PDA

View Full Version : Jiko - worth the expense?

DisneyLove
01-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Hello all!

We're going down to WDW in a few weeks, and I'm considering trying for an ADR at Jiko. It's someplace that's always intrigued me (we've never been), but boy - it's pricey! We do like different flavors and trying new food, but weren't thrilled Boma (I know how much love it gets). Could you share your opinions/thoughts on Jiko? Have you eaten there and loved it? Hated it? Liked the food, but didn't find it worth the cost, and would have preferred somewhere else?

Thanks!

joonyer
01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
If you like exotic and "different" food. they I'd say go for it. You'll enjoy the experience. On the other hand if you are not into that kind of food, then I'd spend the $$ for a signature dining experience at Artist Point or California Grill instead. You didn't say why you didn't really like Boma, but if it was because of the "different" kinds of food, then that's a clue. If your Boma experience was not great for other reasons, service, food quality, etc. then I think you'll find no such issues at Jiko.

Fangorn
01-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Our experience at Jiko has been exceptional. The food, while very different from standard American fare, is still largely recognizable and very good. Service has always been wonderful and our last server, Andrew, was not only very knowledgeable and attentive, but a lot of fun. (He received a well-deserved, and large tip).

Jiko vies with California Grill as our favorite restaurant at WDW (kind of depends which one we were at last :)).

Price-wise, it can be expensive, but no more so than any other Signature Dinning venue. But I do think the value is higher than some other places.

Tip: if at all possible, try the Tibs as an appetizer. Absolutely incredible.

Steve

NewDVCowner
01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
I enjoyed it but felt the two table service credits was too much for it. If I was to do it again I'd pay out of pocket, however I'd recommend Saana instead of Jiko.

Maleficent's Dad
01-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Jiko is one of the finest dining establishments in all of WDW. It is excellent.

We don't care for Boma. I, for the life of me, can't understand all the love that places like Boma and other mass produced buffets get... but that's just my opinion, and I know I'll be chastised for it.
But Jiko is something else. The food is well prepared; the service is excellent. Other than the location, we far prefer it over the California Grill (we enjoy the Cali Grill, but find it highly overrated!).

While there are some different flavors for the adventurous eaters, they had no problem accommodating my childrens' palates. I believe on last visit, they were able to grill up a rather plain filet for my son.

pox24
01-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Worth every penny:thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-16-2015, 06:38 PM
If you were not thrilled with Boma, I would advise against it, actually. Jiko is excellent, and I love it, but it is not my favorite of the Signature Dining, and it does have a very similar flavor palate to Boma.

dlpmikki
01-17-2015, 05:18 AM
I'm another one that doesn't like Boma but loves Jiko. I like the food, atmosphere and service.

MNNHFLTX
01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Hello all!

We're going down to WDW in a few weeks, and I'm considering trying for an ADR at Jiko. It's someplace that's always intrigued me (we've never been), but boy - it's pricey! We do like different flavors and trying new food, but weren't thrilled Boma (I know how much love it gets). Could you share your opinions/thoughts on Jiko? Have you eaten there and loved it? Hated it? Liked the food, but didn't find it worth the cost, and would have preferred somewhere else?

Thanks!What was it about Boma that you didn't like? That would influence my advice to you. If you don't care for the spices and sauces that were used at Boma, then Jiko might not be for you.But if Boma was just too loud or the food buffet was unappealing, you might like the quiet elegance of Jiko. I agree it's pricey, but the meal we ate there was exceptional, as was the ambience and service.

VacationDisney
01-18-2015, 08:44 PM
We LOVE Jiko and aren't fond of Boma at all. These two restaurants are like night and day.

Give it a try. Don't think you'll be disappointed:thumbsup:

DisneyLove
01-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! We weren't keen on Boma I think mostly because of the buffet style (yes, we knew that going in), but it just seemed so hyped up and then we left feeling that the food was OK, but not stellar in terms of quality, not necessarily the flavors.

So based on the fact that there are folks who seem to be in a similar boat - not huge fans of Boma, but big fans of Jiko - I think we're going to give it a try. Thank you all!