PDA

View Full Version : Fast Pass + (and Minus)

azcavalier
01-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Two comments about FP+ from this current trip (that we're still in the middle of!):

1. We had a FP+ for BTMRR, and when we showed up, it was down. They told us that the FP would be good anytime the rest of the day, but we never made it back over to take advantage of it. However, THE NEXT DAY I got around to checking my email and saw that Disney had sent me one regarding BTMRR....it was sent 6 minutes BEFORE our FP+ had kicked in the previous day, and it was telling us that the ride was down, and due to the inconvenience we could choose any of the following attractions and use an extra FP for them. It included POTC, Splash Mountain, HM, Space Mountain, BTMRR, and a few other rides. That's cool, but *I had no idea* that they would be doing that. I didn't see it until the next day, at which time it was too late. To make it worse, after we found out that BTMRR was down, we went and stood in line for HM for 45 minutes....and apparently we didn't have to! We actually had working FPs!

*sigh*

I wish that the CMs were briefed on that. If the CM had told me "if you have a FP+, then check your email and see what Disney says about it" instead of "come back later and we'll honor the FP+", then we would have had a better evening. I'm not blaming the CM. I am wondering about the communication from corporate to the CM. Do the CM's even know that Disney does this for FP+ holders when a ride goes down?

2. Our vacation started on Sat. at the MK, but not until around 4pm (that's when we got here). We still rode Splash Mountain, Mine Carts, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Philharmagic. That's not bad, especially as packed as the park was. On Sunday, we go to church in the morning somewhere, and then after lunch headed out to Epcot. We rode Soarin', SSE, Nemo, LWTL, JIIYI(Figment), saw the French movie, ate at Teppan Edo, and had great seats for Illuminations.

My point being, that under the old system, the FPs for many of those rides would have been long gone by the time we showed up, so it's only because of the FP+ system that we got to ride them at all.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-05-2015, 05:55 PM
I love FP+ for the days when you're not going to be in the park early. Just like you, we arrived in the afternoon and were still able to do some of our favourite attractions.

We actually found, that with FP+, we spent more time enjoying other things (like the resort pool, going to the movies at DTD), since we knew we had rides waiting for us when we got to the park.

WDWdriver
01-07-2015, 06:51 PM
...I am wondering about the communication from corporate to the CM. Do the CM's even know that Disney does this for FP+ holders when a ride goes down?

Yes, the CMs know about this, or at least they should. It is part of the complex rollout of FP+ that CMs are still learning to deal with. The email notification is supposed to go out when a ride goes down, but it often doesn't happen.

Mendelson
01-22-2015, 07:57 AM
We were there a week after you (still working on the trip report) and it was our first time with FP+. Agreed on your point - while some spontaneity perhaps is sacrificed, it allows you to come to parks "late" and still get on stuff.

Our standard plan now is to knock out attractions at one park early in the AM when there are no lines, then hop to a park where we use our fast passes.

tjstrike
01-22-2015, 09:43 PM
I love FP+ for the days when you're not going to be in the park early. Just like you, we arrived in the afternoon and were still able to do some of our favourite attractions.

We actually found, that with FP+, we spent more time enjoying other things (like the resort pool, going to the movies at DTD), since we knew we had rides waiting for us when we got to the park.

That's exactly how we feel, we're not the "rope drop" crowd. I struggle to get my kids out of bed before noon when we're at home. It's awesome to get to the park at 1 or 2pm and have FP+ ready to go.