PDA

View Full Version : Moana

CAS
10-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Say goodbye to the Tiki Room or at least it's current management. I can see this going the way of The Maelstom and Frozen.

BrerGnat
10-23-2014, 04:51 PM
What? Care to elaborate?

Main Street Jim
10-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm not understanding the "Moana" reference?

Kenny1113
10-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Just did a google search- moana is a new disney heroine
I guess the OP is implying this is expected to be another Frozen...therefore becoming a ride

DizneyFreak2002
10-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Moana is the new animated movie which takes place in the South Pacific I believe... Or somewhere around there... Has a Polynesian feel to it...

Edit: it does, in fact, take place in the South Pacific...

BrerGnat
10-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Eh, The tiki room building isn't big enough for them to do much of anything else with it. I'm sure it will stay as is.

DizneyFreak2002
10-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Eh, The tiki room building isn't big enough for them to do much of anything else with it. I'm sure it will stay as is.
Not stopping them from shoehorning Frozen into Malestrom...

BrerGnat
10-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Not stopping them from shoehorning Frozen into Malestrom...

Well, Maelstrom is a full fledged ride in a very large show building. Not even close to the same thing.

DizneyFreak2002
10-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Well, Maelstrom is a full fledged ride in a very large show building. Not even close to the same thing.

Still too small to do a dark ride of an animated movie justice, especially one as popular as Frozen is...

As for Tiki room, all they have to do is shoehorn Moana into the attraction, as if it is Under New Management... and presto... Done... rethemed...

Not saying this is what they would do... But let's face it, if the movie is popular, adding 1 AA into Tiki Room is exactly something TDO would want be done... Cheap and easy...

ransam
10-24-2014, 12:03 AM
wow.....

BrerGnat
10-24-2014, 03:28 PM
... But let's face it, if the movie is popular, adding 1 AA into Tiki Room is exactly something TDO would want be done... Cheap and easy...

If Moana makes $1.5 Billion, I have no problem with them "enhancing" the Tiki Room. When a movie is that popular, it obviously is a smart idea to retheme a lackluster attraction.

CAS
10-24-2014, 11:03 PM
If Moana makes $1.5 Billion, I have no problem with them "enhancing" the Tiki Room. When a movie is that popular, it obviously is a smart idea to retheme a lackluster attraction.

Just don't forget that the "lack luster" rides are most loved by the generation who pays for the trips. ;)

PirateLover
10-24-2014, 11:23 PM
One person's "lackluster" is another person's "classic."

DizneyFreak2002
10-24-2014, 11:58 PM
I don't understand how mediocrity is accepted by Disney fans... Especially when Disney was about being great not mediocre... Adding in an AA and calling it new is cheap and mediocre... This attitude is the reason WDW has been allowed to be Walmarted over the last 15 to 20 years...

If Moana winds up making 1.5 billion, then how can anyone justify a cheap overlay as a smart idea? it is sad and pathetic actually... True to form to the monkeys running TDO and the fans who defend anything Disney.. it is Walmarting WDW, putting it on a level just slightly above Six Flags... Tossing some paint on something and calling it new is what Six Flags would do... Not Disney...

if the movie is popular, and makes Frozen like money and has Frozen like popularity, then do it justice... Make a real ride... Not a cheap over lay, like Frozen is getting (In WDW anyway)...

The movie isn't even out yet.. We have no idea how it will perform in the theaters... The only thing I guarantee we do see is a meet and greet to promote the movie and new character...

ransam
10-25-2014, 04:21 AM
How do you know the frozen ride won't be awesome?

Over the last few years Disney has added a huge improvement to Fantasyland, a new car land at DL. In the next few years they are adding avatar, that by all signs will be mind blowing, they are adding attractions to AK to make it more entertaining and can be open later, and adding a Star war land, and many more, soon to be announced attractions to AK.

BrerGnat
10-25-2014, 10:00 AM
One person's "lackluster" is another person's "classic."

I should clarify. I meant lackluster in terms of attendance.

I, personally, LOVE the Tiki Room. I have done it dozens and dozens of times. However, while it remains very popular over at Disneyland, it simply doesn't seem to be very popular at WDW. That is just the truth. They tried to revive it with the Under New Management schtick, which didn't work. Now it's back to its classic form but people still don't flock to it en masse.

If Moana is a HUGE hit for Disney the way Frozen is, I would think the Tiki Room at WDW would be an excellent place to throw in a little influence from the movie to perhaps get people back in there in large numbers. I would not be supportive of ripping out the birds and completely making a new attraction, but enhancing with some elements would not bother me.

And, not every hit movie needs its own ride. Or land (Avatar....)

PirateLover
10-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I should clarify. I meant lackluster in terms of attendance.

I, personally, LOVE the Tiki Room. I have done it dozens and dozens of times. However, while it remains very popular over at Disneyland, it simply doesn't seem to be very popular at WDW. That is just the truth. They tried to revive it with the Under New Management schtick, which didn't work. Now it's back to its classic form but people still don't flock to it en masse.

If Moana is a HUGE hit for Disney the way Frozen is, I would think the Tiki Room at WDW would be an excellent place to throw in a little influence from the movie to perhaps get people back in there in large numbers. I would not be supportive of ripping out the birds and completely making a new attraction, but enhancing with some elements would not bother me.

And, not every hit movie needs its own ride. Or land (Avatar....)
Gotcha. I do see your point. It was really fun to be in a full show for Tiki Room at DL. WDW can get a little depressing with how empty it is most of the time. Even when it was "under new management."

Main Street Jim
10-25-2014, 10:57 PM
However, while it remains very popular over at Disneyland, it simply doesn't seem to be very popular at WDW. That is just the truth. They tried to revive it with the Under New Management schtick, which didn't work. Now it's back to its classic form but people still don't flock to it en masse. We also have to remember, too, that WDW's Tiki Room was kind of forced back into "classic show" mode after the Iago incident back in, what, 2011? Since they didn't want to spend the $$$ to replace/rebuild just one animatronic, I don't see TDO spending any more on that show for a quick overlay - or, I could be wrong.

The DL show is *classic* Walt Disney. When they (TDO) messed with the show the first time (things like taking out the bird-mobile, then the Magic Fountain), until we finally got the "UNM" show, that generation just stopped coming into the show. Now, *this* current generation of guests probably didn't - or don't - know that the *current* ETR show is what's left of the original, because all they knew was UNM.

So....as a classic-attraction-lover, I'm glad that what's there now *is* there - because this generation of guests get to see a glimpse of Walt's personal touch from Disneyland.