PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Weekend - Getting around to cheer...

jennsky
12-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Please point me in the right direction if this is already being discussed...

We are staying at OKW and running in the 5K. We want to join #cheerICOT for the remaining races. Is our best bet to get a cab to the Boardwalk to join ya'll for cheering? What about the days where we are meeting at MK and HS? Suggestions? :confused:

Yungbuck73
12-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Please point me in the right direction if this is already being discussed...

We are staying at OKW and running in the 5K. We want to join #cheerICOT for the remaining races. Is our best bet to get a cab to the Boardwalk to join ya'll for cheering? What about the days where we are meeting at MK and HS? Suggestions? :confused:

The day at MK for 1/2, this past year, we took bus from BOARDWALK to EPCOT and then took Monorail. All of the Disney Resorts are Host resorts so there will be buses from all resorts to EPCOT
The day of the 10K, we will be driving over from Saratoga springs so we could pick u up if you want. We will be getting there by 5:15-5:30 so just let me know.

Melanie
12-30-2014, 09:51 AM
I outline how to get to MK on 1/2 day in the meet details. It's tricky, but Justin did a great job explaining. One thing I will add on is that once you get the monorail to the TTC, you must then transfer to the resort monorail. It's the only one running at that time. It doesn't start stopping at the MK until 5:30am, so you will need to get off at the Contemporary and walk. Plan to be at the MK turnstiles no later than 5:15. We plan on being there around 5:00.

Melanie
12-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Here's the info on getting to the MK:

Instructions and tips on getting to the Magic Kingdom on Saturday morning for Half Marathon viewing from Main Street –

This can be kind of tricky, as I’ve found through the years. The monorail is running round trip from Epcot to the Ticket and Transportation Center, so if you park at or ride a bus from a resort to Epcot, hop the monorail to the TTC. If you have a car, you can also park at the TTC, but be warned that the streets are blocked off starting about 4:30am, I believe.

Once you get to the TTC, get on the resort line monorail, get off at the Contemporary and walk to the Magic Kingdom gates. The monorail does not stop at the Magic Kingdom until 5:30am, but it does stop at all the resorts. Allow plenty of time so that we can all be there by 5:00am and have the group ready for the turnstiles to open. In previous years they opened at 5:30, but last year they were already open when we arrived around 5:15.

As for the 10K, a personal vehicle or a cab is the only way I can figure to get to the Boardwalk. We wanted to do it there again this year though, as we were the only ones out there last year, and got lots of feedback on how nice it was to have some cheering in that area.

Marathon day, Sunday, is tricky too. Darn these races! ;) Since we are meeting a little later, you should be able to get a bus from your resort over to DHS.

Yungbuck73
12-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I outline how to get to MK on 1/2 day in the meet details. It's tricky, but Justin did a great job explaining. One thing I will add on is that once you get the monorail to the TTC, you must then transfer to the resort monorail. It's the only one running at that time. It doesn't start stopping at the MK until 5:30am, so you will need to get off at the Contemporary and walk. Plan to be at the MK turnstiles no later than 5:15. We plan on being there around 5:00.

Thank you. I am but a student, you truely are the marathon weekend master. Welcome back, oh great grasshopper. Lol

BrerGnat
12-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Is anything on Main Street open for coffee/food that early?

Also, when do they start letting people into the MK? Do they let in before 5:30?

Melanie
12-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Thank you. I am but a student, you truely are the marathon weekend master.

Master? Nah. Just a lot of experience. ;)

Is anything on Main Street open for coffee/food that early?

Yes! On Main Street, Casey's is open, and they always have a coffee kiosk open at the Emporium corner.

In addition, the coffee kiosks at the Epcot entrance and the TTC are open as well.

Also, when do they start letting people into the MK? Do they let in before 5:30?

In years past, it was always 5:30 on the dot, when the monorail began stopping at MK. We planned for that last year, but were surprised when we got there at 5:15 that they'd already started letting folks in. So who knows? But that's why we are planning on meeting at 5 this year.

Rufuscube
12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I am running the Dopey and I just want to know the 4 locations #cheericot will be at during these races so I can be on the lookout. Unfortunately I was too late to get my ROYGBIV pack of shirts so I'll be less noticable.

Melanie
12-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I am running the Dopey and I just want to know the 4 locations #cheericot will be at during these races so I can be on the lookout. Unfortunately I was too late to get my ROYGBIV pack of shirts so I'll be less noticable.

Then you better look for us! :D :cheer:

For the 5K, the only place to cheer is right when you come out of Epcot towards the finish. Our group will be standing along that stretch.

For the 10K, we'll be on the Boardwalk, right around Big River Brewing. We were the only group out there last year, so we should be easy to spot.

For the Half, we'll be on Main Street, probably right around Casey's. And then some of us may try and head over towards the finish. We found a good spot last year right before the runners enter the Epcot bus loading area.

For the Full, Carol and I (and whoever else wants to join us) will be out early at the entrance to Shades of Green, but the main meet up is at the entrance area to Hollywood Studios. Last year we set up on the stretch between where the runners would leave the Studios and head towards the sidewalk that takes you to the Boardwalk.

GO RUFUSCUBE!!! :thumbsup: Oh, and please do come say hi the morning of the 5K. We're going to all meet at the stage and go to the corrals from there.

jennsky
12-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks everyone!!

So just confirming for the 5K, we are meeting at the stage? I remember we were all confused last year where to meet and us Canucks won't have cellular to get in touch with everyone. So meet at the stage where the music is blaring?

Melanie
12-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone!!

So just confirming for the 5K, we are meeting at the stage? I remember we were all confused last year where to meet and us Canucks won't have cellular to get in touch with everyone. So meet at the stage where the music is blaring?

Yes. We picked somewhere we knew we could find. lol

badkitty
12-30-2014, 09:36 PM
For the Full, Carol and I (and whoever else wants to join us) will be out early at the entrance to Shades of Green, but the main meet up is at the entrance area to Hollywood Studios. Last year we set up on the stretch between where the runners would leave the Studios and head towards the sidewalk that takes you to the Boardwalk.

Hey Mel, I'm going to join you and Carol at Shades of Green. It should be fairly easy to get to via TTC/Poly. I want to be sure to be able to #cheerICOT those Marathoners! The timing will be tricky for the DHS meet and my flight home.

Melanie
12-31-2014, 07:06 AM
Hey Mel, I'm going to join you and Carol at Shades of Green. It should be fairly easy to get to via TTC/Poly. I want to be sure to be able to #cheerICOT those Marathoners! The timing will be tricky for the DHS meet and my flight home.

Absolutely, Salina! Yes, where we'll be is an easy walk from the Poly. So glad you're coming!

GMRO
12-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Dear Head-Twit...

PLEASE BE SURE TO INSTA AND TWEET! Love to follow along with you folks.

WISHING ALL YOU WELL AND A SAFE TRAVELS AND GREAT INJURY FREE RUNS! JY, CW, AGENT-C, MEL, JUSTIN and THE REST OF THE INTERCOTEEEEESSSS! RUN and ENJOY! Good Luck!!!

BTW, will you be recording a podcast during this meet? Just wondering...

THANKS!!!

dpamac
12-31-2014, 11:59 AM
I will have a car. We're at Pop. Depending on what car we get we may be able to fit another three people. I'm guessing it'll be a Kia, so in that case we'll probably be able to fit one other person and someone else's leg.

Either way, if you don't mind two grumps pre-coffee (that is Ian and me) arguing about where we should park at the Boardwalk (because most likely Ian will be right and I'll still won't be able to see in color until I get coffee), we can drive a few people...

Melanie
12-31-2014, 06:17 PM
I'll have a car as well, and can pick a few up if needed. We are staying in the MK area. Let me know!!!

And GMRO, you know I'll be on it starting when we get there Tuesday. My very favorite thing to tweet/insta/FB is runDisney.

Yungbuck73
12-31-2014, 06:50 PM
I will have a car. We're at Pop. Depending on what car we get we may be able to fit another three people. I'm guessing it'll be a Kia, so in that case we'll probably be able to fit one other person and someone else's leg.

Either way, if you don't mind two grumps pre-coffee (that is Ian and me) arguing about where we should park at the Boardwalk (because most likely Ian will be right and I'll still won't be able to see in color until I get coffee), we can drive a few people...

we will have a car also, from Saratoga Springs so anyone looking for a ride let me know
Almost there, Almost there!!!!

GMRO
01-02-2015, 08:41 AM
I'll have a car as well, and can pick a few up if needed. We are staying in the MK area. Let me know!!!

And GMRO, you know I'll be on it starting when we get there Tuesday. My very favorite thing to tweet/insta/FB is runDisney.

Thank you! Very much looking forward to it!!! :thumbsup:

Rufuscube
01-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Then you better look for us! :D :cheer:

For the 5K, the only place to cheer is right when you come out of Epcot towards the finish. Our group will be standing along that stretch.

For the 10K, we'll be on the Boardwalk, right around Big River Brewing. We were the only group out there last year, so we should be easy to spot.

For the Half, we'll be on Main Street, probably right around Casey's. And then some of us may try and head over towards the finish. We found a good spot last year right before the runners enter the Epcot bus loading area.

GO RUFUSCUBE!!! :thumbsup: Oh, and please do come say hi the morning of the 5K. We're going to all meet at the stage and go to the corrals from there.

Where is the stage? This is my first 5K sorry, and i ran the full back 2 years ago so I'm a little rusty on the layout.

Melanie
01-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Where is the stage? This is my first 5K sorry, and i ran the full back 2 years ago so I'm a little rusty on the layout.

Not sure exactly, but you can't miss it once you get there. It's loud and bright! ;)

cer
01-02-2015, 03:48 PM

It is not the same as the marathon and the half marathon pump up stage and far away start location, although they do share the same security and bag check area.

Last year you went through security and then to your right there was a cross through walkway. Once you passed through the walkway turn right and the stage was on your right, next to the starting line arch. All the corrals (there were 3 last year) were further down on your left.

When you enter the corral, you go in one side and then when it is time to start you will exit the opposite side and walk around to the starting 'gate'.

That is how they did it last year. Also, the 10K had the same starting set up as the 5K.

Good luck everyone. You're awesome!

Yungbuck73
01-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Not sure exactly, but you can't miss it once you get there. It's loud and bright! ;)

That describes me perfectly. Loud and with that pink shirt, VERY bright. Lol.
See yall soon

Carol
01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
We will have a big INTERCOT banner. For the 5k we will be along the fence near the finishline, just before the grandstands. Everyone look for us and wave, dance, high five, whatever. Gary will have his camera videoing all Ya all.

dpamac
01-05-2015, 09:22 AM
We gots an app with the schedule (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=207673) (and shirt color for each day). Download. Enjoy. Use it to make sure you're on time to the Column meet.