PDA

View Full Version : Favorite WDW Attraction Smells

azcavalier
10-12-2014, 10:33 PM
No complaining here. Time for a happy thread!

I know that a lot of people love certain scents (such as outside the bakery on Main Street) or hate certain scents (Stitch's chili dog burp comes to mind). But what attraction "scents/smells" do you love?

We just got back this morning from a short three days in the parks. During this trip, my DW commented how much she *loves* the smell of the Splash Mountain Queue. It's actually a wet, musty, chlorinated smell. But she loves it.

This may be a stupid thread. But i'm fascinated to see what y'all come up with.

masonlovesdisney
10-13-2014, 03:17 AM
The smell of the fire/cannons firing and what no in POTC>

Goofeygal
10-13-2014, 07:12 AM
I love the smells on Sorain'

cer
10-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Apple pie in Phillarmagic... :thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
10-13-2014, 08:47 AM
There's a smell in Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. It's probably the water. And all our WDW vacations start there.

Anytime we're out and something reminds us of that smell, DW will say, "That reminds me of the Rainforest Cafe." Immediately, I'm transported to the beginning of another great vacation.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Soarin- orange and pine trees

Bay Lake
10-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Any water attraction, bathrooms have a unique Disney smell, the 4th floor of the Contemporary is a very memorable smell also.

wellsm
10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
I always thought the smoke from the Burning of Rome in Spaceship Earth was cool. :)

I also noticed that there was a distinctive "smell" to some of the rides at Disneyland. It's hard to describe, but I remember smelling it around Radiator Racers (odd- it was outdoors) and inside both POTC and the Haunted Mansion. Especially in HM. This was in January right after they had removed the Christmas overlay, so I wondered if it might be something in the paint.

As for favorite smells, I'd have to pick the food!

disney obsessed
10-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Deffinately Splash
Also, the lobby at AKL...
The early morning smell of florida as i am walking to the bus stop. Anyone know what I mean? I sometimes smell it here in Virginia Beach on an early summer morning.

VacationDisney
10-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Soarin', for the oranges. Animal Kingdom Lodge (there is something about the unique, pleasant, captivating smell in this place that we love). Space Ship Earth as you pass through the burning of the books.

There are probably a few others but my mind is a blank right now:blush:

TikiLounger
10-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Soarin'. Pine and oranges. Plus, the water rides (especially POTC).

Yo Mickey!
10-13-2014, 01:01 PM
The gingerbread carousel in the lobby at beach club over the holidays. 48 days...but who's counting?

Stu29573
10-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Water in the POTC!

Tigerinvestigator
10-13-2014, 03:24 PM
This is a great topic for me. Smells trigger more memories for me than anything at WDW. Some of my favorite are resorts like The Dolphin, The Great Ceremonial House "pepper" smell at the Poly, the Contemporary has a unique smell, and of course the lobby of the AKL and it's smoky fantastic smell.

For rides I love the POTC smell which is very unique. The HM has it's own as well. The smell of all the water rides and the AC in the buildings. I especially love the pepper plant smell as you cross into Adventureland. Probably the best smell is the Land pavilion at Epcot!

As for past smells, I use to love the smell of the hand stamp for re-entry in the 1970's and 80's. It smelled strongly of Lime. They did away with the smell in later stamps. Also the Horizons pavilion and the orange grove was good.

And finally my favorite smells at restaurants would be the smell of Mama Melrose as you approach, Boma, and The San Angel Inn in Mexico!:thumbsup:

Terra
10-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Agree about burning Rome in SSE!

Of course Main Street yummy smells.

Any chlorinated water smell [I'm that strange! LOL]

Philharmagic and Soarin' totally agree as well!!!!

The pine trees in Soarin are my absolute fav!

Altair
10-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Not so much now, but in the past, the smell of the prairie with the thunderstorm in the background during Living With the Land. :mickey:

Kenny1113
10-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Another for soarin!!!

Apple pie in Phillarmagic... :thumbsup:

I love this smell. I found out here on the boards about the scent "leaves" at bath and body works. Smells very similar to it. :)
It's out now for the fall season.

I love the old Main Street bakery smell (idk if it is still there with the addition of Starbucks)

Also the candy scent at the end of the boo to you parade.

Camaro305
10-14-2014, 03:03 PM
I bought a shirt at Rainforest one year, and brought the scent home with me! I almost didn't want to wash it! :)

i'm grumpy
10-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Soarin', Philharmagic, the bakery and Lotso!!

MrPeetrie
10-14-2014, 04:10 PM
I bought a shirt at Rainforest one year, and brought the scent home with me! I almost didn't want to wash it! :)

I love this post.

Aurora
10-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Definitely whatever the wonderful scents are when you walk into the Poly and Contemporary. They just smell like "vacation" to me. Also love the POTC and Splash rubber/mildewy smell.

Our pediatrician's office is a fairly new building with a waterfall in the lobby. My kids like going there because it smells like Disney World. :yay:

jclightchasr
10-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Water Rides especially POTC and Small World
SE Fall of Rome
Soarin Oranges (but I swear Horizons smelled better!)
Dole Whip!
Whispering Canyon
Main Street Bakery
Musty Smell on Universe of Energy
Laila in Norway! (best perfume ever)
I'm sure I forgetting something....\
oh yeah H2O blushing orange smells like PORS to me!

DizneyFreak2002
10-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Rome burning in Spaceship Earth was always one of my favorites...

wdwjoe
10-15-2014, 03:35 PM
-Rome burning on SE
-Contempo when you get off the monorail
-The Land
-Splash Mountain/all water rides
-Great Ceremonial House at Poly
-The smell of air conditioning (that sounds weird, but it is a distinct scent)
-Value Resort Food courts

Hammer
10-15-2014, 04:14 PM
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I love the smell of the lobbies at the Grand Floridian and the Beach Club!

texas211
10-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Great one.

I agree with whomever said the smells of Florida in the morning. Being that I live in Texas, I love that newly wet smell, walking down the path at POR or any Disney resort to the transportation. Maybe it is the added excitement of the trip with the smell that takes me back to being a kid and feeling/smelling the same thing.

Love the smells in Spaceship Earth. But the smells, sights, feelings of walking down Mainstreet cannot be matched.

garthbarth1
10-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Another for soarin!!!

I love this smell. I found out here on the boards about the scent "leaves" at bath and body works. Smells very similar to it. :)
It's out now for the fall season.

I love the old Main Street bakery smell (idk if it is still there with the addition of Starbucks)

Also the candy scent at the end of the boo to you parade.

What is this candy scent you speak of?? WE have seen the parade numerous times and never noticed a smell??

Kenny1113
10-20-2014, 10:27 PM
It has been several years (I think 2011 or 2012 was our last MNSSHP) but At the end with goofy's candy machine there is a sweet candy smell.

DunkieKong
10-20-2014, 11:47 PM
I think I'm probably the only one, but I love the smell of the Tomorrowland Speedway. The smell of burnt gas just reminds me of visiting as a kid.

stephicakes
10-21-2014, 11:36 AM
No, seriously… at Crew’s Cup Lounge at the YC the bacon lardons on my Wedge Romaine Salad tasted just like the smell of Rome burning. Very smoky and very distinct. I don’t know how to explain it but I even had DH try one and he agreed! One of my favorite smells so fun stuff! Give it a try :thumbsup:

But hands down my very favorite smell in all of WDW is the lobby of BC. AMAZING. :cloud9:

baldburke
10-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Funny, whenever we encounter an enclosed heavily chlorinated water area back home with wife will often say, "Smells like Disney water!"

The AKL is the best! The Poly lobby used to have the Disney water smell. Maybe it will get a new smell for its new lobby?

KAJUNKING
10-21-2014, 12:48 PM
rome burning, any ride with water, oranges in soarin :mickey:

Gator
10-23-2014, 04:21 PM
There's a smell in Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. It's probably the water. And all our WDW vacations start there.

Anytime we're out and something reminds us of that smell, DW will say, "That reminds me of the Rainforest Cafe." Immediately, I'm transported to the beginning of another great vacation.

I've done this many times. Something about room temp water turning into mold that makes me want to take a vacation!

Also, and don't laugh, there's a certain chemical used at the restrooms at AK. It's especially strong at the one near Flame Tree BBQ. Clearly, I've spent too much time in this one, but every now and then I'll find another restroom that uses the same scented chemical and it'll transport me back. Sure, it transports me to a bathroom, but its a bathroom at WDW! And that's special, right?

mgmnut
10-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Deffinately
The early morning smell of florida as i am walking to the bus stop. Anyone know what I mean? I sometimes smell it here in Virginia Beach on an early summer morning.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean!

Spaceship Earth
Any Water Ride

Lindsey310
10-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Love love love these smells:
Rome burning in Spaceship earth
The smell of the water in splash mountain
The smell of pirates of the Caribbean
The smell of the bakery in Germany
The smell of Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby
The smell of Wilderness lodge and beach club lobby :mickey:

42 days!!!!!! :joy::cloud9: :mickey3:

mdricks
10-24-2014, 12:17 PM
The smell that always brings it back for me is the unique scent of the monorail.

I bought a pair of new shoes once that smelled just like it out of the box.

I never wear them, I just open the box every once in awhile.....

:number1:

barbiegirl314
10-24-2014, 12:31 PM
For us it's the Monorail, the A/c smell, the water on splash mountain, and the smells of main street (popcorn, bakery, candy store) combining for a distinct Disney smell:cloud9:

Susan A
10-27-2014, 10:18 AM
This is similar, but when disembarking the plane in Orlando, I say, "smells like Florida!"

I have a very strong sense of smell. Smells bring back memories of places, people and events. Also, the sense of smell and taste are connected. That's why smoked bacon can taste like the burning smell on Spaceship Earth. :mickey:

DDoftwo
10-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I also will jump on the Rome SSE bandwagon. I love that smell, walking down Mainstreet drives my senses wild as well, oh and Soarin, POTC, and call me crazy but Tomorrowland Speedway. Awesome Post!

cer
10-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Ahh, yes! The Monorail.

Scallywag
11-17-2014, 06:47 PM
POTC
HM
Splash Mtn.
The Land building
Mexico
SE
Rain Forest
T-Rex café
OHANA!

ransam
11-18-2014, 01:05 AM
how bout AK early in the morning. LOL

baldburke
11-18-2014, 12:57 PM
The smell of Wilderness lodge and beach club lobby

I knew the lobby smell at AKL was distinct, wasn't aware that WL and BC had distinct odors as well. I'm assuming they are piney and oceany, respectively? I've been to WL a couple times but don't recall an odor. The Poly used to smell like Disney water. I wonder what it will smell like when the refurb is done? I'd love to get a bottle of the AKL scent.

Mitzie
11-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Living With the Land. Love that one. Just thinking about it puts me in my happy place.

joonyer
11-19-2014, 05:24 PM
It's the Bromine in the water in the water based attractions! Whenever I smell it anywhere else, I am immediately transported to WDW.

Kaps
11-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Soarin and Philhamagic love them both. Also love the bakery smell on main st. Anything there is better than the smell of work here

azcavalier
12-13-2014, 03:17 PM
It's the Bromine in the water in the water based attractions! Whenever I smell it anywhere else, I am immediately transported to WDW.

There is a public bathroom on campus here (I work at Virginia Tech) that uses the same air freshener that is used in the WDW restrooms. I think it's funny, but yeah....it takes me back to WDW.

twinboyz
12-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Love the smell of Florida in the morning. Also, walking past Boardwalk Bakery. Definitely POC. Also the Mexico Marketplace. France Bakery in EPCOT.

Great post!:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
12-16-2014, 11:32 AM

We have eaten at a few Rainforest Cafes outside of WDW, and each time I feel transported to Disney! It's the smell that gets me every time!

buzznwoodysmom
12-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Deffinately Splash
Also, the lobby at AKL...

I know exactly what you mean! We live in southern Louisiana and there are many school mornings either myself or my kids comment that it feels or smells like a Disney morning.

buzznwoodysmom
12-16-2014, 11:37 AM
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I love the smell of the lobbies at the Grand Floridian and the Beach Club!

This is my all time favorite smell in WDW!!!

Mrs Bus Driver
12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Ahh the sweet smell of diesel in the morning :mickey:. There are several places in WDW and DL where you can smell the oils from diesel/hydraulics like the monorail and people mover. It is especially noticeable first thing in the morning before the park gets crowded. As a school bus driver I would smell it every morning when I walked through the bus yard. It would always make me think of tomorrowland, because that is where the smell is always strongest.:mickey: