PDA

View Full Version : Honor a veteran

FenwayGirl
10-28-2014, 03:54 PM
How do I request that my sister in law be honored at the Flag retreat in the MK. We will be there in June and she would be so honored

Janmac
10-29-2014, 10:57 AM
As I understand it, the veteran being honored is chosen in the morning by a CM as guests enter the park.

When we saw the Flag Retreat in 2013 DH - a Navy retiree - was thrilled to watch the ceremony even tho he was not chosen that day. It was enough for him to see that an honor was being paid.

Two kids are also chosen to lead the Pledge of Allegiance.

I highly recommend the Flag Retreat to everyone.

Jan

Main Street Jim
10-29-2014, 03:36 PM
How do I request that my sister in law be honored at the Flag retreat in the MK. We will be there in June and she would be so honoredFrom what I have been told by my GR CM and Main Street CM friends (as recently as August 2014 when I asked about it), they no longer "take requests" as the list was getting ridiculously long. They were on a six-month-plus wait list.

FenwayGirl
10-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the updates. I just got the same answer from WDW as well. I know that my sister in law will love the ceremony regardless, but it would be wonderful for her to be recognized personally.
I make a point to see this ceremony every trip. such an emotional ceremony!

JMTStone
10-31-2014, 02:28 PM
We saw this on 9/11 when my daughter and I were there a few years back. My nephew was deployed at the time and I cried and cried. Its a wonderful thing that Disney still does well.:flag:

minnie04
10-31-2014, 03:50 PM
when does this take place and where in the MK? Is this at rope drop? I have never heard of this and I would love to see it.

10-31-2014, 04:08 PM
As I understand it, the veteran being honored is chosen in the morning by a CM as guests enter the park.

The veteran is chosen by a CM in the morning, normally in the City Hall area and instructed to return to Town Sq. about 4:40. Haven't been able to request for about 3 years or so.

The pledge children are chosen by a member of the Dapper Dans in Town Sq. About 4:50, just prior to flag retreat at 5:00.

Suggest trying to view any day except Friday or Saturday as the Main St. Philharmonic is not there on those days. Still good but just "better" (in my opinion) with PhilHar there.

Janmac
10-31-2014, 06:15 PM
when does this take place and where in the MK? Is this at rope drop? I have never heard of this and I would love to see it.

This is at 5 pm when the flag is brought down for the night. Very nice ceremony with honor guard, and band, as pp said. Right at the beginning of Main Street. It's been going on since MK opened, as far as I know. Very well done.

Jan

texas211
10-31-2014, 07:21 PM

When we saw the Flag Retreat in 2013 DH - a Navy retiree - was thrilled to watch the ceremony even tho he was not chosen that day. It was enough for him to see that an honor was being paid.

Two kids are also chosen to lead the Pledge of Allegiance.

I highly recommend the Flag Retreat to everyone.

Jan

I'm surprised kids even know the pledge anymore.

BrerGnat
10-31-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm surprised kids even know the pledge anymore.

They still do it at schools...

11-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Beginning sometime next week, check the times guide in the park, the time is supposed to be changing to 4:45 till the first of the year. Not sure exactly which day.

tjstrike
11-02-2014, 01:40 PM
The veteran is chosen by a CM in the morning, normally in the City Hall area and instructed to return to Town Sq. about 4:40. Haven't been able to request for about 3 years or so.

The pledge children are chosen by a member of the Dapper Dans in Town Sq. About 4:50, just prior to flag retreat at 5:00.

Suggest trying to view any day except Friday or Saturday as the Main St. Philharmonic is not there on those days. Still good but just "better" (in my opinion) with PhilHar there.

Does the CM just walk up and ask people if they're veterans ? Just curious because I've never been asked. :confused:

Main Street Jim
11-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Does the CM just walk up and ask people if they're veterans ? Just curious because I've never been asked. :confused:Pretty much.

BrerGnat
11-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Does the CM just walk up and ask people if they're veterans ? Just curious because I've never been asked. :confused:

At Disneyland they make a loudspeaker announcement right before asking any veterans to come forward so that they can be honored during the ceremony. Not sure if WDW is the same.

11-02-2014, 11:22 PM
At Disneyland they make a loudspeaker announcement right before asking any veterans to come forward so that they can be honored during the ceremony. Not sure if WDW is the same.

Not the same.