PDA

View Full Version : Link to pics-The newly refurbed Poly lobby and Tambu Lounge

Christine
12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Last night I popped in to check out the newly opened lobby. I posted a little collection of pics on INTERCOT's Facebook page here : https://www.facebook.com/intercot/posts/10153158814629505

(Tap on picture, then you can use the arrows to scroll through. You do not have to have a Facebook account to see)

Thoughts?

Fangorn
12-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Cool!
Thanks Christine.

I like the fact that there's now a real lobby.

Mele Kalikimaka!

Steve

disney obsessed
12-21-2014, 10:55 AM
:confused:
Boring.....

SBETigg
12-21-2014, 11:06 AM
It's pretty, clean, kind of cool... and yet, yes, boring. It used to have a lot more character. But it will serve as a decent lobby space, still with some unique aspects (like the flooring/lighting/plants) and it presents a more open, less crowded feeling. I would have liked more of a wow factor.

BrerGnat
12-21-2014, 11:42 AM
But where will all the people sit? ;)

Mrs Bus Driver
12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank you for the pictures. I think it looks very nice, like the open space. Seems to give it a very relaxed feel. :mickey:

Jeff
12-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the pics. Seems to still have the old Poly feel!

But does it have the Poly smell?

Christine
12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Jeff the smell is new carpet/upholstery smell. And I couldn't smell anything from the little fountain. But I did smell 'Ohana so there's that!! :)

buzznwoodysmom
12-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Oh how I will miss the big water feature, and especially the smell!!!!

However, I do like the new look.....and at the same time I do agree that it is a bit boring. LOL. I think it needs a little something more, but overall I like the colors and the style. I am a huge fan of the new lights. Love those.

It's just that something is missing for me. Perhaps a larger water feature in the middle would have looked better. Heck I've seen shopping malls that have better water features than what is currently at the Poly. It just looks like a sad little pile of rocks. Larger (and possibly more) plants would also help. Hopefully there will be some tweaking in the future and they can get it just right.

Jeff
12-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Jeff the smell is new carpet/upholstery smell. And I couldn't smell anything from the little fountain. But I did smell 'Ohana so there's that!! :)

Well, Ohana smell is good!

SurferStitch
12-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Meh.

It's pretty, but painfully boring. Just like any basic lobby, but with a Polynesian touch.

Melanie
12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
And even more boring when they remove the Christmas decorations.

RavsRuleDisney!
01-18-2015, 07:26 PM
It wasn't quite finished when we visited this past Nov. so did not get to see the entire lobby up close and personal but look - here it is!! Thanx Christine, great pics. You know, if all I ever knew was this version of the lobby as opposed to the original I would think it was just fine. But of course knowing the "original" for so many years I will say -- yeah, this is just fine.

It definitely is a cleaner, more open, better lit, modern design and that's all good. But that lush centerpiece of the original lobby had such character, very Disney. It really "defined" that space: actually the resort itself. As many others stated here, it will be missed. BUT....it ain't coming back so we have to run with what we got and I am good with it. Now if they could just bring the parrots back.... ;)

goofy for pluto
01-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Are all the chairs too deep to feel comfortable?
It amazes me that the designer did not take into account how the furniture would be used when designing for a public space.
Maybe once they realize that most people won't fit comfortably on the furniture they will add pillows or an extra cushion to the back of the chairs to take up some of the extra room.

goofy for pluto
01-25-2015, 02:03 PM
As many others stated here, it will be missed. BUT....it ain't coming back so we have to run with what we got and I am good with it. Now if they could just bring the parrots back.... ;)

:thumbsup:

DNS
01-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the pics! I have to agree with others though. It's nice, but I liked the before much better.

big blue and hairy
01-26-2015, 09:30 PM
I was there this weekend, and both DW and I think it is a huge improvement. It is open, airy and comfortable, and it's very pretty. The old fountain/volcano thing took up the entire lobby and made it feel old and crowded, the new lobby looks and smells much nicer.

:sulley:

diz_girl
01-28-2015, 04:30 PM
It just looks like a sad little pile of rocks.

:exactly:

While the lobby was really tight on space, they went to the opposite end of the spectrum space-wise. They probably should have just halved the size of the fountain. It still would have been beautiful while still gaining much needed space.

Melanie
01-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Dare I say, I liked it too. :lei:

Grace
02-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Just back from WDW- Surprised and disappointed with the Poly lobby. Floats and nets on the ceiling are nice, extra seating was needed. But it sorely lacks a large iconic feature in keeping with the scope of the area. WL has the massive fireplace, AKL has the huge African art pieces, CR has the monorail, GF has the birdcage & the orchestra. The little fountain in the middle of the Poly lobby is phony-looking and lame. And there is no foliage & water scent anymore. !snif!

Maddie
02-03-2015, 07:54 AM
I was there a few weeks ago and was amazed at how little they did as the "center piece" once they removed the original. The original was large had running water and this one is just a little planter with flowers...It actually looks temporary because it is way to small for the space. I hope they do something a little bit bigger in the future with it...Maybe if they get enough complaints, it really takes the excitement out of walking into the lobby. I used to love walking in to see all the plants smell and hear the water it made it special.. now thumbs down.