PDA

View Full Version : More single Rider Lines Please

Goofy-n-Alabama
10-06-2014, 03:48 PM
OK, if Disney would create single rider lines for all the popular rides, I feel that this would help to alleviate the congestion and hatred for the new fast-pass+ system :thedolls:. I was there this past weekend with my son and brother. We rode multiple rides in the single rider line and waitef like 10 minutes and compared to 45-60 in the regular line. I know some people will not want to split up, but there are tons of people who would and this would cut down on everyones wait time in the main kiosk. What does everybody else think? By the way had a truely Magical time:mickey:

PlutoPlanet
10-06-2014, 04:39 PM
I agree. DD does the single rider line for Everest, and she almost never waits. We do single rider for Test Track and have 5 minute waits even during prime time.

BrerGnat
10-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Agree. Disneyland does more single rider than WDW and I love it! They do it on Splash, Indiana Jones, Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', California Screamin, Radiator Springs Racers. There might be more that I am forgetting. It is SUCH an easy thing to implement and I don't understand why it's not more prevalent at WDW.

Terra
10-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Agree. Disneyland does more single rider than WDW and I love it! They do it on Splash, Indiana Jones, Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', California Screamin, Radiator Springs Racers. There might be more that I am forgetting. It is SUCH an easy thing to implement and I don't understand why it's not more prevalent at WDW.

Oh wow, that is great!
I agree as well. Would love some SR rides. I got quite often by myself with out my sons and it would be a nice option.

texas211
10-06-2014, 08:30 PM

See, and I think that exacerbates the problems. Plus, I'm anti anything DL. Plus, in many ways, they work in single folks (who really aren't single, but working their group in that way).

I'd rather they make the FP system a for pay system like at Universal.

BrerGnat
10-06-2014, 08:39 PM
See, and I think that exacerbates the problems. Plus, I'm anti anything DL. Plus, in many ways, they work in single folks (who really aren't single, but working their group in that way).

I'd rather they make the FP system a for pay system like at Universal.

Exacerbates what problems?

Terra
10-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Exacerbates what problems?

Ditto on the question.

And really, I don't get the big deal if a group *is* willing to split up. Generally that's what it is for. If you all want to sit together, it's standby. But I've actually heard CMs say if a group is willing to split up [at TT], they can go to SR line.

PirateLover
10-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I do think all coasters/thrill rides should have single rider line. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want to compete with a stranger on a ride like TSM. Splash at DL is different in the seating, so I wouldn't mind it as much there as I would at WDW. Sitting side by side with a total stranger on a 10+ minute slow ride is not my cup of tea.

Terra
10-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I do think all coasters/thrill rides should have single rider line. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want to compete with a stranger on a ride like TSM. Splash at DL is different in the seating, so I wouldn't mind it as much there as I would at WDW. Sitting side by side with a total stranger on a 10+ minute slow ride is not my cup of tea.
Oh but that's when the fun begins!! You can scared death...on a slow ride...ask if they mind to hold your hand ;)

ransam
10-08-2014, 04:48 AM
I am not sure if single lines are good for WDW as opposed to DL. WDW is much more a family park, where DL is a park where you see more couples and friends going to.

mrte62
10-08-2014, 04:51 PM
DW and I rode as single riders on Test Track Monday. Two rides by 9:30 am.

A woman complained to a CM that my wife being in the car ruined her family picture - and they had a FP!

texas211
10-08-2014, 06:44 PM
I think its a false flow reducer (like HOV lanes). Doesn't really help the capacity issue, just more people waiting in line. I'd also have them design line methods or ride capacity as to have shorter lines for normal family size groups.

It may help the minority single rider types, but for families, still an issue.. and really shouldn't it be the goal to reduce the wait for 2 or more. I think the perception of taking advantage of space doesn't really improve wait times (at least not significantly). Plus, so often I've been on rides like TSM and see a tour group or something, that will fill up the single rider, then render the general idea of that useless.

BrerGnat
10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
I think its a false flow reducer (like HOV lanes). Doesn't really help the capacity issue, just more people waiting in line. I'd also have them design line methods or ride capacity as to have shorter lines for normal family size groups.

It may help the minority single rider types, but for families, still an issue.. and really shouldn't it be the goal to reduce the wait for 2 or more. I think the perception of taking advantage of space doesn't really improve wait times (at least not significantly). Plus, so often I've been on rides like TSM and see a tour group or something, that will fill up the single rider, then render the general idea of that useless.

The purpose is not to reduce waits. It is to fill seats that would otherwise be empty.

The single rider line does not increase waits for anyone nor does it decrease waits except for the people who choose to use it.

Aurora
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
The purpose is not to reduce waits. It is to fill seats that would otherwise be empty.

The single rider line does not increase waits for anyone nor does it decrease waits except for the people who choose to use it.

It actually does decrease waits a small amount. If you have 300 seats available and are only filling 250, those extra 50 people are still waiting in line. If you have a group of four people who use the single rider line to fill up those seats that otherwise go unused, that's four people who aren't waiting for the next car for Test Track.

BrerGnat
10-08-2014, 08:19 PM
It actually does decrease waits a small amount. If you have 300 seats available and are only filling 250, those extra 50 people are still waiting in line. If you have a group of four people who use the single rider line to fill up those seats that otherwise go unused, that's four people who aren't waiting for the next car for Test Track.

But the single rider line is separate. It is not counted in the ride's wait time.

Hog
10-09-2014, 08:16 AM
My issue with single rider lines is exactly what some people said. When a large tour group enters the single rider line it ruins it for people who may actually be alone or be with a family member who doesn't want to ride. This increases their wait time which isn't always fair.

Aurora
10-09-2014, 02:33 PM
But the single rider line is separate. It is not counted in the ride's wait time.

I'm probably not explaining it well. I don't mean it decreases the reported wait time that's shown. What I mean is that if four people in a group choose to go in the single-rider line rather than the regular line, they're not adding to the regular line time. It's sort of backwards -- looking at it as "not adding" to the wait time rather than subtracting from it. But it still results in shortening what would have been a longer wait. Because rather than those four people waiting to fill up the next car, thus making the people behind them wait, they each go in a car that's already accommodating other people.

Terra
10-09-2014, 03:27 PM
My issue with single rider lines is exactly what some people said. When a large tour group enters the single rider line it ruins it for people who may actually be alone or be with a family member who doesn't want to ride. This increases their wait time which isn't always fair.

I'm still not understanding. How is it not fair? If a group is willing to be split up and they don't care who they sit by then what is unfair about it?
It's not different than a family of 4 who don't mind not riding together.

texas211
10-10-2014, 07:16 PM
B/c there are a lot of assumptions being made.

I"d rather them go away w/ the separate lines and just stick w/ the FP system (in whatever form).

2Epcot
10-10-2014, 10:23 PM

I think you got most of them Natalie. Grizzly River Run has a single rider, though they eliminated the single rider on Toy Story Mania. I think the personal space was too close for some people.

I'm a big fan of the single rider lines. Most of the times I've ridden Radiator Springs Racers, I've used the single rider. The only time I don't is when I take my son, who is too young to do single ride. In those cases we only ride it when we get to the park early enough for a FastPass.

I hate when you're waiting in line and see empty seats. The single rider fills those.

SteveO
10-15-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm jumping into this thread late but wanted to add my take on single rider lines. I am a solo traveler to WDW. I'm a pretty friendly guy and can strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone but there are times when waiting in lines alone is kind of a drag. That's when the single rider lines are a blessing.

polarbear72834
10-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I suppose having a stranger ride with you on test track is ok for some people , but I really think it's a pain in the rear and ruins the ride for my hubby and me.. It would be better if they would just put a load of single riders together in a car , then to put them in with a couple that is not thrilled to have them crammed up against them . Better for the couple and for the single riders.. But to each his own...

Hammer
10-17-2014, 04:18 PM
I am a big fan of the single rider line! This is how my sister and I combat the tiered attractions for Epcot and DHS. We use our tier 1 FP for Soarin and TSMM and ride Test Track and Rockin Roller Coaster using the single rider line. We are fine if we do not sit together as we never buy the photo as my hair is always blowing back and my caveman forehead shows up ;) .

SteveO
10-18-2014, 01:10 PM
I suppose having a stranger ride with you on test track is ok for some people , but I really think it's a pain in the rear and ruins the ride for my hubby and me.. It would be better if they would just put a load of single riders together in a car , then to put them in with a couple that is not thrilled to have them crammed up against them . Better for the couple and for the single riders.. But to each his own...

Polarbear, I get what you are saying and I have to say that while I don't mind sitting next to strangers, I do worry about the people I'm seated next to not being comfortable. I have co-dependency issues. :secret: I do have to say that I am sad to hear that having someone join you ruins the ride for you.

badkitty
10-18-2014, 01:51 PM
As a single rider because DBF can't/won't do anything fast moving, even if I was in the regular standby or FP lanes I would still be put in a three-seat-car with two people I didn't know. I would never get a row to myself. I therefore will always "ruin" some couple or family picture/experience, single rider queue or not.

On a related note, BTMR will assign me my own row. Once a group of three adults tried to squeeze into the row in front of me. The last guy trying to get in looked at me and asked if he could sit with me. I was a bit uncomfortable to say yes as I do like my personal space and knowing how the ride doesn't permit maintaining distance but for some reason I said okay. We all had the best time and took a group photo after!