PDA

View Full Version : Wrist band questions ~

EeyoresBestFriend
12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I understand that I am in a really small majority with this.

When I am on vacation, I will not carry any electronic devices on me nor do I allow anyone in the party too. After all, we are on vacation and should be in the moment there. I shall not digress any further on this. :D

Thus my question, how do I know when my FP times are, and where, with a band? What have others been doing? Print outs? Only using their phones?

Are our dining ressies also attached to the wrist bands?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

faline
12-19-2014, 07:13 PM
As I always do, I created a table of information such as dining reservations, fast pass times, etc which I carried with me. Yes, your dining reservations are associated with yur band.

While you may not want to carry electronics with you on vacation I found the My Disney Experience app on my phone to be important and provided critical information on wait times etc while I was there.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-19-2014, 09:47 PM
We did the same thing. I created a small card for each day, with our FP+ times, and ADR information on it.

However, as our vacation progressed, I found the MDE app to be easier, and we just used that to check wait times and verify FP+ times.

I agree with you though ... part of a vacation is "device" free, so we didn't check email, etc on it, just used the MDE app.

Katzateer
12-20-2014, 07:07 AM
While I do carry my iPhone with me because I use it as a camera I don't use the apps much or check mail. The Dsney app wasn't working very well- weak connection- when I did try to make dining plans several times while at the parks last week.

I also carry a little piece of paper with our plans on it. Without I would be lost.:mickey:

CleveSJM
12-20-2014, 09:49 PM
... nor do I allow anyone in the party too. ...

You don't sound too fun to travel with... ;)

I tend to let people do what makes them happy...

But, I would just print everything out and carry around the piece of paper. Of course, only if someone else in your party doesn't ban pieces of paper. :cool:

EeyoresBestFriend
12-20-2014, 11:19 PM
You don't sound too fun to travel with... ;)

I tend to let people do what makes them happy...

But, I would just print everything out and carry around the piece of paper. Of course, only if someone else in your party doesn't ban pieces of paper. :cool:

:funny: I am NOT a vacation dictator! Well, actually, yes I am. :D Funny though ~ people who have travelled with us, thank me for it as we are far more interactive and relax much better. I am a true believer in 'being' in the moment.

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll just make another paper like my dinner ressie list and have it available for reference.

VWL Mom
12-21-2014, 06:30 AM
In looking at your signature, you may not have been to WDW since the new FP+ changes. Check-out the MDE app before you leave home, beside just having your confirmations it also lets you seen wait times for rides/attractions. Things have changed with FP being added to rides that really don't need it and which makes standby lines longer….MDE does come in handy. You might want to reconsider and at least have one smartphone with you just for that.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
12-21-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't HAVE a smart phone, neither does my husband... we have regular stupid phones that only call and text. We are going in January, should be interesting with our schedules on pieces of paper!

EeyoresBestFriend
12-21-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't HAVE a smart phone, neither does my husband... we have regular stupid phones that only call and text. We are going in January, should be interesting with our schedules on pieces of paper!

I'd love to hear how you manage. My flip phone is an antique and I use it maybe 3 times a week. :blush: and charge it every 3 weeks or so. :D

To my knowledge, I think I can get the MDE app on my iTouch. I guess I may have to resort to that or have my niece and nephew deal with it on their phones.

lindique
12-21-2014, 04:29 PM
:D

To my knowledge, I think I can get the MDE app on my iTouch. I guess I may have to resort to that or have my niece and nephew deal with it on their phones.

Yes, MDE works fine on the iTouch, and there's wifi almost everywhere. I would like to suggest bringing it, so that you can make changes to your schedule if needed.

For example, you might arrive at a ride and see that the standby line is very short. That would be a "waste" of a fastpass - you could then change it for something else on the iTouch. Have a great vacation!!

Katzateer
12-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Even cast members were having trouble with internet/apps inthe parks last week. We have always carried a little sheet of paper with us and you will have an easy time navigating your FP+ and dining. I am the only member of the family that has a smartphone- my husband likes his old style flip phone.:thumbsup:

One thing I have noticed- you don't ave to have those long reservation numbers for dining. They just look up by name. I don't write them in my notes but they are on my phone if anyone asks.

EeyoresBestFriend
12-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Even cast members were having trouble with internet/apps inthe parks last week. We have always carried a little sheet of paper with us and you will have an easy time navigating your FP+ and dining. I am the only member of the family that has a smartphone- my husband likes his old style flip phone.:thumbsup:

One thing I have noticed- you don't ave to have those long reservation numbers for dining. They just look up by name. I don't write them in my notes but they are on my phone if anyone asks.

That's awesome ~ thanks! I usually keep one list that has all confirmation #s including resort, tickets, dining ressies & anything else that I booked that gave me a number for backup. I have a quick reference calendar style list that I use en route and I give a copy to every one in the group in case we all go separate ways and want to meet up later.

*sigh* I do sound neurotic. :sad: I'll try the app on my iTouch though. Sounds like it will be needed.

Thanks, everyone! Oh yeah ~ Merry Christmas! :santa3:

SteveO
12-22-2014, 10:27 PM
EBF:

I applaud your effort to keep the technology at bay during vacation. One of the best things about WDW is just absorbing all of the hub-bub, energy, beauty, design, thought behind,and creativity in the parks and sharing that with your travel mates. You just can't do that with your face staring at a screen.

With that said, I have a smartphone but I am not tied to it like a lot of people. I did have the phone with me for the MDE app like others have said. It had everything I needed; FP+, ticket to MVMCP, wait times, the whole nine yards. I would at least let one person have the phone but make them promise to not check mail or messages.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-23-2014, 11:34 AM
I have a smart phone, but my luck - I have a Windows phone so no MDE app for me.

Ill have it on my ipad in the room and might have my son bring his ipod touch since he also has a windows phone, so again no MDE for our phones.

BUT, because batteries die, wifi can be spotty, etc - we always have an index card - one per day, with our ressies on it. FP and Dinner - and times for the parks also on it. Its easy to put in the bag we carry and easy to pull out and reference.

Jimmy Thick
12-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately, with my recent trip its almost required to take a phone along with wearing the bands. I wish we could completely "unplug" from the real world while at WDW, but to really get the most you're going to need to bring a phone.

Consider it another guest who Disney lets in for free.

Jimmy Thick- Dreaming of android sheep...