PDA

View Full Version : Crockpots in rooms?

jaredkari
01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know are you allowed to have crockpots in any rooms at WDW? Thought it might be a good way to save a little money?:mickey:

DizneyRox
01-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I would hope not. I don't think it's wise to leave an unattended heating element on in a hotel. The possibility of fire and loss of property/life would probably negate any cost savings on food.

Butters
01-06-2015, 03:05 PM
I would hope not. I don't think it's wise to leave an unattended heating element on in a hotel. The possibility of fire and loss of property/life would probably negate any cost savings on food.

Agreed

buzznwoodysmom
01-06-2015, 06:14 PM

I also agree.

I know that's what crock pots are made for, but I cannot bring myself to have in on when I am not home. Therefore I wouldn't leave it on in a hotel room either. Not to mention the smell. I know when I cook with my crock pot at home it smells up half of my house. Wouldn't want our room to smell like food all week, and I would imagine the neighbors wouldn't want to smell food all week either.

dnickels
01-06-2015, 07:04 PM
From a post on the Disney World site itself under one of the Mom's Panel sections

Q: Hello. Im planning my first vist to disneyworld and plan on staying in one of the cabins at fort wilderness. I know it has a full kitchen but I was wondering if it was ok to bring my crock pot?
- Asked by Ashley from Arkansas on 10/12/2014

A:Hello and welcome to the Moms Panel!

I just spoke with a Cast Member regarding your question. Unfortunately, they discourage any new electrical items being brought in for safety reasons. The recommendation is to leave it at home.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/search/?searchQuery=crock+pot&autoSuggestedQuery=

BigRedDad
01-09-2015, 08:32 AM
I can agree with this in a studio room at most resorts. However, in a DVC Villa with a kitchen, I see nothing wrong with it. It is no different than having a light turned on. Put it on top of the stove and let it go. People do this at Fort Wilderness as well in their RVs or on the picnic table.

In a studio room in general where cooking is not permitted, a crockpot is definitely a no-no.

BIGDOG
02-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Rule 1: While on vacation you shall do no cooking have others do it for you.

Mrs Bus Driver
02-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know are you allowed to have crockpots in any rooms at WDW? Thought it might be a good way to save a little money?:mickey:
Any hotel is going to tell you no. However I admit to taking a hotpot and electric skillet with me on several trips to DL.

DNS
02-08-2015, 12:21 PM

My motto too!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
02-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Any hotel is going to tell you no. However I admit to taking a hotpot and electric skillet with me on several trips to DL.

Doing that is a high consequence in a low risk situation. If your equipment causes a fire guess who will be on the hook for the damages. You. I am a hotelier saying this.

And it doesn't matter if it's a regular room or a room with a kitchen. We are insured for the equipment we supply not yours. So if your equipment causes the damage you can bet the hotel and/or its insurance company will go after you.

BigRedDad
02-08-2015, 06:13 PM

After going through my bill for the last week, we spent $1,350 for the week. $900 of that was for food for 3 people. Having a breakfast in the room, easy lunch, and an easy make meal in the room saves a ton. If I got $900 worth of food, I would be OK with it. I did not get that type of value.

brownie
02-08-2015, 09:25 PM

:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
02-10-2015, 12:18 PM

Absolutely!!

The only food/drink we bring are snacks, beer, wine and water. We like to have some crackers, Chex Mix and things like that, but only for in the room. In the parks, it's Disney goodies only!!!

I would hate to come back to our room and smell food being cooked, or worse, coming back to find our room and possessions burned up in a fire.

VacationDisney
02-10-2015, 12:53 PM
I'd also hate to enter a room and smell food:mad:
I like my room to smell clean & fresh.

When we are on vacation...WE ARE ON VACATION:thumbsup: We plan our vacations so we CAN eat out at the great restaurants that WDW has.

Patricia
02-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Although we are guilty of eating in our room, we never cook it there.

This works only if you have a car with you:

We go to the store and buy cheese, crackers, olives, wine, cooked shrimp or full roasted chicken, a bag of salad, (the deli gives us plates, cutlery and condiments). Several large groceries, we use Win Dixie, have everything you need to lay out a spread. Add in some buns to make the next days lunch sandwich.

We plan accordingly to fit left overs in our tiny WDW fridge. But we do it all the time.

DizneyRox
02-10-2015, 07:49 PM
While I wouldn't say I love it, but I a few times we've come home to a DVC resort and it smelled like some very delicious food was being prepared. Felt like knocking on the door and inviting myself in.

joonyer
02-10-2015, 08:14 PM
While I agree that using a slow cooker in the room is NOT a good idea, practically speaking, it is no more likely to cause a fire than the mini-fridge or TV set. Anything plugged into an electrical outlet has a small chance of shorting out and starting a fire. But such a scenario is highly unlikely.

Z06-Dave
02-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Just get a club level room to save money on food, it's a modest price difference and you can easily eat and drink the difference worth, especially if you have young kids. They can eat three full meals a day there. Plus they have alcohol every night if you need ab eer or some wine. Of course if you don't stay at a deluxe resort it won't work. Once you get club level you'll never go back.

pox24
02-11-2015, 08:59 AM
We considered it for our extended stay this September. However we are going to pre cook crockpot meals, freeze them and then reheat. There will be 9 of us with 5 kids. What better than a meal in your own private and quiet surroundings looking over the Seven Seas Lagoon at the Grand Floridian.:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
02-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Just get a club level room to save money on food, it's a modest price difference and you can easily eat and drink the difference worth, especially if you have young kids. They can eat three full meals a day there. Plus they have alcohol every night if you need ab eer or some wine. Of course if you don't stay at a deluxe resort it won't work. Once you get club level you'll never go back.

I wouldn't say it's a modest difference. We received a complimentary upgrade from Garden View at the Grand Flo to Sugarloaf Concierge Garden View on a 13 day trip once. The price difference would've been over $3000 (at least). DH and I definitely didn't eat and drink $3000 worth of food and alcohol, and we had many continental breakfasts, pre-dinner hors devours/drinks, and evening drinks (just about every day). Don't know how you can get 3 full meals a day there since lunch time is usually just light snacks, and the lounge offerings aren't meant to be full meals anyway.

We did see people try to take multiple bottles of beer and wine back to their rooms, but the concierge staff quickly stopped them and only allowed them to take A bottle of beer or A glass of wine back to the room.

We've noticed a bit of a downturn in the food offerings in the concierge lounges over the years (choices, ingredients, types), and chances are it's due to people making many full meals out of the options offered.

garymacd
02-11-2015, 09:37 PM

I agree most vociferously.

Z06-Dave
02-12-2015, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't say it's a modest difference. We received a complimentary upgrade from Garden View at the Grand Flo to Sugarloaf Concierge Garden View on a 13 day trip once. The price difference would've been over $3000 (at least). DH and I definitely didn't eat and drink $3000 worth of food and alcohol, and we had many continental breakfasts, pre-dinner hors devours/drinks, and evening drinks (just about every day). Don't know how you can get 3 full meals a day there since lunch time is usually just light snacks, and the lounge offerings aren't meant to be full meals anyway.

We did see people try to take multiple bottles of beer and wine back to their rooms, but the concierge staff quickly stopped them and only allowed them to take A bottle of beer or A glass of wine back to the room.

We've noticed a bit of a downturn in the food offerings in the concierge lounges over the years (choices, ingredients, types), and chances are it's due to people making many full meals out of the options offered.

It depends on what you are upgrading from, you a re right, it could be a lot, but not always. Kids can eat three meals a day there, not adults, I should clarify, my kids are 6 and 7. I see people taking bottles of beer all the time, I have never seen anyone ever question it. Maybe its different at the Sugarloaf than Main Building?

SurferStitch
02-13-2015, 11:39 AM
It depends on what you are upgrading from, you a re right, it could be a lot, but not always. Kids can eat three meals a day there, not adults, I should clarify, my kids are 6 and 7. I see people taking bottles of beer all the time, I have never seen anyone ever question it. Maybe its different at the Sugarloaf than Main Building?

Might depend on who's staffed there... we've seen it at the Main building, too. In fact, in the main building lounge, we have seen the staff politely remind people that the offerings were not meant to be full meals when they saw guests with many plates filling up the tables. I was surprised they would say anything, but they did.

PopPhan
02-13-2015, 12:34 PM
To get back to the OP's question....

Any appliance that is left unattended in a guest room is a fire hazard. If it is not something that is supplied with the room, the guest may (will) be held accountable for any and all damages the appliance causes.

Please be safe and leave your crock pot or other cooking appliance at home. If you wish, there are microwaves in the food courts of the resorts. You can bring prepared foods, keep them in a cooler or the room fridge, and heat them up as desired.