PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated by dining plan and lack of reservations

angyl15
11-04-2014, 10:40 AM
As a family with 3 little ones, we typically do not do the dining plan, as it is just too much eating and sitting for us. That being said, we love doing chef mickey's and crystal palace. It has become a tradition for us. I am so sad that this upcoming trip I cannot get reservations at all! I understand it is free dining while we will be there, but I am just frustrated. Is there ever times that disney does not offer free dining? It seems to be all the time. We used to do it, but unless you are big eaters, it really does not add up cost-wise.

Does anyone have experience with getting reservations at either location within 9 days? I am trying at least 3x a day and am flexible with times, but nothing is showing up for any character meals.:confused:

ThanxForNoticin
11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Free dining has definitely made situations like yours a nightmare. All you can probably do is keep trying, hoping there is a cancellation. And cancellations can happen when you get closer to the date - many folks make ADRs months in advance - and plans can change. It's especially true now that many places will charge a family's credit card if they don't show.

Good luck - hope something comes through for you.

AgentC
11-04-2014, 01:20 PM
I would keep doing what you are doing. As mentioned in the previous posts people do tend to cancel as reservations get closer. You have to cancel 24 hours ahead of the reservation so don't give up. People will cancel as it gets closer. It sounds like you might have a group of 5 which does make it a little harder.

DizneyRox
11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
"Free" dining has never been offered when we would go. On or around July 4th.

Dining in general though has become a nightmare. I would have thought that the credit card hold would have helped, but it doesn't appear so.

Personally, I don't get the appeal of those places, but I appear to be alone in that sentiment. They have always been tougher to get, the dining plan has made it worse. The "I'm going to get my money's worth!" mentality has caused this. I consider it to be an "imaginary" value as the dining plan has also created generic menus across property, especially with regards to breakfast. There's a few standouts, Donald's Safari Breakfast being one of the last holdouts I think.