PDA

View Full Version : Which DVC resort if not going into a park?

dlpmikki
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM
We think we might stay one or two nights (late arrival) before heading to St Petes. Our annual passes will have expired so we probably won't go to a park as I don't want to pay the horrendous price for a one day ticket. So what DVC resort is the most fun to hang around at? :)

buzznwoodysmom
12-31-2014, 03:02 PM
I would say AKL would be a good choice. There is so much to do and see at the resort and it's far enough removed from the parks that you won't feel too tempted to head to a park. It probably wouldn't bother me much, but I know many people who wouldn't want to see MK in the distance and not be able to go.

On the other hand, BC and BW are also a lot of fun, especially Stormalong Bay at BC, in the summer. I have said before that the whole epcot resort area could be a stand along vacation spot for a short trip. You've got the great pools, entertainment at the Boardwalk, movies on the beach, lots of dining and shopping options.

If you are into Downtown Disney OKW and SRR are a good location.

For my family I would probably pick Beach Club. Seems there is never enough time to fully enjoy the resort and pool when doing the parks. This would be a great way to enjoy the pool uninterrupted by the parks.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

VWL Mom
12-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Have you stayed at VGF yet? If you're only doing one or two nights that may be an option to explore or depending on when you're going, maybe Poly will be ready.

Kairi_7378
12-31-2014, 07:23 PM
For a remote DVC experience, I would consider AKL.

dlpmikki
01-01-2015, 04:22 AM
Thanks everyone. We stayed at AKL last year
otherwise that would be a great choice. Stormalong bay is definitely tempting! Dh is not tempted VGF at all. BLT has the lounge for fireworks. My booking windows opens in about 10 days so we shall see what is available.

A few days after that and I will see what I can get at Disneyland! Would love Grand California but bet it won't be available. Fingers crossed one is available on points. :)

VWL Mom
01-01-2015, 07:12 AM
I had thought about BLT for you mostly because of ToWL, such a great place to sit, relax, grab a drink/snack and watch the fireworks. Tell Andrew I'm with him on VGF, just isn't calling my name.

Christine
01-03-2015, 08:38 AM
What time of year? Summer- boardwalk.
Winter- wilderness lodge.

dlpmikki
01-03-2015, 01:40 PM
What time of year? Summer- boardwalk.
Winter- wilderness lodge.

August. I wasn't blown away by the long corridors of Boardwalk. I think I am down to a choice of 3 - Beachclub, BLT or Wilderness Lodge.

Aurora
01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
For me I couldn't stay at BLT, as it would be too hard to be so close to the MK and not go in. Same with the Beach Club and Epcot. :sob: I know I'd wind up caving and buying that one-day ticket. So my choice would be the Wilderness Lodge.

Tucked away enough but still in the magic, a fantastically beautiful resort with plenty to do, a great pool, and I could even go over to Fort Wilderness on the boat for an extra excursion.

Have a great time!

faline
01-06-2015, 05:06 PM
I'd probably go with Bay Lake Tower. From there, you have the Top of the World access as you know but you also have the monorail close by so can hop around to the other monorail resorts to dine and/or wander through the shops. Additionally, there is the boat if you want to head over to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge.

DizneyRox
01-06-2015, 07:27 PM
We've been doing this for a few years now, and I can say it's kindof nice not doing the park thing.

We've been doing a week before or after a cruise, and have enjoyed AKLV as well as OKW. Hanging at the pool, grilling, etc has been pretty relaxing. This summer we're going to hop to Universal.

OKW has decent access to the highways for going elsewhere as well as its proximity to DTD and the crossroads make it's location pretty sweet IMHO. Pointwise it's very easy on the purse strings as well. Not having been it was tough to understand the draw, but when asked about where to say this summer the little one picked OKW. We agreed...

tjstrike
01-07-2015, 08:12 PM
You could also go with SSR, congress park section. It's a short walk to DTD.

dlpmikki
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Well, we ended up with Beach Club. Lots of dining options and of course Stormalong Bay. :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
01-12-2015, 08:03 AM
I think you made a good choice, Mikki!

The Epcot resorts give you so many non-park options!! :thumbsup: