PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have You Stayed Away!

DisneyEpcotDad
01-08-2015, 06:26 PM
After visiting DW for around the 35th time in 24 years, I have vowed to wait until 2016 to return. Have any of you taken the "time out" pledge now or in the past? If in the past, how long did you stay away?? I'm staying away to allow the changes at the parks and DD to take effect so I will be wowed when I do return. I'm sure I'll miss the Magic. :mickey:

magicofdisney
01-08-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure I could be a willing participant in that challenge... ;)

faline
01-08-2015, 06:41 PM
In the past, we've gone 3 years or so before trips mainly because that was all finances would allow. In recent years, we've visited every year, sometimes more than once. However, at this point in time, I have no plans to visit Disney World at any time in 2015 - just have different plans for the year.

Kairi_7378
01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
We did back to back visits in 2011 and 2012 and at the end of the trip, my husband and I decided that an annual trip was a little too frequent for our family. The last two years we have been moving and dealing with illnesses in our family, so this is the first year that we are seriously considering going back. Kind of nervous about the many construction projects though.

VacationDisney
01-08-2015, 07:31 PM
The longest we have stayed away was 5 years. Kids in school, tuition, roof over head, food on the table. You get the picture:blush:

That was years ago. Now we visit every year or two:party:

buzznwoodysmom
01-08-2015, 08:07 PM
For the past 3-4 years or so I have vowed to "take a year away" from Disney. I was never able to stay away....until last year.

We did not visit WDW at all in 2014. We did 2 big trips in 2013 and just felt burnt out on Disney! I know, I know, hard to imagine. Our trips for the past several years were something like every 6 to 9 months. At this time the last trip to Disney for us was 1 year and 2 months ago, and we have no current trips booked at this time. The last time we skipped a year in Disney was in 2005 I think.

Looking at possibly going in early summer with my kids while DH has a military obligation, but haven't booked anything yet. I have to say I hadn't been this excited about a possible trip in a very long time. So I must have needed this break!

1DisneyNut
01-09-2015, 08:40 AM
We were going 2 or 3 times each year up until the recession. We cut it down to 1 time per year and skipped 2010 due to budget constraints. We skipped 2014 and don't have any plans for 2015 because of all the changes. I just cannot get myself to deal with all of the pre-scheduling. We used to take quick long weekend trips but it requires way to much planning now to make those happen. We haven't even hardly eaten in sit down restaurants onsite since the started the 180 day ADR's and now you have to do FP's 60 days out.....I hate it.

We have been going to other destinations more the past 5 years or so and have had some really good trips. One of the best was to Washington DC for 4 days, Busch Gardens and Williamsburg for a couple days and then Virginia Beach to wrap up the trip.

PopPhan
01-09-2015, 09:22 AM
My last visit was early December 2013..... My next visit will be late April/early May 2015......

That is about as long of a gap between visits as I have had since I first started visiting in 2003.

(NOTE: I just looked at my signature on this and saw a big gap 2011 - 2013.....Divorce proceedings kept me away.)

Scallywag
01-09-2015, 04:24 PM
4 years for us. Not going this year, but already wishing we were. June 2016 sounds like the next trip.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-10-2015, 02:00 PM
The last three trips have all been for big celebrations - Hubs and I's 20th anniversary, DD's HS graduation and in June for youngest DS's HS graduation.

Finances and other events (children getting married, etc) are usually our factors in why our timing seems to be every three or so years.

RunDMV
01-11-2015, 07:52 AM
I havent been since december 2012. During that trip, they did a computer change over and their reservations system was unaccessible. Even though our vacation was pre-paid, we were forced to pay out of pocket for a day and a half until the computers came back up. At that point, it took about an hour and a half to work out our reimbursement.

Shortly thereafter, the whole FP+ thing got rolling, and we have been out ever since. Nevermind that we visited once or twice a year since 1989. I place no trust at all in disney and their computers. They have shown time and time again they bite off more than they can chew.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
01-11-2015, 03:41 PM
We stayed away for about six years in the late 1990s to 2003. Since then we have probably been doing to many WDW trips. I just said to the wife since we visited Disney three times in the last 12 months, we have GOT to give it a rest for a while, as tough as it might be.

minnie04
01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
That’s a good one being that my AP's are coming to an end this March. I was thinking about skipping the magic for about a year, so all the changes that are underway can happen, BUT if I do this I will have to put a new down payment for all the tickets and that will be a big expense (family of 5) so I really need to think about this one.. We have been going so much lately that it is getting a little crazy, but I love the flexability of going with AP's ahh if there was any way I could freeze my tickets I would really think about taking a break..:mickey:

We go aleast 4 times a year mostly long weekends. It seems everytime I try to not go for a while someone in the family gets the bug :cloud9:

Cass&KenziesMom
01-18-2015, 09:03 AM
For us it was 11 years! Went for our honeymoon in 2002 and didn't go back until Feb. of 2013 for the 1st time with our kids. Then an almost 2 year span from Feb. 2013 to the end of Dec. of 2014. I'm excited though because we just got back a couple of weeks ago and we're going back in June!