PDA

View Full Version : Off Kilter

mrte62
10-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Saw the new Lumberjack show this morning. Stood near some of the suits. Just horrible. Once is too much. Just had a nice conversation with 2 CMs from Canada. Word is the suits cannot believe the reaction to the new show and the passion they are hearing about Off Kilter.

I am just the messenger.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-06-2014, 08:01 PM
There are so many awesome things they could have done to showcase Canada, and a lumberjack show isn't one of them!

I was "bleh" on Off Kilter, but we need something decent as a replacement!

BrerGnat
10-06-2014, 08:41 PM
There is a video of the full show on You Tube. I was willing to be positive about this show, because I have seen a GOOD lumberjack show, but after seeing the video (which was HARD to watch), I cannot even believe this is for real. It. Is. Terrible.

There are chainsaws. Loud chainsaws. In Epcot.

No. Just...no.

mrte62
10-06-2014, 09:16 PM
You had to see management trying to lead the cheers through the groans.

Well the beer is still good. :mickey:j

Melanie
10-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Wow. Speechless.

cer
10-07-2014, 10:29 AM
We watched it online last night, too.

It was so...awkward.

Patricia
10-07-2014, 11:08 AM
There is very little of Canada left that is interesting. How embarrassing. :blush:

Janmac
10-07-2014, 03:04 PM
DH would love to watch this. :thumbsup: He's easily pleased.

If it's still going in the summer of 2016 - tentative trip planned to celebrate his birthday.

Jan

ransam
10-08-2014, 04:46 AM
ok, i'm an optimistic guy. I've seen lots of lumberjack shows and liked them. That was really bad.

kakn7294
10-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah, watched the video - I'm really not looking forward to running past this...

MrPeetrie
10-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Watched the video of this last night as I though it could not be as bad as depicted above. It's worse. We have NO intention to see this show.

On the other hand, we were HUGE Off Kilter fans. We always checked their schedule to make sure we'd see them at least once at Epcot. (We made it a point to see them each trip.) We love their music and even have two of their CDs, which we still listen to occasionally.

Suits, if you're listening (which I fear you're not,) bad decision!

Altair
10-09-2014, 07:02 AM
You can watch the final shows of Off-Kilter and Maelstrom on YouTube. One thing they both have in common is how fast security shows up.
:(

Melanie
10-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm through about 5 minutes of this, and all I can say is WHO CARES? This is like watching grass grow for me. And I'm upset that they are using the Mill Stage as it was for Off Kilter for this. :(

Terrible. Just terrible. I'm glad I watched at home (well, kind of), so I won't waste time at the park.

TheVBs
10-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Really sorry to hear people are not finding this show entertaining. I was hoping it would be fun to watch. I try to avoid watching videos at home though. We'll stop by next time were there and see what it's like.

I asked this in the thread about Epcot's change in entertainment, but thought I'd try again here. What would be a good replacement show? What do people think would be something entertaining that would do a good job of representing Canadian culture? I'm especially interested in hearing from our Canadian members.

stephicakes
10-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm through about 5 minutes of this, and all I can say is WHO CARES? This is like watching grass grow for me. And I'm upset that they are using the Mill Stage as it was for Off Kilter for this. :(

Terrible. Just terrible. I'm glad I watched at home (well, kind of), so I won't waste time at the park.

Ditto. Looks like an amateur demonstration I would see at a local fair. And I'd walk past it at the fair too...

BrerGnat
10-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Really sorry to hear people are not finding this show entertaining. I was hoping it would be fun to watch. I try to avoid watching videos at home though. We'll stop by next time were there and see what it's like.

I asked this in the thread about Epcot's change in entertainment, but thought I'd try again here. What would be a good replacement show? What do people think would be something entertaining that would do a good job of representing Canadian culture? I'm especially interested in hearing from our Canadian members.

You really should watch the video. I guarantee if you waste even five minutes of your park time watching this show in person you will be VERY upset.

TheVBs
10-09-2014, 01:28 PM
You really should watch the video. I guarantee if you waste even five minutes of your park time watching this show in person you will be VERY upset.

OK, I had to go watch it after I read this. You made me laugh!

And, yes, awful. I have to admit I didn't make it through the whole thing. I started to doze off about 2 minutes in. Tried jumping ahead to different spots and it didn't get any better.

BrerGnat
10-09-2014, 01:38 PM
OK, I had to go watch it after I read this. You made me laugh!

And, yes, awful. I have to admit I didn't make it through the whole thing. I started to doze off about 2 minutes in. Tried jumping ahead to different spots and it didn't get any better.

LOL! I couldn't watch it all the way through either. I jumped ahead several times. It is so, so bad.

Fangorn
10-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Perhaps I now know why there's a 25 min wait for Imagination today - people are taking any option to avoid this show!

Steve

DizneyFreak2002
10-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Five minutes Mel? I couldn't get through 2 minutes...

Remember when I said they continue to dumb WDW down? Welcome to Walmart Disney World!!!! All in the name of saving a buck...

Polynesian Dweller
10-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Five minutes Mel? I couldn't get through 2 minutes...

Remember when I said they continue to dumb WDW down? Welcome to Walmart Disney World!!!! All in the name of saving a buck...

Can't agree with that. If it was about saving a dollar they would have simply gotten rid of the acts and not have announced they are replacing them. The cost difference will be very minimal in a budget like Disney's. Yes, using the penny pinching is always a ready argument looking good on the face of it. But as we who have studied stats can tell you face validity is not the same as actual validity.

It is about trying to freshen the park. Off Kilter has been around for nearly twenty years and yes still popular with its fan base. It didn't take much observation to realize that it's draw was less and the vast majority were just walking by. Same can be said for the other acts.

First, attempts may not work but they'll get eyes just from curiosity and at least it's something new. I hope they start a new policy of changing acts regularly do there are new things to see. That would keep the park from getting stale.

DizneyFreak2002
10-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Can't agree with that. If it was about saving a dollar they would have simply gotten rid of the acts and not have announced they are replacing them. The cost difference will be very minimal in a budget like Disney's. Yes, using the penny pinching is always a ready argument looking good on the face of it. But as we who have studied stats can tell you face validity is not the same as actual validity.

It is about trying to freshen the park. Off Kilter has been around for nearly twenty years and yes still popular with its fan base. It didn't take much observation to realize that it's draw was less and the vast majority were just walking by. Same can be said for the other acts.

First, attempts may not work but they'll get eyes just from curiosity and at least it's something new. I hope they start a new policy of changing acts regularly do there are new things to see. That would keep the park from getting stale.

Wrong... There were budget cuts to entertainment... Off Kilter was Equity... Equity acts are paid more... This new group isn't Equity... They are being paid less... This move isn't about freshening up the parks... This move was budget driven... No matter what kind of spin marketing tries to put on things..

Terra
10-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Well said.
Personally wasn't a fan of off-kilter. Not really into the music thing in general. They sounded good don't get me wrong. Just like the England band. But I just listen as I pass by.
Hopefully they'll find a good act to replace them.

Now for France! I never did care for the balancing chair guy.

Melanie
10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Well said.

Personally wasn't a fan of off-kilter. Not really into the music thing in general. They sounded good don't get me wrong. Just like the England band. But I just listen as I pass by.

Hopefully they'll find a good act to replace them.

Now for France! I never did care for the balancing chair guy.

So what do you like around WS?? Not Canada, France or England. So no music? That negates the Voices of Liberty, the Taiko in Japan, and the mariachi in Mexico. Like WS Players? They are gone too.

Polynesian Dweller
10-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Wrong... There were budget cuts to entertainment... Off Kilter was Equity... Equity acts are paid more... This new group isn't Equity... They are being paid less... This move isn't about freshening up the parks... This move was budget driven... No matter what kind of spin marketing tries to put on things..

Well, I guess we'll disagree. I still think you cut them altogether if it's only about budget cuts. Replacing a large portion of a budget and thus reducing the savings is not a very good argument at the budget table for the action. And, the entertainment budget within the context of the entire park budget isn't exactly large and the savings become even less impressive with replacements adding back in cost.

Terra
10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
So what do you like around WS?? Not Canada, France or England. So no music? That negates the Voices of Liberty, the Taiko in Japan, and the mariachi in Mexico. Like WS Players? They are gone too.

I don't think I clarified my post enough. Sorry about that. I didn't say that I think they should do away with all that. Of course not! I was stating my personal preference.
I'm not much into the 'singing music'. But I actually love Japan's drumming and the Mariachi!!

Just stating my own opinion on what I like/don't like. No one will every like everything, together at once.
Now if I *was* looking at replacing acts with similar styles, I would maybe look into a show that chronicles the musical aspect of the land from the beginning until current, play a little from each era maybe?

BrerGnat
10-10-2014, 09:54 AM
I don't think I clarified my post enough. Sorry about that. I didn't say that I think they should do away with all that. Of course not! I was stating my personal preference.
I'm not much into the 'singing music'. But I actually love Japan's drumming and the Mariachi!!

Just stating my own opinion on what I like/don't like. No one will every like everything, together at once.
Now if I *was* looking at replacing acts with similar styles, I would maybe look into a show that chronicles the musical aspect of the land from the beginning until current, play a little from each era maybe?

I agree with you on the singing music. I find ALL of it, at EVERY park to be distracting. I hate those street shows at DHS too. Vocal stuff like that in a theme park really has a jarring effect on the atmosphere, IMO.

I can handle MUSIC just fine. I would be happy to listen to culturally diverse music around WS. Just no singing/vocal acts.

I have no issue with vocal musical acts if they are located indoors as a stage show, and you don't have to hear it if you don't want to.

Mickey'sGirl
10-10-2014, 09:56 AM
I can handle MUSIC just fine. I would be happy to listen to culturally diverse music around WS. Just no singing/vocal acts.

I have no issue with vocal musical acts if they are located indoors as a stage show, and you don't have to hear it if you don't want to.I agree one hundred percent. (Though I love the street performers at DHS!)

BrerGnat
10-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree one hundred percent. (Though I love the street performers at DHS!)

I guess I was thinking mostly of that traveling band at DHS. Mulch, Sweat, and Shears? Or something like that? SO loud and always bothered my ears.

bdm@pga
10-10-2014, 10:03 AM
After reading everything, I just had to watch. WOW...what happened to polished? The reason I go to Disney World time and time again is because I know what I am getting. I get the magic, the pomp and circumstance, the feeling of being entertained non stop..whether I am in a show or in a line. This...seriously...looks like they threw a bunch of guys on stage and said "be lumberjacks!". Maybe if they rehearsed it a few hundred more times, but it just seems second rate...Like something a smaller amusement park would throw together...a carnival show...I think competitive lumberjacks COULD be entertaining...not as much as OFF KILTER...but could have possibilities...but not in this form...come on Disney! Get it together!!

Terra
10-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree with you on the singing music. I find ALL of it, at EVERY park to be distracting. I hate those street shows at DHS too. Vocal stuff like that in a theme park really has a jarring effect on the atmosphere, IMO.

I have no issue with vocal musical acts if they are located indoors as a stage show, and you don't have to hear it if you don't want to.
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. In the countries I'd rather experience shows that demonstrate their cultural history/current state. The issue is finding the right "show" to do that.

I think that's what they are trying in Canada. While forestry is a big part, it doesn't make for an entertaining show [in my opinion].

minnie04
10-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I just watched this show on YouTube, and I can tell you I skipped through the video super fast. I didn't care for it at all. It went on way too long for each thing. It wasn't fun watching them do all the chopping, maybe if they let the guest act out things it would work, but for now I’m glad I don’t have to see it again. Try even a character (or two) do something to keep your attention.

KylesMom
10-10-2014, 11:45 AM
This . . . Is . . . AWFUL! :shake:

Speedy1998
10-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Is the show actually in it's final form? I heard it was just a soft opening right now.

BrerGnat
10-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Is the show actually in it's final form? I heard it was just a soft opening right now.

I think these guys used to do this show elsewhere (think: county fairs) and were picked up by Disney. This IS their show.

Zawadi
10-10-2014, 04:49 PM

I lasted 40 SECONDS! That's all I can say

Stu29573
10-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Very "State Fair....ish" Even at the fair I would last about five minutes at this ...

Terra
10-11-2014, 07:03 AM
I'm heading over this afternoon to the Food and Wine festival for the evening. I'll think of you all [and report back] as I walk by with a :beer: in my hand, shaking my head at the chainsaws. :secret:

hoop de do
10-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Be careful not to get any wood chips in your beer, :ack:

Terra
10-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Be careful not to get any wood chips in your beer, :ack:

:blush::blush: I was safe. They weren't playing when we got around to there. But the stage was exposed and no one was stopping to even look. LOL

Disney Doll
10-11-2014, 08:12 PM
There are chainsaws. Loud chainsaws. In Epcot.

No. Just...no.

That about sums it up. It boggles the mind.

I also dislike that lumberjacks in plaid is what they chose to represent the entire country of Canada. WS is feeling less and less like an opportunity to learn abut each country and more like a stereotypical representation of what Americans imagine these countries to be. That's always been an issue for me, but it seems like we should be able to expect progress with new shows and this one misses the mark.

EeyoresBestFriend
10-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Wow . . . really? Lumberjacks in plaid. . .

Somehow I don't equate my Country with either. Disappointed that the band was not replaced with another maritime style band - like they did with the British bands.

But really - Lumberjacks?? Are they even from Canada because truly, our lumber industry is not doing that well. :D Someone REALLY missed the mark.

mrte62
10-19-2014, 09:35 PM
We have been back a week. Just got off the phone with our son who is away at college for his senior year. He and his brother and one of his sisters saw this show last week with us. He (and the rest of us) voted this the "Worst Hot Mess" of the trip.

As my daughter said: Picture if there was a New Jersey Pavilion and it had a Jersey Shore tribute Band for entertainment. You woke up the next day and found out that it was being replaced by a "How to be like the Sopranos" show.

She said tell the folks in Canada to be insulted and angry.