PDA

View Full Version : Rehabs

DonaldsBFF
10-11-2014, 06:59 AM
We are going end of jan 2015 and saw Splash Mountain scheduled to be down thru 30th. Any chance of that being back up earlier based on past? Also I saw Kali will be down in nov. and on another site it shows Jan thru early Feb. Which one is right or are they both and why so close if it will be nov and jan?

Strmchsr
10-12-2014, 08:49 AM
No chance on Splash being up early. That's a yearly thing and it's never back up early.

Kali will be closed Jan 20-Feb 2.

ransam
10-12-2014, 07:00 PM
The only time I've seen it open was during a rehab of thunder mountain.

RunDMV
10-12-2014, 07:26 PM
The geniuses who run the park have yet to figure out that a large segment of guests go the same time every year -during marathon time- and they never get to ride Slash Mountain because thats when the refurbishment is always scheduled.

Strmchsr
10-13-2014, 09:54 AM
The geniuses who run the park have yet to figure out that a large segment of guests go the same time every year -during marathon time- and they never get to ride Slash Mountain because thats when the refurbishment is always scheduled.

Actually, they're very aware of that. The issue is, less people want to ride Splash Mtn in January than any other month because, in general, that's the coldest month of the year in Orlando. SM is a high maintenance ride and requires the annual refurb to keep it running even halfway decently. So, it's unfortunate for those folks who come only during January each year, but it's the best option for park operations.

RunDMV
10-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Actually, they're very aware of that. The issue is, less people want to ride Splash Mtn in January than any other month because, in general, that's the coldest month of the year in Orlando. SM is a high maintenance ride and requires the annual refurb to keep it running even halfway decently. So, it's unfortunate for those folks who come only during January each year, but it's the best option for park operations.
No. Its dumb. 2 or three days for the park does not make a difference. 2 or 3 days for the guest, does.

Polynesian Dweller
10-13-2014, 01:56 PM
No. Its dumb. 2 or three days for the park does not make a difference. 2 or 3 days for the guest, does.

So when would you do it? In the coldest month in a Florida (January) when most people don't want to get wet or a warmer month like May to October when most people do, over the Christmas period (Nov -Dec), spring breaks (February-April)? There would be far more complaints at those times. Their decision looks pretty smart to me.

And what's this about 2-3 days when the Splash refurb is a month.

RunDMV
10-13-2014, 07:31 PM
So when would you do it? In the coldest month in a Florida (January) when most people don't want to get wet or a warmer month like May to October when most people do, over the Christmas period (Nov -Dec), spring breaks (February-April)? There would be far more complaints at those times. Their decision looks pretty smart to me.

And what's this about 2-3 days when the Splash refurb is a month.

The refurb is always two or three days before the marathon...you know, that event that attracts 25,000 to 30,000 participants and their families? Instead of having it two or three days BEFORE the marathon weekend, start the refurb two or three days AFTER the marathon weekend.

The "coldest time of the year" statement is goofy (pun intended) because it is not unusual to be in the 70's or higher in January.

yankeesfan123
10-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Anyways, January is the only month when it can go down. It's still the slowest month and it is still the coldest month.

An extra 25,000 guests for a weekend is nothing compared to president's week, spring break, easter, summer, MNSSHP, or Christmas time.

Could they wait until after the marathon weekend to start it?

Maybe.. but then someone is going to complaint "well, just delay it a little longer until after MLK weekend..." and on and on and on.

It needs to go down. It's the "best" time for it to go down, even if it stinks for a lot of people.

RunDMV
10-14-2014, 07:40 AM
Anyways, January is the only month when it can go down. It's still the slowest month and it is still the coldest month.

An extra 25,000 guests for a weekend is nothing compared to president's week, spring break, easter, summer, MNSSHP, or Christmas time.

Maybe.. but then someone is going to complaint "well, just delay it a little longer until after MLK weekend..." and on and on and on.

It needs to go down. It's the "best" time for it to go down, even if it stinks for a lot of people.

"Maybe.. but then someone is going to complaint "well, just delay it a little longer until after MLK weekend..." and on and on and on."

Like the powers that be, you are not listening. I dont care that it goes down. In fact, i encourage it to go down. It NEEDS to go down. I fully understand refurbs Just dont do it the same time every year.

RunDMV
10-14-2014, 07:45 AM

"Maybe.. but then someone is going to complaint "well, just delay it a little longer until after MLK weekend..." and on and on and on."

Like the powers that be, you are not listening. I dont care that it goes down. In fact, i encourage it to go down. It NEEDS to go down. I fully understand refurbs Just dont do it the same time every year. And its not "an extra 25,000 guests" as you misrepresented my post. Its 25,000-30,000 AND THEIR FAMILIES.

VWL Mom
10-14-2014, 09:28 AM
MODERATOR ALERT

Please remember INTERCOT's TOS. While we encourage subject discussions, they must be kept civil.

jclightchasr
10-15-2014, 10:37 AM
What are the Dates for the Marathon in January? Sounds like they are always the same so I know when to avoid. Looking to have lowest crowds if thats even possible anymore.

Strmchsr
10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
What are the Dates for the Marathon in January? Sounds like they are always the same so I know when to avoid. Looking to have lowest crowds if thats even possible anymore.

Marathon Weekend is Jan 7-11, 2015. An, no, low crowds aren't possible anymore. You'll hit low days here and there, but with the huge surge in South American tour groups (year round, but especially in July and January) and the number of folks taking kids out of school instead of waiting on school vacations it's pretty much busy 12 months out of the year now. Just some weeks worse than others.