PDA

View Full Version : First time marathoner!

cather74
12-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone! This years marathon will be my first.:) I'm so excited. Coming from ny and tired if running in the cold and dark. Any advice? Staying at pop.:mickey:

John
12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Good luck to you - you are brave! Christine is running the Marathon and we'll all be cheering you on.

Having never done one, I can't give any advice (I'm doing my first 10k marathon weekend) but I wanted to wish you well!

So, are you going to #runICOT? Did you get your #runICOT gear? ;)

Christine
12-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone! This years marathon will be my first.:) I'm so excited. Coming from ny and tired if running in the cold and dark. Any advice? Staying at pop.:mickey:

First time for me too! Are you as nervous as I am!? How's your training been?

dnickels
12-17-2014, 08:47 AM

- Stop by a Goodwill or Salvation Army type place ahead of time and buy some cheap clothes (sweatshirt, sweatpants, hat, gloves). Disney starts herding people to the start line long before the race begins, so you can easily be standing around for 2 hours in just your running gear. Coming from NY to Florida that might not sound so bad, but two hours standing around in 40 or 50 degree weather with no warm clothes can get unpleasant in a hurry! A few minutes before your corral starts just strip them off and toss them to the side. Disney collects discarded clothes and donates them so they'll go to use.

- Be sure to treat it as a fun race. People who end up disappointed with Disney races are typically expecting enough elbow space to run their pace unimpeded, courteous runners that won't hog the path, etc. It's not the Boston marathon. It's a crowded race for the width of the course, you'll be reduced to walking shoulder to shoulder with people at times in narrow portions of the course. People will go from a run to a walk directly in front of you with no warning, they'll be wearing iPods and unaware of you saying 'on your left' as you go to pass them, they'll be walking or running 4-5 abreast with their friends, they'll stop in the middle of the course (and of course just as you were getting into the groove) to pull out their phone and take a picture. Just know those things are going to happen going into it, smile and don't let them be a bother.

It's truly an awesome race, but keep those things in mind and I think you'll have an even more enjoyable time. See you all there in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

whymsycalwitch
12-19-2014, 09:49 AM
I wonder how many first timers there are running the marathon? I'm another one. I just want to not be swept, finish standing upright, not feel worried about time spent at the character stops and enjoy my first full marathon experience. I hope to also make friends along the course. Last year at the Donald (my first half) I talked to a few different people out on there. I'm thinking of wearing some sort of sign on my back saying, "1st marathon, Talk to me, run with me, cheer me on" or something like that.

cer
12-19-2014, 12:38 PM
I am so excited for you all!

I did my first marathon and Disney run in 2013 at age 42. You will love it!

Ditto all that dnickels said - as far as clothes before the run go - don't be self conscious about wearing a trash bag if you don't want to go the throw away clothes route. Trash bags are good to sit on when you are waiting and good to ward off rain as well....and I have been rained on waiting on a run to begin. Others have been rained on during the event (see this year's Wine and Dine folks)

The course is fantastic! There is a very narrow section right when you exit Magic Kingdom about mile 6. It will be tight, they squeeze everyone down to one car lane. Just be patient in this section and don't waste valuable energy and risk injury by trying to "juke" around slower runners.

Make sure you take in your nutrition every 45-60 min. (whatever that may be - gels, sports beans or whatever you do). On my first marathon I was ill-advised to take only water - supplement your hydration with powerade- you need the electrolytes, especially if you sweat a lot- they offer both at the water stations.

As far as timing bathroom breaks in "real" restrooms on the run, I personally have used the ones at about mile 4 or 5 when you enter the transportation center they are on the right and then I have used ones inside Animal Kingdom at about mile 11. After AK, I have never needed to go again, I think by that point my body is using all the fuel up. I love being able to use real restrooms on the course - you will find them in all the parks (of course) as well as in the Sports Center - they have plenty of portables along the course. Unfortunately, you will need to use the portable ones at the starting line, there is really no way around that. That may be too much information, but it is a real concern of mine, especially when I do non-Disney races.

Hydrate and hydrate more the day before - and don't be suckered into spending too much time on your feet at the expo or in the parks. Save your steps.

Enjoy the run. If you usually run with tunes, I encourage you try going without. I like to fully experience the sounds of the race, they are unique to each race. They have music on the course and music in the parks, people visit with you and you can listen to others conversations - it is a great run and attracts great people - don't forget to draw energy from those cheering. On my last marathon, I did not pull out my tunes until mile 22, and even then I wasn't sure if I should have, I know I missed out on some things, but it was a needed boost for me then.

Most difficult part of the course (mentally) for me is mile 17 through 20 (or so). That is when you turn right and run to the Sports Center. It is late in the run and it is just a bear turning right and knowing you have 3 miles in there. Mile 21-22 is hard too, you get back on to Osceola Pkwy and then have to take a hill on an exit ramp to the right. In the past, the green army men are stationed there "cheering" or should I say "coaching" everyone on.

I do not stop for character pictures - but that is just me I am not really a character girl and I like to have a good measure of my time. The only one I have ever stopped for was Jiminy Cricket. On my first marathon, they were running Expedition Everest and runners were peeling off and doing that. I did not on my first marathon, I would have ridden on my second marathon, but it wasn't opearating when I went by and I wished it was. Do what you want to do as far as character pics, but be mindful of your time.

Trust your training. On my first marathon, the furthest I had trained was 16 miles (there is a story there, I thought we had done 20) and I had no problems completing the marathon distance - don't misunderstand, it is still hard - but if you have trained, you have it in you! Don't burn out all your energy early on. It is a long distance and the goal is completion.

Oh I wish I was going this year! You are all going to do so well and have so much fun!

I recommend compression sleeves or socks for your calves to wear during the run and also for recovery, as well as a 10 - 15 minute ice bath once you get back to the hotel. ( we use our clear gear check bags to get the ice from the machine to the room) It sounds crazy, but it really works well for recovery from longer runs.

I will be praying for you and cheering you all on from Texas. You are going to do so great!

If you have any questions or if I can help in any way. let me know!

:mickey:

AgentC
12-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I have no advice either since the most I've done is a 5K but I am in awe of all our marathon runners. I'm excited to be cheering you all on.

Christine
12-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I wholeheartedly appreciate the time and detail you guys are offering us first timers!!! Thank you dnickels and cer!!!!

RunDMV
12-21-2014, 12:00 PM
ice bath: never been a fan of them. but if you are going to do them, do the right. get in the water first, THEN dump the ice in so the temp drops gradually. no shock of jumping in freezing water.

Do not NOT NOT NOT forgo packing a dry set of clothes in your after race bag check. Changing clothes is wonderful. bring a beach towel for modesty. Wrap the towel around you and change.

don't rely on on-course nutrition. bring your own. I put 3 or 4 gels under my cap as a good place to store them. on-course gels tend to be experimental flavors like "possum foot jam" or "mushroom pudding."
As other have stated, leaving AK, turning left and heading to ESPN is the worse segment. Its long, humpy, boring and out in the open.

Your last elevation change of any significance is around mile 21 on the over pass from Osceola Parkway to the entrance at DHS. But, that little bridge from England to France around mile 25, surprisingly, has a bite to it.