaa Bob's performances at the River Roost and the boat ride to Downtown Disney.

Love it there...

Whatever you decide, it will be a great trip!

AgentC
01-20-2015, 02:31 PM
I assume you are considering getting one room at POR since they sleep 5 instead of the 2 you current get at Pop?

I really like the moderate resorts and POR is lovely. I just stayed there for marathon weekend. However two things to consider is how much does having the second bathroom mean to you? You will lose that if you move to one room. You will also have more people in less space and lose one bed.

If none of that matters to you, I would definitely upgrade but if you do things like put the kids to sleep in one room while the adults stay up in the other it may not work for you.

Tigerinvestigator
01-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Check out the WDW Dolphin prices. Chances are you can get a much better deal, with easy walking distance to Epcot and DHS, boat service to Epcot, DHS, and the Epcot resorts, and a bigger room with much better beds. The views can be spectacular with the resort view. We were once Disney purists until we stayed at the Dolphin....now it is our home away from home at least once a month! They have Disney guest services, the disney store, and include extra magic hours.:thumbsup:

azcavalier
01-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Have never stayed at the Dolphin, but I would look at that. Otherwise, definitely Port Orleans Riverside. Great resort. Just remember that only Alligator Bayou sleeps five, so you won't be in one of the Mansions.

iheartdisney
01-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Pricing out your options is a good idea but.....

Consider the importance of having two bathrooms at your disposal.

We love Port Orleans Riverside for our family of 5 but whenever we do an adjoining room option someone always comments on how great it is to have two bathrooms.

tjstrike
01-22-2015, 09:57 PM
How does room size at POR compare to a studio at VWL that hold 5 ? Looks like it would only be a couple hundred dollars more to upgrade to deluxe studio by renting DVC points.

hope2survive
03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Never stayed there but the Fort Wilderness Cabins look to be a good option.

I have same issue and family members are older now and can't exactly share beds and such. This is what drove me to finally stay off site and rent a whole 3 bedroom condo for price of about a value on property and like 5 minutes from DD.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
I love POR, especially in the warmer weather, since the pools are quite good!

How old are the kids? It will be a bit tight with 5 in the room, and I'd worry about only having one bathroom, could make getting ready a long process.

But, it is a lovely resort, and there are slides at the main pool (at POR and FQ), so that is a deal-maker for my DD.

disney_daddy
03-10-2015, 01:33 PM
2 things for Riverside, Taking boat to Downtown Disney and the piano man is awesome.

mydisneygirls
03-11-2015, 11:15 AM
For something differnet, I would go for POR! We've stayed there before and liked it.

Gator
03-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Don't forget that Caribbean Beach is now an option for a family of 5.....

Hold on.....what? I take a little time off for the West Coast parks and CBR upgrades to hold 5 people! When did this happen? Are there any pics or write-ups I can read about? Thanks. This is good news. Perhaps we can find a way to get back to WDW again.

buzznwoodysmom
03-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Hold on.....what? I take a little time off for the West Coast parks and CBR upgrades to hold 5 people! When did this happen? Are there any pics or write-ups I can read about? Thanks. This is good news. Perhaps we can find a way to get back to WDW again.

Yes! CBR now has rooms that sleep 5! We are a family of 4, but I am happy that larger families now have another affordable option. My SIL and her family of 5 love POR, but they are kinda burnt out on it. They are looking forward to getting to branch out a bit on their next trip.

You should be able to find some pics by doing a search. The rooms have a sort of Polynesian feel. They aren't as bright as they were before. I've seen several complaints about that, but I find the rooms look much better now. I like the cleaner, updated look much better than those tacky, dirty bedspreads that were replaced.

AndrewJackson
03-13-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty sure 1 room at POR is cheaper than 1 rooms at POP.

POR is our favorite moderate. We have stayed there many times. The only issue to consider is bathrooms. I am not sure how old your kids are, but will you be able to get ready with only 1 bathroom? Just something to consider.

brownie
03-14-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure 1 room at POR is cheaper than 1 rooms at POP.

I think you meant to say 2 rooms at Pop?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
03-16-2015, 01:51 PM

When I was researching our late January trip last December, for the Stay-Play-Dine offer, CBR was not pulling up for us as an option, period, rack rate or SPD (we are family of 5).

When I started looking again in January to finalize our trip, CBR came up as an option. We were able to lock into POR, which is our favorite, so we went with that, but pretty certain January 2015 is when they started allowing families of 5. I don't know how much of the resort is open to a family of 5, but I am somewhat guessing that it is like POR, where only certain sections are available.

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2015, 04:06 PM
When I was researching our late January trip last December, for the Stay-Play-Dine offer, CBR was not pulling up for us as an option, period, rack rate or SPD (we are family of 5).

When I started looking again in January to finalize our trip, CBR came up as an option. We were able to lock into POR, which is our favorite, so we went with that, but pretty certain January 2015 is when they started allowing families of 5. I don't know how much of the resort is open to a family of 5, but I am somewhat guessing that it is like POR, where only certain sections are available.

From everything I have read so far it looks like CBR has added the rooms that sleep 5 just a little differently than POR. Instead of all the rooms for 5 being located in particular sections, it appears all sections will have a mix of rooms that sleep 4 and 5. The only exception, so far, is thought to be the pirate rooms. There is no word that these will sleep 5. Actually from what I have read the pirate rooms also are not getting queen beds. At least that's the word so far.

Gator
03-18-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't know how much of the resort is open to a family of 5, but I am somewhat guessing that it is like POR, where only certain sections are available.

It really wouldn't matter. Anything is better than the Alligator Bayou section. Stayed there on our first trip and we've never been back to POR for fear of being shoved into that section. Exactly why we've ditched WDW for DL the last few years. But CBR would be a big pull for us. Now, will they offer Free Dining at that resort? A question to be answered in time. I'm betting heavily against it.