PDA

View Full Version : Best Off Site Hotels

MushuGrl
12-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I feel like such a HEATHEN. But I have to ask, since I have plenty of time to plan....

I've decided to train for the 2016 Princess Half Marathon. Considering the 2015 Half hasn't happened yet, I have plenty of time to scrimp and save. However, money is tight due to a job change and a major health crisis in the family, so though it hurts my heart, I'm actually looking for off-site hotels to save a little money.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Dos and Don'ts? I've never stayed offsite before!

KylesMom
12-29-2014, 04:43 PM
During part of the ICOT 15 meet, I stayed at Homewood Suites (a Hilton property) off of Palm Parkway, just down the road from Crossroads shopping and dining area.

Really enjoyed it. Not too far away, and the price was very reasonable. Had a kitchenette, master bed and a separate living room with sofa sleeper. Paid the same amount per night for it that I did at All Star Music resort. A free hot breakfast was available in the morning, and in the evenings Monday-Thursday they always served some type of free light dinner. Definitely worth it - and will definitely stay there again! :mickey:

1DisneyNut
12-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Pretty much all of the Hilton brand hotels in the area are great. There are some across the street from Downtown Disney, some in the Lake Buena Vista area and a number of them on International Drive. I have stayed at several of them and don't have a complaint about any. They have all been far better than staying onsite at a Value and inline or better than Moderates depending on brand and location. Many also include free breakfast and some include free cocktails in the evening.

We stayed at the LaQuinta close to the Convention Center on International drive a couple of years ago because we brought our little dog and they allow pets for free. It was just fine and included breakfast.

I like International Drive locations because you can walk to numerous restaurants as well as other things to do.

Jillirose
01-03-2015, 03:56 PM
We stay 'offsite' at the Dolphin which is actually onsite and enjoys all the Disney transportation options and is within walking distance to EPCOT and DHS. :thumbsup:

buckethead501
01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
But what about many of the perks of staying on property? Do you notice missing out on those?

BigRedDad
01-03-2015, 04:29 PM
For the money and the BETTER than Disney Deluxe accommodations, Wyndham Bonnet Creek cannot be beaten. You can get a week in a 2BR suite for about $100-$120 per night. It is literally a 5 minute drive to Boardwalk and DHS, maybe 7 minutes to Epcot, and 10 minutes tops to MK and AK.

1DisneyNut
01-03-2015, 05:47 PM
But what about many of the perks of staying on property? Do you notice missing out on those?

We avoid the park that has extra magic hours and go to a different one so that perk has no value to us. We also despise being locked down by dining reservations and never make them so that one is out too. The only one to consider really is the stupid 60 day vs. 30 day window for FP+ but I have made up my mind that if the day comes where I have to reserve ride times two months ahead to be able to have a good time, I will just stop going but it is something that most people will want to take into consideration when making plans to visit.

For the money and the BETTER than Disney Deluxe accommodations, Wyndham Bonnet Creek cannot be beaten. You can get a week in a 2BR suite for about $100-$120 per night. It is literally a 5 minute drive to Boardwalk and DHS, maybe 7 minutes to Epcot, and 10 minutes tops to MK and AK.

I agree. I will also add a comment related to the drive times: When we stay offsite, we honestly drive from our hotel or house into WDW, park in the parking lot and get to the entrance of the park in less time than it often takes to weave through the giant WDW resorts and find the bus stop and then wait for a bus to arrive.

BigRedDad
01-04-2015, 08:35 AM
As for the perks you miss, there are only 2 that come to mind.

1. You do not get EMH. More than half the time, it is in the morning which is only a 1 hour benefit. Not worth it because we would avoid that any way.

2. You cannot use Stormalong Bay. That is a perk that is only afforded to people staying at BC/YC.

There is nothing else resort guests get over non-resort guests.

BrerGnat
01-04-2015, 09:23 AM
I would probably not choose an off site hotel for a race weekend. The transportation to the races only is from WDW resorts. I would not want to have to drive in. Also, transportation to the race expo is only to/from WDW resorts as well. Again, you can drive, but traffic and crowds will be a pain.
I would choose a Value resort if budget is really tight, but I would definitely stay on site.

MNDisney Dad
01-09-2015, 07:04 PM
If you are driving, the free parking as a resort guest is a perk you will not get as a non-resort guest.:thumbsup:

KylesMom
01-10-2015, 02:37 AM
If you are driving, the free parking as a resort guest is a perk you will not get as a non-resort guest.:thumbsup:

It really depends on how long your stay would be to figure out if the onsite free parking payoff would be worth it. Being A/P holders for so long with our vacations spanning up to 15 days at a time, it was definitely a huge factor. However, if you are going for a short stay to do the marathon, it may not equal to any savings.

However, I have never gone during a race, so what Natalie said about not staying offsite due to traffic and transportation concerns during race time is valid. She has experience with this - so I would seriously ponder her thoughts! We have a nice presence at the race this week - perhaps they can give you some more great advice based on their experiences when they return.:mickey:

Hog
01-15-2015, 04:40 PM
We have stayed off site 2 times. We had a bad experience and a great experience. There are ALOT of bad hotels in Orlando and we have learned that the hard way. One trip we stayed at 3 seperate off site hotels and they were all terrible.

The one good experience we had was at Comfort Suites Maingate East. It is right by Old Towne. The location is great and it has FREE Breakfast every morning. Not to mention it is reasonably priced.

But all that said we would always much rather stay on property, but on a budget or just want to be able to get away from the Disney feel for a few it is a nice hotel. Check it out, it is ranked #6 of 158 hotels in Kissimmee.

Cass&KenziesMom
01-15-2015, 05:02 PM
This past trip we booked and exchange with Wyndham through RCI at Vacation Villas at Parkway in Kissimmee right down the road from Olde Town. Our next trip we're staying at Wyndham Bonnett Creek which is on property. We went and took a look around while we were in town and it looks very nice and we hear good things about it. The only thing I'm not impressed about is the cost of the shuttle (which used to be free). It's no big deal though because like I said it's on property and since we have APs we don't have to pay for parking anyway.

BigRedDad
01-15-2015, 05:42 PM
WBC is awesome and Disney has nothing comparable in the price range. The closest thing they have is $600 per night. At $500 for 7-nights, there is nothing Disney has.

As you stated, the shuttle is expensive. Driving and parking yourself is still much faster than any bus service. DHS and Epcot are only 5-7 minutes away. MK and AK are only a 10-12 minute drive. My experience on the buses is that you wait 15-20 minutes and it is a 15+ minute ride. MK is the only park that is about equal in time. If you count the monorail as your first ride, then it is a bonus to drive.

Hammer
01-16-2015, 02:38 PM
I would probably not choose an off site hotel for a race weekend. The transportation to the races only is from WDW resorts. I would not want to have to drive in. Also, transportation to the race expo is only to/from WDW resorts as well. Again, you can drive, but traffic and crowds will be a pain.
I would choose a Value resort if budget is really tight, but I would definitely stay on site.

As Natalie said, since you are going so you can run in the Princess Half Marathon, it may make more sense to stay onsite. The recommendations posters have given are all fine hotels, but as you are there to take part in a runDisney event, the transportation for race events provided at WDW hotels will make things easier. The traffic for races, especially with road closures, would take away some of the value of staying off site.