PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha dinner show - weather

DisneyFan1979
12-11-2014, 12:59 PM
I have reservations for the Spirit of Aloha dinner show on Christmas Eve. I've read elsewhere that in some inclement weather it's entirely canceled and then other times they still serve dinner but don't do the show?

The long-range forecast shows rain for Christmas Eve. I know that can change, but I'm wondering if I should carefully monitor and consider canceling if it looks bad. We're going for the show and to have a fun evening; it would be a waste of our money just to have an overpriced meal and not see the actual luau show.

Advice and past experiences appreciated. :mickey:

KylesMom
12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I can just give you my own personal experience . . .

We arrived at The Poly in plenty of time as requested. As soon as we checked in, the rain began. It continued on for quite a long period of time. Over two and a half hours after the show was to begin, they finally cancelled it. Needless to say, the evening was a total wash. We ended up going back to Wilderness Lodge and ordered wings and nachos from Territory Lounge if I remember correctly!

We were not on the dining plan so it was not a big deal to us (we received a credit on our Disney Visa two months after we returned home), but all of the people who were planning on using their dining credits were scrambling, trying to figure out where they could use their two TS credits before their vacation ended-not to mention what they were going to eat that evening.

At minimum I would definitely monitor the weather situation. I don't know what alternate dining you would be able to find, but it would not be a pleasant memory to be out of luck on Christmas eve.:papple:

Janmac
12-11-2014, 08:18 PM
We had this booked in September 2008. As it rained the afternoon of the day of our reservation we wondered what to expect. The sun came out as we were lining up for our photo and check in. As we were being seated we saw folks drying off the stage with towels.

For Christmas Eve, I'd have a plan B in mind, anyway. if there is precipitation.

Or maybe switch Aloha to another day or trip?

Between Aloha and Hoop De Do, most of our extended family members would prefer a return visit to HDDR over Aloha.

Jan

DisneyFan1979
12-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks for your replies! I've made backup reservations for lunch at Kona Cafe. If the forecast a couple days before looks like a total washout, we'll cancel the dinner show reservation.

I have my fingers crossed for good weather, I've never done one of Disney's dinner shows and this is to be my birthday treat!

Janmac
12-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Will you have kids with you? When we went, we were on the dining plan, which was tier 3 seating, and a bit far from the action when the kids were invited up to hula. The child in our group didn't make it up in time. So if you have kids, scope out how to get them away from your table as you sit down.

Btw, the fancy drinks were a hit with my sister and niece. :D

The entertainment will definitely make you feel you have a special treat for your birthday. We had better seats at HDDR, which is probably why we felt more inclined to repeat that show.

Jan

DizneyRox
12-14-2014, 06:43 PM
it would be a waste of our money

This... I'd cancel now and see if there's an opening at the Hoop Dee Doo...

DisneyFan1979
12-15-2014, 11:39 AM
I have heard the positive reviews about Hoop De Do; however; we have a number of dietary restrictions in our traveling party and would not be able to eat any of the food on the regular menu there.

mydisneygirls
12-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Disney always accommodates dietary needs. You should call and ask...you never know. I'd much rather HDDR than Aloha.

twinboyz
12-16-2014, 10:49 AM
We were there in May of 2014 and it rained all day and night. They gave us ponchos to walk to the Luau. The only disappointment that night, was there was no crowd participation because the stage was wet. The Fire thrower still did his thing in the rain. Note: There was no lighting or thunder.. just heavy rain.

TinkerbellT421
12-16-2014, 05:56 PM
This... I'd cancel now and see if there's an opening at the Hoop Dee Doo...

This times a million. Save yourself the disappointment and time.